BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Aug-25-2014, 03:43:37 AM   #1
ftc3

In the garage:

United States

Default Freddie's 2004 Silver M3 thread

Hello M3 Community!

I've been a fan of M3's for quite a while and I'm on my third one. The first two I owned, took a great deal of time searching to get just the right options and color combination.

I got my first M3 in 2002 but it was a few years old. It was a 1998 Estoril Blue with Dove Grey interior. The car was in imaculate shape.

After the E92 came out and the E46's dropped in price, then I got a 2002 AW, 6-sp, slick top, cloth interior. I knew the owner who took great care of it. It was bought in the UK through military sales when he was stationed in Europe. I sold it a while back after we had our first child. It didn't get used because of the two-door and just sat in the garage. After a while of paying insurance for a car to sit around, I sold it. Funny thing, I sold it for less in 2010 than I could get for it today! I believe it sold for 19k.

A friend had purchased my current 2004 M3 new and was upgrading to a M235i and asked if I was interested. It was in great shape, always maintainted but was in need of a lot of wearable suspension service, and little odds and ends. He had just fully gutted the cooling system and replaced everything with all new BMW parts. Check one thing off the list! I got it for a good price so I'm back in the M3 game. Not near as a desireable combination as my other two but I like silver cars and silver is usually my first choice for color.

I'm not that great at throughly documenting processes. I tend to take sporadic pictures...I'll do my best but no promises.

2004 TiAg, Black Napa
SMG
Dinan Stage 3

UPDATED: 06-26-16

Last edited by ftc3; Mon, Jun-27-2016 at 03:41:44 AM.
Jump to top ftc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Aug-25-2014, 03:54:36 AM   #2
ftc3

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Freddie's 2004 TiAg E46 M3 thread

Here are a few shots of my 1998 Estoril Blue. Funny thing, before I bought my most recent E46, I was actually looking for another E36 but never ran across one that I liked for the right price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9190062.JPG (681.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg P9190066.JPG (678.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg P9190077.JPG (665.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg P9200063.JPG (674.3 KB, 126 views)
Old Mon, Aug-25-2014, 04:04:21 AM   #3
ftc3

In the garage:

United States

The 2002 AW, slick top car. I hind sight, I wish I had held onto it. Those seats were more summer friendly than my black napa for Las Vegas. I think I sold it for 19K!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M3_002.jpg (100.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg M3_005.jpg (89.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg M3_009.jpg (91.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg M3_011.jpg (120.3 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by ftc3; Mon, Aug-25-2014 at 04:11:00 AM.
Old Sat, Sep-06-2014, 05:49:33 AM   #4
ftc3

In the garage:

United States

I've been busy with lots of projects. I'll be uploading pictures in the near future for the following.

EXTERIOR
- front and rear euro brake rotors
- front and rear brake pads w/ wear sensors
- front and rear swaybar links
- front and rear swaybar bushings
- front and rear Koni struts (w/ associated bump stops, dust covers, etc)
- rear upper and lower ball joints
- rear subframe bushings
- rear front diff bushing
- steering end links
- RTAB's
- FCAB's
- front control arms
- steering guibo
- driveshaft guibo
- change trans fluid
- change diff fluid
- lots of new bolts and nuts
- thoroughly cleaned undercarriage and wheel wells

INTERIOR
- A pillars
- C pillars
- floor mats
- mp3 jack
- euro console and storage

Still to complete but have the parts on my garage shelf.
- plugs
- coils
- valve cover gaskets
- structural foam

Here are some teaser shots of the pile of parts. Ignore the Sach struts. I ended up returning them and getting Koni yellow instead.

Last edited by ftc3; Sat, Sep-27-2014 at 09:19:40 PM.
Old Sat, Sep-13-2014, 05:23:16 AM   #5
ftc3

In the garage:

United States

I'm finally getting to posting some updates of the work I've done over the past couple of months.

I won't be posting any DIY's as the one's I used on this site were awesome. Many thanks to all the members who have taken the time over the years to document their projects!!

Here are some shots of the subframe prior to being hosed off.

Last edited by ftc3; Sat, Sep-13-2014 at 05:49:42 AM.
Old Sat, Sep-13-2014, 05:32:31 AM   #6
ftc3

In the garage:

United States

With the subframe out of the car, I was able to check out the mounting locations for cracks. Crack free!

Last edited by ftc3; Sat, Sep-13-2014 at 05:45:43 AM.
Old Sat, Sep-13-2014, 03:55:50 PM   #7
ftc3

In the garage:

United States

With the subframe out and broken down, its now time to replace the bushings. They were in pretty good shape. Only one looked a little dry but since the car has 117k and I don't plan on dropping this again, I'm doing all four.

I also decided to replace the front differential bushing while I was at it. I have only seen one DIY for replacing it. I found this method for removing it worked best for me. Hope it helps someone. If you go this route, you need the subframe bushing out this side removed to make room for the "press".

This Koch tool KT20312 was invaluable. Saved many swear words during the course of the install and removal of the bushings. I would probably rent it out if anyone is interested.

Old Sat, Sep-13-2014, 04:22:01 PM   #8
ftc3

In the garage:

United States

I was surprised at how past due all the ball joints and bushings were for replacement. You can see in the image, the sleeve was falling out of the RTAB. Funny thing, the previous owner said it was chewing through tires. Should have been a clue that the rear was walking all over the place!

The Koch RTAB and ball joint tool in my opinion is mandatory. I've seen enough DIY's where folks struggled to get these out and in. The upper ball joints have clearance issues so homemade presses would cause issues which is why you would have to bend the dust shield to make them work. No reason to go this route when a handful of members have the tool and make it available for rent. This is what I did.

The install and removal is pretty uneventful and very much an afternoon DIY with the proper tool. These are some before and after shots of the ball joints and RTABs with the ECS limiters. You need to pay attention when installing the ball joints. You don't want to tear any of the rubber boots when installing.

Old Sat, Sep-13-2014, 04:34:33 PM   #9
ftc3

In the garage:

United States

The transmission mounts were due for changing. They were dry and near the end of their life. This was a straight forward DIY. You only need to brace the trans with a jack while you remove the mount.

Since I was under the trans, I changed the fluid at the same time. I sure wish BMW would have sold this stuff by the litre instead of the jug. I guess I will have fluid for next time...

Last edited by ftc3; Sat, Sep-13-2014 at 04:42:20 PM.
Old Sat, Sep-13-2014, 04:50:37 PM   #10
Jonzny

In the garage:

United States

Looks like this will be a great thread!

Catless Headers | 8.2k Redline | ST Coilovers | Powerflex RTABS & FCABS
Jump to top Jonzny is offline   Reply With Quote