BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Fri, Oct-10-2014, 06:48:59 AM   #1
Braymond141

United States

Default Bray's 96 M3 Journal

I guess it is time for me to start documenting everything that has and will be happening with my M3. I've owned this car for over 9 years now and have driven it over 150k miles (currently has 26xk miles, purchased at 112k) during that time. I've been through numerous amounts of parts during those miles and have accumulated a receipts binder that would rival the page count of an Encyclopedia. Here's to a car I'll never sell

Please note; There are certain aspects of the car that are still works in progress, or were horrible lessons learned. My goal for 2013 was to get the suspension completed, which turned into more. 2015 I'll focus on the interior completion and the third engine to be installed. Sometime in there or after I'll hopefully get to address the sorry state the exterior paint condition is in. Some may recall I did a full color change to LSB. Unfortunately due to the painter's incompetence, this was a horrible failure. I'm gearing up slowly to have all the RIGHT tools to respray the car myself next go around.

Anyway, onto my last year of work. I purposely do not work fast. Dirt, greasy hand prints and cosmoline are not allowed here...

Started off by getting a 6-speed box. Free thanks to a cousin who wrecked his E46 M3.

E46 M3 F1 Racing Stage 3 Clutch and 16lb Steel Flywheel. My car is supercharged with 11+psi. My last F1 clutch setup was great, so I went with another. All brand new OEM parts were purchased as well (clutch fork, guide tube, throwout bearing, selector shaft seal, pivot pin, etc etc)

E46 330 "Yellow Tag" Steering Rack

RMS long tube headers to let that head flow more. These pair very well with supercharged motors.

Accumulating parts before tear down.
-Rear subframe boxed in. Tabs were not modified (other than boxing the ends in) because I plan to run Hotchkis Sway Bars. The rear bar incorporates a very nice reinforcement system that I'll rely on.
-AKG Poly Subframe Mounts
-AKG Motor and Trans Mounts
-AKG Diff Mounts
-RTAB Limiters
-F/R OEM Wheel Bearings
-OEM Rear Ball Joints and Bushings
-Rear Axle Rebuild Kits
-JRZ RS1 Shocks and Struts
-TCK Springs
-Ground Control Camber Plates and Rear Shock Mounts
-ALL NEW Mounting bolts from BMW. $300 wholesale cost! Ouch...

Getting that 5-speed out of there and starting to install the new flywheel. RMS headers crudely installed.

6-speed installed, underside starting to see the first of MANY of hours detailing. Headers still showing that they need some nice v-bands to fix the horrible ball flange setup.

Rear end completely removed.

Good thing too. At 260k miles it just started to show signs of RTAB pocket failure.

Unfortunately I found something else odd. The rear seat pan had a crack in it. This was later seam welded.

Off to powerdercoating. No stupid Skittles colors here, just OEM refreshed.

Been seeing this for a long time now.

Parts starting to come back recoated.

More new parts too.
-SPC Adjustable Rear Control Arms (these later were ditched)
-Lemforder Front Control Arm Ball Joints
-OEM LTW Tray

Assembling because I can't wait

Swapping in the 6-speed requires the use of a shorter shaft. 95 (5-speed manual only) and 96 M3s in the US already use the same 6-bolt CV rear driveshaft half that the Euro 6-speed cars do. All I had to do was source a front half from the UK. This was sandblasted a refurbished, but I have since ordered a complete NEW driveshaft from Germany as the local shops around here cannot balance my pieced together shaft.

Random new stuff. Brand new L/R coupe door seals. These are so expensive now.

Starting to get the front JRZ mounted. King pins detailed, control arm with all new ball joints and bushings.

New shields and wheel bearings installed.

RTAB pocket prepping. Gas tank removed for proper installation and welding!

After grinding to ensure a smooth flat finish. SEM color matched E-Coat applied.

3M Seam Sealer. I used the "brushable" kind from a container. Was not easy to work with.

For whatever reason, not all E36 M3s have body color in the wheel arches. You'll notice the greenish/yellow paint in other photos on my car. Some cars did have a good amount of color in these spots, just not all unfortunately.

Applying some 3M rubberized matte black coating. Not terribly happy with this so I've decided to hold off on applying it to the front arches for now. Hard to see, but the seam sealer applied earlier was sprayed over with the E-Coat paint for an OE like finish and color. No #grabthenearestrattlecanpaint here.

Subframe in. SPC arms yet to go. E-Coat more visible. All tank lines have been detailed from front to back and of course were protected from any painting. I hate overspray.

Sand blasted the rear hubs and painted key areas to help against the raw steel rusting.

Random buy. New BMW Motorsports Belts

A package from Turner arrived. Also got around to hanging the rear shocks. Good color match now!

Rear tank 50/50 during refurbish. Forever Black is an amazing product, highly recommend it for textured plastics. Looks like new!

Recoated tank straps, plus new foam.

Onto the axles... which were a slight pain. Powdercoaters were idiots and didn't listen to the instructions they were given about not touching the ends. They protected the splines, but for whatever dumb reason coated the very ends. This prevents you from installing the CVs back on. There were also splashes of cured powder on the splines themselves. I spent hours hand removing this.

Completed with CV-2 used. Output shafts were sand blasted at the splines and the original black paint was detailed to be perfectly clean again. Because I removed the outter CVs, the inner grease shields were destroyed in the process. Bimmerworld makes trick replacements, but they are $200 a pair. I'm hoping with the extra grease I added, the deletion of the shields will be ok. Time will tell or I will buy the BW parts.

Stupid $250 mistake in the process. That powdercoater will never coat my parts again. UGLY.

Random task. Cleaning under the carpet. Everything was detailed, not sure where the completed pic went...

Rear suspension coming together. ABS sensor detailed, everything pressed in and ready to go.

Random purchases in between.
-New Recaro Pole Position in leather/alcantara (already ran PP before, but in velour).
-RallyRoad.net OEM replica front strut bar. Eric is a great resource, can't thank him enough. You'll see me using a lot of his little parts in this build.

3.38 Limited slip rebuild with bimmerdiffs.com 40% lockup upgrade. Missing pictures here, but the install was easy and I of course detailed everything.

Completed. Sand blasted rear cover, new bolts (wish stainless bolts were available but none in stock locally), cleaned casing, painted output flanges, 4-bolt garbage yet to be removed.

There we go, a nice color for LSB done right this time. Added the rear 996 BBK to the lot.

Fully rebuilt

Random buy. Ledermanz (ebay user ID) Genuine Alcantara wrapped E46 M3 steering wheel. I hate E36 wheels and have run E46 wheels for 7 years now. Flawless re-wrap.

Starting to look like a functional car again. 6-bolt input shaft refurbed and installed too.

Random purchase;
-RMS 6" 8-rib modular crank pulley.

Back to the front end.
-Apex 75mm Studs
-Rebuilt 996 calipers with RallyRoad.net brackets/SS brake lines and new OE porsche bleed screws.
-Centric slotted 325mm E46 M3 front rotors.
-Hawk HPS Pads F/R

More of RallyRoad.net parts. 2-piece rear SS brake lines installed. Rear mostly completed but have yet to do pre-loaded torque on any of the bolts.

Rear diff getting first fill with some good stuff. Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Represented to have the flow of a 90 weight, but protect like a 140. Original fill in 96 was 75w90 but was later changed to 140. This was my compromise. Milwaukee M18 Fuel Brushless 3/8 impact in the scene. BEST impact PERIOD.

Shockproof is green goblin blood...

Working on a better way to run the aftercooler pump and GT500 heat exchanger. AN-12 quick connects, Oetiker clamps, fresh coolant hoses, and my own custom aluminum heat exchanger mounts.

I purchased a huge supercharger kit lot just for this. Vortech V1 T-Trim with straight cut gears. A little gear whine is a good thing!

Radium Engineering Catch Can. Absolutely beautiful piece. Still sorting all the black AN fittings and Black cloth coated hose that will be used. Not sure where to place this yet either.

Reinstalling the Motion Motorsport panel and getting rid of the useless carriage bolts. Chamfered the mounting holes and picked up some stainless counter sunk allen bolts. This will allow me to work on another project... mounting the LTW tray to the panel

Modified the Recaro sliders so the seats move forward more allowing easier access to the rear. Gained 5+ inches of forward travel from my modification.

Recaro installed

Recaro, Ledermanz wheel, Rallyroad.net shift boot, handbrake boot, handbrake handle, and a new F10 M5 6-speed knob! HK speaker grills needing to be replaced with parts sitting on the shelf.

Cleaned the rear seats, redyed the rear deck (plus deleted a bunch of insulation and cleaned up all the wiring). New rear seat belt lower receptacles. Need to order those rear Motorsports belts

Heat exhanger lines finalized, quick connects in place, Motion Motorsport panel installed.

Still some things to clean up. Radiator support repaint, and misc bracket bases that were cut off the body need to be removed. So much better and easier to work with now though. Bumper removal, with panel attached takes less than 10 minutes. I can live with this.

Motor coming together. Freshly powdercoated charger brackets, V1 installed with all new feed and drain lines. New clamps evenly positioned, Nick G Stage 2+ tune installed. 500hp crank?

More to come...

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts

Last edited by Braymond141; Wed, Jan-14-2015 at 06:51:25 PM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Oct-10-2014, 07:23:34 AM   #2
eson

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Bray's 96 M3 Journal

Amazing. Can't wait to keep track of this build. Sub'd!
Old Fri, Oct-10-2014, 11:45:26 AM   #3
LTBU7
Unregistered User

In the garage:

United States

Mighty fine work, I wouldnt wanna sell either.
Any videos of her in action?
Jump to top LTBU7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-10-2014, 12:12:07 PM   #4
Chris93Si

United States

Amazing build! Look forward to more, how about some exterior shots on the ground?
Jump to top Chris93Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-10-2014, 02:21:23 PM   #5
M3n00b
2012 M3F Formula 1 Game Champion!

In the garage:

North Korea

Thanks for (finally) sharing. Car is amazing.

How much do those door seals go for?

Does the airbag function on your e46s wheel?
Old Fri, Oct-10-2014, 02:31:52 PM   #6
OneFastSicilian
Frankie

In the garage:

Italy

love the build... buy WHy nO skittles?!
  • 02 - TiAg/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - IB/Blk ZCP - Sold
  • 02 - LSB/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - SG/Blk - Current!
Check out my Journal!

*Instagram*
@E46_M3_Owners_Of_The_World
Jump to top OneFastSicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-10-2014, 02:34:37 PM   #7
bjz

In the garage:

Spain

Woooow...
Jump to top bjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-10-2014, 05:45:30 PM   #8
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris93Si View Post
Amazing build! Look forward to more, how about some exterior shots on the ground?
The car isn't complete, so no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3n00b View Post
Thanks for (finally) sharing. Car is amazing.

How much do those door seals go for?

Does the airbag function on your e46s wheel?
I believe they were $600 for the pair. Sedans are like $60 a door for comparison. Had to do it though, the originals were bad.

E46 wheel bag and buttons do not function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFastSicilian View Post
love the build... buy WHy nO skittles?!
Doesn't look good in my opinion.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-10-2014, 06:20:23 PM   #9
Ramp1

In the garage:

Canada

Awesome build! Very clean work.
Old Fri, Oct-10-2014, 09:42:16 PM   #10
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Awesome build. Looking forward to updates.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote