BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convert) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convert) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Thu, May-22-2014, 08:56:24 PM   #1
VF-Engineering
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Default \ VF-Engineering: E9x M3 oil cooler /

The VF-Engineering E9x M3 Oil cooler is the latest solution available for the s65 engine oil system. Production manufactured by CSF for VF and utilizing the latest in technology, the VF oil cooler contains densely packed bars and plates to provide the greatest surface area for heat exchange. Complimented as well with 2 extra rows of cooling, the advantages over the factory oil cooler are more than what meets the eye when put side-to-side by your current factory cooler.

Precise, factory fitment allows for easy 1-for-1 installation. No modifications are required.

The VF M3 oil cooler is also compatible with all surrounding modifications in which the factory cooler is applicable. Whether you already have a supercharger or you are simply looking to add reliability with vastly improved oil cooling to your factory-spec M3, this oil cooler will help keep your oil temps in check in arduous conditions on the track or sitting in traffic.

The graphs below show both Engine Oil temperature and coolant temperature of the VF oil cooler vs. the factory oil cooler. The coolant temperature was used as the control during the measurement/dyno run. Reaching the same starting point with Oil Temperature was not possible because of the increased cooling (this is a good thing for real world use) Starting at the same coolant temperature assured that the same airflow was consistent through each test run.

Drive Dynamic.
Audi | BMW | Lamborghini | Porsche | Spyker
e: sales@vf-engineering.com
p: 714-528-0066
Jump to top VF-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, May-23-2014, 05:09:50 AM   #2
Tim K

United States

Default Re: \ VF-Engineering: E9x M3 oil cooler /

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post
The VF-Engineering E9x M3 Oil cooler is the latest solution available for the s65 engine oil system. Production manufactured by CSF for VF and utilizing the latest in technology, the VF oil cooler contains densely packed bars and plates to provide the greatest surface area for heat exchange. Complimented as well with 2 extra rows of cooling, the advantages over the factory oil cooler are more than what meets the eye when put side-to-side by your current factory cooler.

Precise, factory fitment allows for easy 1-for-1 installation. No modifications are required.

The VF M3 oil cooler is also compatible with all surrounding modifications in which the factory cooler is applicable. Whether you already have a supercharger or you are simply looking to add reliability with vastly improved oil cooling to your factory-spec M3, this oil cooler will help keep your oil temps in check in arduous conditions on the track or sitting in traffic.

The graphs below show both Engine Oil temperature and coolant temperature of the VF oil cooler vs. the factory oil cooler. The coolant temperature was used as the control during the measurement/dyno run. Reaching the same starting point with Oil Temperature was not possible because of the increased cooling (this is a good thing for real world use) Starting at the same coolant temperature assured that the same airflow was consistent through each test run.

It's nice to see another choice for aftermarket oil cooling for the S65 engine.
I noticed the VF cooler is similar in size to the M24 cooler, and I thought I would share some observations regarding the installation of the M24 cooler, as it appears the installation of the VF cooler will involve the same process.

I recently fitted the M24 aftermarket oil cooler to my supercharged 2008 M3.
As my car had a build date of 3/2008, I noticed BMW used two different types of oil coolant lines on these early production vehicles (Realoem). An inspection of the connections confirmed the newer oil lines, which fit the VF cooler, were used on my car. Since it is a good idea to replace the O-rings on the lines when fitting a new cooler, owners of 2008 M3's with production dates through 3/2008 should check the lines before ordering a new cooler. This will ensure you order the correct O-rings, or, if necessary, order coolant lines which will fit the new cooler.
In one of the pictures of the VF cooler, one can see a plastic bracket which extends in front of the oil cooler. The bracket blocks air flow to the bottom 2 rows of tubes in the new cooler. As I had modified the brace when the supercharger intercooler was installed, and noted the bumper cover fitted better without the brace, I completely removed it when the new oil cooler was installed.
Last: the coolant lines will take time to remove and reinstall, mainly because there is limited space around the lines, and the lines and their attached flanges must be perfectly aligned before tightening the nut which secures each flange to the cooler. Take your time fitting the coolant lines to the new cooler.

Congrats to VF-Engineering. I am curious about the pricing of your new cooler.

Tim K
Jump to top Tim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-23-2014, 02:24:17 AM   #3
JustinH

In the garage:

I had this oil cooler installed about a week ago to aid with the excess heat generated by the s/c and have seen only a marginal difference in oil temps.
Overall temps seem slightly better but I was expecting more…. still getting significantly over 210 degrees in the city with ambient temps in the high 70s I could only imagine what’s going to happen at the track with 100+

anyone else experiencing this?

Jump to top JustinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-26-2014, 09:02:27 PM   #4
DodgeStratus

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
I had this oil cooler installed about a week ago to aid with the excess heat generated by the s/c and have seen only a marginal difference in oil temps.
Overall temps seem slightly better but I was expecting more…. still getting significantly over 210 degrees in the city with ambient temps in the high 70s I could only imagine what’s going to happen at the track with 100+

anyone else experiencing this?
'Significantly over 210' is rather vague. Honestly, our oil and motors are easily made to handle much higher temps than 210 routinely. Also, it's actually good for the oil to exceed 212 F on a regular basis since it burns off impurities.

The stock gauges are also known to read on the high side.

Another issue with an in-the-city measurement is that the matter the size of the oil cooler you're getting zero airflow. On the track you'll be getting great airflow.

Even on the highway my oil temp will drop to ~185 from the 210 it sees in stop and go.
Jump to top DodgeStratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-27-2014, 06:50:52 AM   #5
JustinH

In the garage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeStratus View Post
'Significantly over 210' is rather vague. Honestly, our oil and motors are easily made to handle much higher temps than 210 routinely. Also, it's actually good for the oil to exceed 212 F on a regular basis since it burns off impurities.

The stock gauges are also known to read on the high side.

Another issue with an in-the-city measurement is that the matter the size of the oil cooler you're getting zero airflow. On the track you'll be getting great airflow.

Even on the highway my oil temp will drop to ~185 from the 210 it sees in stop and go.
Yes I agree its vague... best way to show you is with a photo. I will admit from this angle it looks slightly exaggerated but I have seen the gauge slightly higher than this. If i had to put a value to this I'd guess its ~230.

On a related note....yesterday I had the car retuned and immediately noticed the oil temps have dropped back to 210 when idleing in traffic and on the freeway. The (less than stellar) tune provided by VF seemed to be the culprit

but I will say the intercooler is a very quality piece After all its built by CSF not VF

http://www.csfrace.com/csf-x-vf-engi...ooler-release/

Last edited by JustinH; Fri, Jun-27-2014 at 06:52:41 AM. Reason: resize huge images
Jump to top JustinH is offline   Reply With Quote