BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Tue, Jan-07-2014, 12:42:33 PM   #1
TheGenius46M

In the garage:

United States

Talking TheGenius46M's TiAg E46 M3 Build

So I figured I’d finally start my journal after owning my car for a month now. I have been a BMW enthusiast for as long as I can remember, and have very high standards for cars, so finding the right E46 M3 in a manual wasn’t easy. I searched for months multiple times a day and was let down one after another by dishonest sellers and just thrashed cars. Finally about a month ago I was looking on BMWCCA and found an unmolested 03 TiAg 6mt on Dove with 58k miles for sale in Washington. I really wanted a blue car, but after talking to this seller for hours, I knew this one was too good to pass up.

Purchase:
I proceeded by setting up a PPI with a trusted BMW mechanic in the area and the car passed with flying colors, including the areas of concern. I booked my flight that night and headed to the airport at 5am the next morning to begin my journey. I was clearly overwhelmed with excitement at this point and slept one hour that night. Lol

When I arrived, the seller picked me up in the car and we went back to his warehouse where he and I had a long talk about BMWs and cars in general, including some of the cars he had in his personal collection, which included an E30 M3 with 17k ORIGINAL miles he owned since 1998, and a gated F430.

Here are some initial pics of the car, including some of his warehouse. I don’t have a real camera, so all my pics in this thread will be via my HTC One. Lol.

You can clearly see the indicators of a true enthusiast.

We signed the paperwork and setup shipping arrangements and I headed home.

Had to take some teaser pics of the car at this point to show off to everyone I knew who doubted me getting a car with how long I had waited to find the right one.

Delivery:
About a week later, I get a call from the shipping driver about regarding the ETA of my vehicle stating that he wouldn’t be at my residence by nightfall, but would be able to make it out sometime late morning. Overwhelmed with anticipation, I asked him his current location to discover he was only 1.5 hrs north of my location. He said I could pick it up off the truck that night if I wanted, so I quickly called my friend and we were off to pick it up an hour later.

Since the truck it was being transported on was so massive, we had to find a parking lot in the area large enough to unload it. Ended up settling on a Home Depot parking lot. Lol.
The truck was a massive enclosed double decker and the company I ended up using transports a lot of exotics in and out of SF Bay Area frequently. There was an F430 Spider, pristine E24 M6, a classic truck worth 100k according to the driver, and a formula car on the bottom deck beneath my car. Hell my car was the cheapest one on the truck! And by no means “cheap.” Lol.
The Truck

Had to find a parking lot to unload my car from the massive truck, and figured Home Depot wouldn’t mind. Lol

The car was finally in my possession and we were headed home!

Home sweet home. The M6 in the background is my dad’s.

One of the first few pics of the car after taking delivery at the gas station.

]

My Build Thread | My Build Journal | Instagram:@thegenius46m

Last edited by TheGenius46M; Tue, Jan-07-2014 at 12:57:17 PM.
Jump to top TheGenius46M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-07-2014, 12:57:15 PM   #2
PhoenixClave
Play Drums, Drive Ugly Colored Cars.

United States

Default Re: TheGenius46M's TiAg E46 M3 Build

Might just be me & my work computer, mate. But all of the pics are black

Edit: Guess it was just my computer! Looks great! Clean gray interior! That's a rarity in itself!
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T View Post
Rules of life:

-As long as your are trying, chasing, longing, pawing, everything runs away.

-When you start minding your own business, doing what fulfills you and you enjoy the most, things may start coming to you... as long as you don't have expectations of them, think you are entitled to them.

A butterfly lands on your hand
Close it, you crush it
Leave it open, it may stay or fly away
But you have been blessed for the moments
Be grateful
Jump to top PhoenixClave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-07-2014, 12:57:30 PM   #3
TheGenius46M

In the garage:

United States

^^Fixed.

]

Old Tue, Jan-07-2014, 01:03:39 PM   #4
TheGenius46M

In the garage:

United States

Let the Modding Begin!

Not even a few hours after arriving home and getting enough time behind the wheel to play with the car, I began my first essential mod being an OEM AUX input,

Followed with a DIY clutch stop to get rid of the excess dead space in the clutch travel. As well as Khoalty black kidneys and side grilles.

A few days later my fat ECS Tuning order had arrived which basically consisted of everything I needed to begin Inspection II. Figured I’d start things early rather than later.

Next went with the OEM Homelink and V1 hardwire to clean up some things

Replaced the OEM diff bolts with the updated ones. Not a sign of backing away from the old ones as they were perfect, which is nice to know.

Original Bolts were completely fine

Shot with neighbor’s E36 M3 which is getting the “Track car/DD” treatment currently

So my friend and I were hanging out in his garage one of the first few nights after I received my car, and we just messing around analyzing the car in it’s current form to see what kind of mods the previous owner had done in which he had failed to mention. We found:

-Eibach lowering springs
-Autosolutions SSK with a ZHP knob and alcantara shift boot
-Turner RTABs with limiters
-French headlights with 3k bulbs
-Stoptech stainless steel brake lines

All quality parts, which I was kind of stoked on.

Valve Adjustment from local M3F member Playskool1 (Ray). Only had two shims slightly out of spec which was great to know. Highly recommend this guy as he takes his time, is incredibly knowledgeable, and has very reasonable pricing.

Installed an AFE Intake I picked up from a local for cheap. My friend and I were able to retain the stock kidney ducting as well as the duct from the fog light hole, so at least the intake isn’t completely heat soaking. I was more after sound anyways, so losing one or two hp is nbd to me.

Followed with some Rogue Engineering tranny mounts. Sorry no pics.

Decided to give the wheel wells and barrels of my wheels a complete scrubbing since there was some slight mud from when the car was loaded onto the trailer to be shipped.

Before:

After:

All clean!

First shot of the car all clean and up to my standards so far since taking ownership. Still need to do some paint correction and hit the inside of the wheels with Iron X to get rid of some baked on brake dust from the previous owner.

Shot of the car at East Bay BMW next to a Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 in the parking lot. Original owner since 2002 and a friend’s dad.

Decided to drain and fill my diff and trans fluids, as well as bleed the clutch and brake fluid. Did these all on separate days, and made a massive difference. Trans fluid was the most noticeable change.

Shot of the car downtown.

And that leads me up to today. I’ll be updating this frequently as things change. Thanks!

]

Last edited by TheGenius46M; Tue, Jan-07-2014 at 01:08:17 PM.
Old Tue, Jan-07-2014, 01:06:41 PM   #5
TheGenius46M

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
Might just be me & my work computer, mate. But all of the pics are black

Edit: Guess it was just my computer! Looks great! Clean gray interior! That's a rarity in itself!
I had embedded them wrong. Lol. Oh and thanks! Appreciate it!

]

Old Tue, Jan-07-2014, 01:09:29 PM   #6
PhoenixClave
Play Drums, Drive Ugly Colored Cars.

United States

Hey man i cant help but notice that your purchased Redline Trans(?) fluid.

That was by far the worst thing i had ever done to my car. It held up for a good 1.5k miles then really started to deteriorate. Just a friendly warning!

Love the V1, nice start!

And that PY
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T View Post
Rules of life:

-As long as your are trying, chasing, longing, pawing, everything runs away.

-When you start minding your own business, doing what fulfills you and you enjoy the most, things may start coming to you... as long as you don't have expectations of them, think you are entitled to them.

A butterfly lands on your hand
Close it, you crush it
Leave it open, it may stay or fly away
But you have been blessed for the moments
Be grateful
Jump to top PhoenixClave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-07-2014, 01:19:56 PM   #7
TheGenius46M

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
Hey man i cant help but notice that your purchased Redline Trans(?) fluid.

That was by far the worst thing i had ever done to my car. It held up for a good 1.5k miles then really started to deteriorate. Just a friendly warning!

Love the V1, nice start!

And that PY
Oh agree 100%! Had a long discussion with my buddy who has a Z4M Coupe, and he said the same thing. Had it in my car for 2-3 weeks and when cold, the shifting is terrible and I really have to be careful. Found out today that the MT-90 isn't even supposed to be used on the street in cold climate according to Bimmerworld. Gotta thank ECS for having a POS "trans fluid kit" that included MT-90. Lol

What do you use? I'm debating either switching to Redline MTL (OEM viscosity) or if I can indeed source the OEM fluid, just use that. I want to change it this afternoon if possible. Literally hate the tranny when the car has been sitting outside of my garage for extended periods.

]

Old Tue, Jan-07-2014, 01:27:30 PM   #8
RSM333
M Therapy

In the garage:

United States

Ahhh...the thrill of the hunt! Rewarded at last. Great looking car and start on maintaining it.
03 Tiag || KW V2 coilovers w/ Vorshlag CP || Brembo 355/345 || Afe Stg1 || Okada Plasma Coils || SS v2 stepped headers, SS Race Cats, El Diablo muffler|| OEM Csl diffuser, OEM Csl trunk || APEX 18x9.5 /18x10.5
My Journal
Jump to top RSM333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-07-2014, 01:29:44 PM   #9
TheGenius46M

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM333 View Post
Ahhh...the thrill of the hunt! Rewarded at last. Great looking car and start on maintaining it.
I know right? The process literally took over my life day and night. Glad it's over. Lol. I want this car to last me at least 5 years, so maintenance has always been a top priority to me.

]

Old Tue, Jan-07-2014, 01:59:41 PM   #10
TheGenius46M

In the garage:

United States

Did a few more mods lately, and this will get me entirely up to date.

Dr 3vil inspired French corners to match the French high beam housings that came with the car. Figured I'd try something different.

Followed with some facelift inner tail lights for the updated look. Will be going with OEM LED conversion in the future. This was just to hold me over for the time being.

Wrapped the trim in 3M Dinoc Steel Blue. Really like how this came out. And again was going for that somewhat different look, while still trying to stay clean. Will probably do an all black dash, center console, panels, and carpets in the future and the trim will look even better for those of you doubters out there.

Rolled over to 60k miles a few days ago and Inspection II is mostly complete, so I'm in really good shape. Just have a few little things remaining, but the bulk is done for maintenance. Huge relief.

CDV Delete

A shot with my buddy's E36 M3 that's a DD with track car focus. I owe him the most credit for helping me out with a lot of the little things on this build that wouldn't have happened otherwise without him.

And lastly had another friend of mine who's going to photography school do a quick shoot on my car. Turned out epic!

]