BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Tue, Jul-19-2005, 06:19:46 PM   #1
MPM3
Scale Bimmer Builder

Default DIY ///M Pedal Install w/ Photos

Here is some install photo of my pedals going in yesterday 7/18/05.

Remove the old rubber pads and place the new ///M pedals on top of the plastic and metal plates and clamp them. I used two small E-Z grip trigger clamps. I then put a small bubble level on top of the brake and clutch pedals to assure they were straight across the top. I marked through each hole using a sharp pencil. Remove the new pedals and using a spring punch mark each target leaving a small divet hole for your drill to center on.
Now I chose not to use any of the supplied nuts or washers. I first drilled a pilot hole in each divet mark using a #52 drill bit then followed up with the #40 drill which is the proper size for tapping a 3mm thread. The screws supplied are metric 3mm x .50 so I tapped each hole straight to the surface of the backing plate.

I also chose to cut each supplied screw because I did not want hardware protruding out the back of the pedals even if you looked from the side, you would see nothing. I cut the screws using a small Snap-On bolt cutter. A hack saw would work for this job too. After carefully grinding off the damaged threads on a hobby belt sander I then ran each screw through a 3mm x .50 die to clean up the damaged threads. This would insure I would not cross thread the plastic pedal backing plates. Remember not to over torque the screws into the plastic gas or clutch pedal. Snug is fine. On the top of the gas pedal the screws must be made dead flush or you will not be able to attain full throttle. In this car that would be disastrous!
Tapping the metal brake was the same except I used a drop of thread cutting oil on the tap and back off a little turn for every 1/8 forward turn of the tap to clean out the tap's cutting channels. This is standard practice when tapping any metal for screw threads.

After installing the main pedals I used a sharpened putty knife to slide behind the OEM motorsport pedal and sliding down the knife will stop when you hit a plastic rivet. Thanks to Dwette for informing me about these. Insert the putty knife from the side and hammer on the putty knife slicing through each rivet until all have been severed.

The dead pedal will simply fall away and can never be reinstalled again. A new one though could be simply pushed in someday if need be.
This picture will show you the general layout of the six nylon tabs that attach the dead pedal to the floor trim.

I then lined up the new dead pedal assuring the side angle cut lined up with the kick panels angle and holding it tight in place I marked each hole with a spring punch which again leaves a nice starter mark for the drill bit. I again used a #40 drill to drill only the plastic and not the metal fender floorboard an inch beyond. I used different screws than supplied as I did not like the galvanized yellow looking flat head screws provided. I used self tapping Oval Head 10 x 3/4 inch stainless steel hardware that looks more chrome like.

After vaccuming up the mess I was quite pleased with the results. The dead pedal is a tad short for the space but it is fine. I was surprised how sticky the rubber inserts are and how grippy they feel. I thought that my feet would slip off of the surfaces but the pedals feel rock solid and look really cool. For the $75.00 plus shipping I feel they are well worth the 2 hour install time. For those who choose to use the supplied nuts and washers I figure the time involved may be a bit less.

Hope those who wish to install these beautiful pedals find this write up worth while.

Cheers!
Milt P

'05 6/MT, Jet Black/Black, Prem Pkg, 19" BBS RS-GTs, Continental VMax 2s, Eibach Pros, Koni Yellow SA, Magnaflow Exhaust, aFe Stage 1 CAI, Powerchip software, Xenons, UUC EVO3 SSK & DSSR, BMW B/T phone w/cradle, CDV Delete, Clear Reflectors, 3M Clear bra

Last edited by MPM3; Sun, Jan-22-2006 at 01:11:48 AM.
Jump to top MPM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jul-21-2005, 05:24:55 AM   #2
boxed
boobies....

China

nice DIY. i installed the dead paddle over the current stock one. Lol.
Jump to top boxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-21-2005, 01:12:30 PM   #3
EMS///M3
At least I'm housebroken.

I know this is a total NOOB question, but where did you get the pedals? OEM?

(Second post - M3 by Monday. )
Jump to top EMS///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-21-2005, 04:02:56 PM   #4
RaptureM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS///M3
I know this is a total NOOB question, but where did you get the pedals? OEM?

(Second post - M3 by Monday. )
I believe the pedals aren't OEM (correct me if i'm wrong). Just search eBay for "BMW Pedals" and you'll find what you need.

Cheers!

Sponsor(s):
BimmerFreak
Milla Racing Motorsports
ModBargains
Vorsteiner

Jump to top RaptureM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-07-2005, 02:22:55 AM   #5
///m328is
Now looking for a M

Thanks for the tip.I was gonna start a noob question about if i have to remove the factory padding to install the new pedal or go over it.....See, I searched....Im a good boy!
Old Tue, Aug-09-2005, 03:24:29 AM   #6
Rez

Reputation: 637 Rez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Good job, I got the same pedals, and no they are not oEM but very nice neverthless.
Jump to top Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-21-2006, 08:24:08 AM   #7
jhalaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezus
Good job, I got the same pedals, and no they are not oEM but very nice neverthless.
Great post, especially about the Dead pedal, I was afraid I was gonna break something, but your post was very helpful. Now I have my nice new pedals installed and looking great. Thanks again for all the help, yet again this forum has been such a great resource and always appreciate it when people take the time to document with details and pictures to help others use.
Jump to top jhalaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-21-2006, 01:42:44 PM   #8
CarbonSMGII

India

Great job and good write up - I have the same pedals; the added advantage is how easy these are to keep clean, whereas the OEM pedals would take serious elbow grease to shift dirt and grime... makes for a much tidier cabin

Factory: 16:9 DVD Nav and Digital DAB TV : Heated Seats : Center Armrest : 6 CD Changer : HK Audio : Climate Windshield
Aftermarket: OEM CSL Front Bumper: OEM CSL Bootlid: OEM CSL Diffuser: OEM CSL Wheels: SS LTW Race Exhaust : SS X-Pipe w/Resonator : SS 100Cell Race Cats: Tein SS Coilovers w/ EDFC : RE Rear Shock Mounts : Poweflex RTAB + Front Wishbone Bushes : Eibach Pro-Spacers 10mm : GruppeM Carbon/Kevlar Intake: Goodridge SS Brake Lines : Pagid Blue RS4-2 Brake Pads : CCFL Gen 2 6000k Enhanced Angel Eyes : Philips 6000k D2S Xenons : SilverVision Indicators : Xenon Interior Blubs : M-Tech Aluminum Pedals: Chrome [SMG Match] e-Brake: 6-Disc DVD/MP3 Changer w/ TV-On-Go

Jump to top CarbonSMGII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-24-2006, 09:33:31 PM   #9
TroyM3
Look at Me!

United States

Excellent DIY writeup
Jump to top TroyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-26-2006, 04:28:16 AM   #10
Stovelegs09
Kiss my a$$ cancer...

Scotland

Very nice write-up. I have the same pedals, got them off of ebay as well, and have had them for about five years or so. But now the silver finish on the clutch pedal is wearing off, and the dull metal is showing. Just wondering if anyone knows if you can buy just one as a replacement? The others are fine. Thanks.

Laters.
Jump to top Stovelegs09 is offline   Reply With Quote