BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Sun, May-24-2015, 10:41:03 PM   #1
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Default Thundermoose Track Car Journal

A little late in the making but wanted to share some stuff about my car.

Bought this car in Jan 2012 from a guy in Chicago. I think he bought it from a track guy but never tracked the car himself.

The car was an 2003 Steel Grey SMG with 23,000 miles. It had a Fall Line half cage. It also had Cobra Imola Pro seats with Schroth 6 point harnesses. Brembo BBK in the front with KW V3 suspension all the way around.

Forum member Disapr bought his car shortly after mine but basically defined the path that my car would take. I am not nearly as meticulous as him, but was able to get a lot done over the last 3 years.

One of my first jobs was to strip out the rest of the interior and also install a CF roof. A big leap of faith there for me as you have to drill out 80+ spot welds. I punched through twice so all in all very good.

Sometime right around there, I had the subframe re-inforced and installed a Zionsville Competition Cooler w/ BW Oil Cooler. I also had all of the mounts upgraded to solid.

I was still having some elevated temps at the track, so I went ahead and deleted the AC. That helped a bunch and I have never had any temp issues even in Texas summers.

Not shown in my journal was the installation of a BW 3.5" race exhaust.

In late 2013, I started doing NASA Time Trials. Due to my modifications, I classed out in TT3. My car was not very competitive. Neither was I, but that's another matter. In 2014 I installed an Evolve Intake with Euro headers to get a bit more power. I used the Evolve Alpha N tune. I had a lot of misfire issues from 3k to 4k, so I took everything back to stock.

I did the Beisan refresh of the Vanos which I believe was the root issue. I then re-installed the Evolve intake and went with CPI stepped headers. I opted to go with Epic for my tune. I haven't had an issue since.

As mentioned at the beginning, the car came with KW V3 suspension. One thing I didn't like with that suspension was the inability to change spring rates. I wanted a bit stiffer set up. I tried Hotchkis sway bars at first thinking that might help. Eventually, one of the front dampers bit it, so I took that opportunity to install MCS 2 way non remote with 550F/650R springs. I have Rogue RSM's. I have been very pleased with the set-up.

One of the issues that always plagued me at the track was the occasional missed shift from 3rd to 4th at WOT. I tried everything - software upgrades, resistor mod, spring replacement, tranny fluids - but nothing seemed to work. I decided to go ahead a install a 5MT. I went with BW solid shifter. No pictures of the install. I love the 5 speed. Makes driving a ton more fun and it also shaved a few pounds.

Deciding that there wasn't a whole lot of HP to gain, I decided to go after more weight. In the past months, I have done the following:
  • Replaced stock battery with 6 lb Braille
  • Thinned out the wire harness
  • Removed sound deadening. Rattle canned the inside with SG spray.
  • Removed door windows and door cards. I made some travel windows.
  • Replace rear windows with 5 star bodies polycarbonate
  • Replaced headlights with BW blanks

I expect the car to be very close to 2700 pounds with quarter tank of gas.

I still have some WT/HP allowance in TT3, so will probably install Aero later this year or early next year.

Jan 2012 - Car at First Track Event

April 2012 - Gutting Car and CF roof install

May 2012 - AC Delete to help with Cooling

March 2014 - Evolve Intake

Jan 2015 - May 2015 - Extreme Lightening

Wire Thinning

Lexan Quarter Windows

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-26-2015, 12:31:00 PM   #2
M clunk

Canada

Default Re: Thundermoose Track Car Journal

Very nice build. It's fun to see a race car build in this section.
The wiring thinning job looks very tricky to do
Old Tue, May-26-2015, 12:35:57 PM   #3
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Nice build.
But what I see daily are typical German car colors; blacks, silvers, grays and whites. They look nice, I agree, but to me the appeal is what the M cars were in the 1980s an event. Its not so much that I want to be noticed, but more that I want to stand apart from the crowd. And to me, Phoenix Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue are two of the best ways to differentiate your M3 experience from the norm.
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-26-2015, 12:43:27 PM   #4
PhoenixClave
Play Drums, Drive Ugly Colored Cars.

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M clunk View Post
Very nice build. It's fun to see a race car build in this section.
The wiring thinning job looks very tricky to do
This. Care to elaborate a little on the process?
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T View Post
Rules of life:

-As long as your are trying, chasing, longing, pawing, everything runs away.

-When you start minding your own business, doing what fulfills you and you enjoy the most, things may start coming to you... as long as you don't have expectations of them, think you are entitled to them.

A butterfly lands on your hand
Close it, you crush it
Leave it open, it may stay or fly away
But you have been blessed for the moments
Be grateful
Jump to top PhoenixClave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-26-2015, 08:36:39 PM   #5
big_greasy_taco

United States

Nice!
Old Tue, May-26-2015, 11:59:35 PM   #6
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixClave View Post
This. Care to elaborate a little on the process?
The wire thinning is not for the faint of heart.

Basically, I had removed air bags, the radio, climate control, AC, and headlights. So there was a lot of wire that went no where.

Once you get the dash off, you get access to a lot of this wire. I also had to pull out the DME to get access to the firewall to pull the lights wire through.

After that, you start unspooling tape or felt to get access to all of the individual wires. Once the wires become unwrapped, it's a real bear to put it back the way it was.

For the everything that I knew that I would never use again, I cut one end off and then pulled the wires back to a connector to one of the modules (LZM, cluster, fuse panel, ECU, etc). I use a myriad of terminal tools to remove the wires from the connector.

Once I removed all of the wires, I used some Painless Performance braiding to bundle it back up.

At one point I had a giant rat's nest that would not allow me to bundle the wires. If I was I to do it again (which I am not sure I would), I would've been much more careful about keeping the wire bundles and routing together while removing wires. You just need it loose enough to be able to follow wires.

Instead, I had to disconnect a bunch of wires going to the general module behind the fuse panel. This allowed me to untangle the knots and reroute the wires the way I wanted.

Another extremely helpful tool was the website below, which provides wiring details for every electric component. I also used my multimeter a couple of times to check continuity on a couple of wires to the trunk area.

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r.../e46/index.htm

Eventually, the moment of truth arrived and I attempted my first re-start of car. The car cranked once and everything went black. Luckily, one of the ground connections had come out of a butt splice. Hooked it back and voila car started fine.

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

Old Fri, May-29-2015, 02:49:30 AM   #7
Feuerbach86

United States

Awesome! already see two or three things I need to copy :-)
Old Sat, Oct-31-2015, 11:53:27 PM   #8
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

A few updates

I started tracking with SMG, but swapped this year to a 5 speed. So to a certain extent, I got fast without worrying too much about shifting. In Time Trials, I started having problems with 2 to 3 shift with BW shifter. Not a shifter issue per se, but I was looking for something to make it easier. Brysen (Feuerbach86) and Disapr bot had CAE shifter which auto-centers on 3-4 and makes it super easy to go 2-3 and 5-4. Here's a pic of it installed. I love it. Still gotta be careful with 4-5!

After doing WRL event in friend's Miata with Traqmate with integrated shift lights, I decided to install lights on mine. I have it set so first green light comes on at 4k. Helps me keep car in power band through turns and/or determine whether or not I may want to downshift. It has a lot of configuration options.

I never really had mirror issues with stock mirrors, but wanted to expand my line of sight regardless.

Wink Mirror

After BMWCCA HPDE event, I noticed the car seemed louder. Add to that a tinging noise, when I got it on trailer, I decided to inspect. I found the weld to resonator broke.

Broken Exhaust

I had a local shop weld in straight piece to get me by. BW swapped to magna flow and you can't just buy a center section.

Repaired Exhaust

I decided to use the opportunity to swap to diffuser exit and replaced my hacked up rear diffuser with the BW piece.

Per NASA TT rules, the diffuser is counted as aero and incurs a 0.4 weight to hp penalty. I hadn't planned to go to aero until next season, but since I was already committed, I ordered the AJ Hartman Splitter and the BW rear wing. The wing has not yet shipped, but the splitter arrived this past week.

Prep for Splitter

Front View and rear view of splitter

Installing the splitter messes up the stock brake ducting, so I decided to fully block off the right and left foglight/duct openings. I have a 6" duct to port air into my Evolve box.

Last edited by ThunderMoose; Sun, Nov-01-2015 at 12:13:38 AM.
Old Sun, Nov-01-2015, 01:34:43 AM   #9
Kong Sheng Han
Banned

In the garage:

North Korea

Oh my. I want to see the aero in person. Any plans for a CSL trunk to lighten up even more?

The battery still makes me
Jump to top Kong Sheng Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-01-2015, 12:32:49 PM   #10
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
Oh my. I want to see the aero in person. Any plans for a CSL trunk to lighten up even more?

The battery still makes me
I am going to stay with OEM trunk. Depending on what size tires I run I may have to actually add weight back to comply with NASA TT3 rules.