BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Sun, Dec-24-2017, 08:51:11 PM   #1
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Default SQ13ís 1999 E36 M3 Resuscitation Project

Some background...
Since January, I had been looking for the right E36 M3 for myself to use as a daily, with possibly some track use. I was looking for either something stock or one with minor, track-oriented mods such as coilovers. The flooding of my E46 led to me take my search more seriously, as I thought it would take a while to strip and dry the interior, tow to preferred shop, and get it back from the shop. On September 28, 2017, I pulled the trigger on a 1999 Cosmos Black M3 coupe with black leather interior with 97,500 miles on it. The car had always been in Houston, so no worries of rusting. It had a clean title but had several cosmetic and mechanical issues, which I thought would turn the car into a fun project. Overall, I would say it was in 7-8/10 condition. Zero mods.

My E46 ended up being ready the next day, and I was finally able to park my own E36 M3 next to my E46. My plan was to keep the E36 mainly stock, and turn the E46 into a dedicated track car.

As expected, the E46 is loud and harsh. It feels like a race car, and the E36 is the quiet, comfortable car. This makes each car feel special in its own way.

Fourteen days and 1,000 miles after purchasing the E36, a retard backed into it in a parking garage. I was behind her, and she wanted a parking spot to our left. The dumbass put her car into reverse and backed up so fast, I only had time to honk my horn. She ignored the horn, hit my front left corner, then drove up two floors, I guess to try and run from me. Why? Then she blamed the incident on me. KYS

Moral of the story: you are surrounded by retards. Get a dash cam. I will not drive any car again without one.

Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Dec-24-2017, 09:02:00 PM   #2
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: SQ13ís 1999 E36 M3 Resuscitation

So now we’re here. Insurance totaled the car, and I bought it back. I’m hoping I’ll be able to fix it myself. The biggest issue is correcting the FUBARed fender apron. Sourcing good, used parts may become another issue, but that’s easily addressed by buying new parts. Given how busy I am with other shit, I won’t be able to get it up and running until sometime during summer. The car will get other mechanical and cosmetic issues fixed, including fluid leaks, shifter rebuild, replace clutch pedal, redo headliner, PDR, and touch up several scratches. Mods will include Depo headlights with HID retrofit, clear exterior lighting, LTW wing, some kind of functional splitter, RE RSMs, SSK, maybe suspension. I want to keep the car nearly stock mechanically.

Today’s work (24DEC17)

Old Fri, Jan-05-2018, 10:57:23 PM   #3
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

04JAN18
Purchased some parts yesterday and today. I pulled a fender from Wrench a Part. It’s not the updated fender I need, but I didn’t want to leave empty handed yesterday. That fender was the only piece I could use off the six E36s the place had. I’m going to use the fender to help me bend the fender apron back into place. If the fender doesn’t get damaged in the process, I can sell it or use it temporarily until I find the correct fender. If I need to use it temporarily, I will simply rattle can it, instead of getting it properly painted.

Right after pulling the fender, I went to another M3F member’s place to pick up a part for my E46. He gave me his old x-brace, though I still planned on buying an updated x-brace the next day. We believe it may be bent. I will test fit after replacing motor mounts, and bent back if necessary, then give it away.

05JAN18
I went to a different parts yard to purchase a pre-pulled nose panel and x-brace from a 1999 M3. The nose panel is painted black and in good condition, so luckily that’s one part I don’t have to paint. The seller said he had already sold the fenders, but when I got there, one of his employees pulled it out when I asked him about it (seller I was talking to was not present). They wanted $80 for the part, which had a dent on it and paint damage at the back portion from fire damage, so I passed on it.

I then bought a hood that a different seller was willing to deliver to my place. It is painted white, so if I somehow find one that’s already painted Cosmos Black by the time I’m ready to put the car back together in May/June, I will install that instead to avoid dealing with painting.

I’m somewhat of a clean freak, so I had to give everything a thorough wipe down. I wouldn’t be able to let them sit in their filthy condition in my apartment.

Picture of the 1999 M3 that the seller posted on Craigslist. I almost drooled on that fender because it was almost perfect and painted black, but $80 for a fender with a dent and paint damage wasn’t worth it to me.

Replacement A pillar covers should be arriving today. I have also ordered exterior lighting pieces.
Old Sat, Jan-06-2018, 12:54:15 AM   #4
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Sucks what happened. Makes me want to get a dashcam for my E46. Sweet E36 though, E36s will always hold a special place in my heart.
Old Sat, Jan-06-2018, 05:53:53 AM   #5
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

05JAN18
A pillar covers arrived. Thanks to mpwrcpe. I accidentally had them sent to my house instead of the apartment in a different city, so I’m not able to inspect them myself.

Installing these A pillar covers, having FibreNew redo my driver seat, having upholstery shop put new cloth on headliner, correcting unglued leather near door panel pockets, and replacing the glovebox and cup holders will make the interior 9/10. I’m not sure how I will fix the torn carpet, maybe just try to sew it back together the best I can.

The other seats are in great condition, so I will only give them a good cleaning with Gliptone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakjoe View Post
Sucks what happened. Makes me want to get a dashcam for my E46. Sweet E36 though, E36s will always hold a special place in my heart.
Do it. Gives peace of mind. I did notice that someone hit my front bumper and caused paint damage that’s not very noticeable unless you’re close to it. I assume it happened in a parking lot. Unfortunately I noticed way after the fact, so my dash cam had overwritten whichever video file captured the incident.

The worst part is not being able to drive the car for several months. I really want to put it back together, but I don’t have time. Hopefully I’ll have all the parts I need and painted by May. I’ll be be able to correct the fender apron and put new part on after mid-May.

Last edited by SQ13; Sat, Jan-06-2018 at 06:04:29 AM.
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 04:50:17 PM   #6
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Iíve been collecting parts for the last few months, and now itís time to start putting the car back together.

I ordered this wing off eBay. It arrived damaged, and the fitment was poor. The seller ended up giving me a fair partial refund. Will mount to a second trunk.

13 March 2018
I decided to test fit the pre-LCI fender. The top bolted up fine, but the gap between the fender and door was inconsistent.

15 March 2018
I removed the front tint. The car looks so much better without it. I will be removing the tint off the vent and rear windows soon. Iím worried about damaging the rear window heater.

New lighting arrived on 29 March 2018. The HID headlights arrived damaged, so those needed to be sent back for repair. The OE clear corners, side markers, tail lights were fine. Corners and side markers are new.

Good

Bad

Third track event since flood, on 14 April. Car did fine until near the end of my last session. Red battery light would randomly illuminate/flash for a couple of seconds at random times. It started happening right after I drive through a bunch of tire smoke, but I donít think itís related.

29 April 2018
Found a perfect fender at a different parts yard in Austin.

22 May 2018
Putting the car back together. I bent back this part of the fender apron, but it looks like a hack job to me. I donít know if Iím supposed to make it look better somehow. What I did was already a difficult job.

The bolt holes on the fender and apron would not line up here, indicating that the apron was still pushed in. After taking some measurements, I found that it was pushed in about 0.5Ē. Pulled the apron a little, and now the hole lines up with the fenderís hole.

Spacing between the fender and door is more even and consistent with the right side.

I have a new radiator support, but it looks like I should be able to reuse the original one.

New bumper shock

Test fitting the nose panel

Test fitting the bumper. The plastic bumper support bracket was fine, but I replaced it anyways.

From the side, you can see that the bumper sits forward a few millimeters more than it should. I am not sure how to fix this, as the bumper shock it pushed in all the way. Iíll have to investigate further before final reassembly.

I will pick up a left side headlight to use while the HID lights are being repaired.

Up next is general maintenance, PDR, and paint.
Old Mon, Jun-04-2018, 01:34:44 AM   #7
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: SQ13ís 1999 E36 M3 Resuscitation Project

Progress has been slow because it’s just way too hot. Even with multiple fans blasting, it sucks.

27 May 2018
Replaced the clutch pedal and used Garagistic bronze bushings. The old pedal’s holes were all still perfectly round, so the OE bushing was probably the culprit. The pedal still leans to the left a little, but I can actually use the clutch stop now, making the car much easier to drive. I attempted to replace the brake bushings as well, but they would not slide on with the Garagistic delrin bushings; at least there’s minimal play with the OE bushings.

Before

After

Out with the old

New

The install was surprisingly simple, unlike my E46’s bushing replacement. Installation with the driver seat makes it pretty uncomfortable.

30 May 2018
Replaced the door handle trim with new OE pieces. The spacing between the trim and door handle itself is uneven now. Pretty disappointing..will contact ECS and see if a replacement might help.

Bad picture (did not want to move the car out of the garage), but I installed the OE Euro tail lights. Looks better than amber, IMO.

02 June 2018
Replaced cabin filter and removed headliner. I installed the glovebox and AC vents as one piece, but the sag is still there. May decide to replace all the components.

I was surprised to see the OE alarm piece and wiring here. None of the DIYs I read/watched showed or mentioned its presence.

Old vs new

Mann filter fits pretty well, and it came with an instruction manual that was easy to follow! Surprising, given that their E46 M3 cabin and oil filters fit poorly.

Garage is still a mess because of the flooding

03 June 2018
Put the car up on jack stands for the first time ever. The car has a power steering leak, transmission leak, and a motor oil leak from two sources. The power steering leak seems to be coming from the reservoir to line connections, so I tightened those. Trans leak looks to be coming from the fluid fill hole, so I will torque that and monitor for leaks. Looks like the motor leak is coming from the oil pan gasket and oil filter cap gasket. The filter gasket will be replaced when I change the oil sometime this week. I plan on addressing the oil pump nut soon, so I’m not too pissed about the oil pan gasket leak. I wiped down the motor, trans, and power steering lines as best as I could to make monitoring easier.

I was initially hoping to do the shifter rebuild without removing the driveshaft, but that’s just not possible. The DS giubo is cracked, so I’ll have to order one, as well as a CSB. It’ll all work out though. The muffler mounts are ****ed. I’m surprised the muffler hasn’t fallen yet.

This week, I’ll do the following: finish redoing the headliner, oil change, x-brace install, RE trans mounts and RSMs, replace the muffler mounts, and remove front seats to give them and the carpets a good cleaning.

Will also order motor mounts, giubo, CSB, wiper blades, vent window seals ($160 for strips of rubber!!), and anything else I need after reinspection.

Last edited by SQ13; Mon, Jun-04-2018 at 08:35:13 AM.
Old Wed, Jun-13-2018, 02:00:50 AM   #8
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

04–10 June 2018

RE trans mounts

X-brace installed

Muffler hangers replaced. Surprised the muffler didn’t just fall down while driving.

Much better

eBay fender liners installed. They fit surprisingly well. Brake duct mount isn’t right though.

Going in to install RE RSMs and was surprised to see reinforcement plates welded in. There was a previous failure on both sides, but the job was half assed. Both cracked towers should have been replaced, but I can still see the cracks from the wheel well. I didn’t think much of the wheel well mess before purchase, only that it looked weird...now I know why it didn’t look right. RSMs looked fine, so I did not replace them. Will install the RE RSMs when I install new Sachs shocks. Might also have new towers welded in.

Headliner, sunroof liner, and sunroof motor cover recovered. Motor cover came out fine, but the other two are kinda bad. There are very noticeable creases in some areas, and I managed to glue the fabric to the two ridges even though I did not apply adhesive to the ridges and tried to stretch the fabric. I’ll probably remove and have a shop recover them at some point.

These creases really bother me.

Aligned the sunroof panel to make it more flush with the roof and lubricated the moving parts. It moves more freely now and doesn’t bind to the wind deflector anymore.

Oil change

Last edited by SQ13; Sat, Feb-23-2019 at 07:08:02 AM.
Old Mon, Jun-18-2018, 09:48:44 PM   #9
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Arrival of $200 worth of OE plastic, rubber, and amber bulbs. From BMW of Morristown. They have great pricing and service.

Wiper blade inserts are the wrong type (updated part?), so Iíll need to get a wiper blade set.

Replacing vent window seals and removing tint

The B pillar covers were turning white, so I cleaned them up. Not perfect, but much better now.
Old Tue, Jul-17-2018, 03:37:11 AM   #10
DrftKingIII
VSCERL

United States

Fellow Houstonite, hello! I feel you on it being too damn hot to work on anything. I've seriously considered one of those $500 portable air conditioning units to help me speed up the progress on my car, it's just so miserable in the garage whenever I do have free time.

Also, definitely feel you on being surrounded by idiots. Drivers here seem to have zero awareness for anyone but themselves.

Hope to bump into you at MSR or the likes sooner than later!

Jump to top DrftKingIII is offline   Reply With Quote