BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, May-27-2013, 09:46:26 PM   #1
bluewater87
Heiddaba

Canada

Default Evolve live dyno tune - how does it work?

I am trying to understand how the Evolve live dyno tune works.

I have had some conversations via pm with Evolve and other members who have done the live tune, but I still have some questions as it seems there is some conflicting info.

What i was told by Evolve was:
"You just book a time slot in with us and get to the dyno - do your base runs with our initial tune and then send us feedback. We will then send you maps based on the data from the dyno."

What is Evolve looking for for feedback?

"Best thing to do is to find a dynojet that can log these through the OBD port and send us the data via email. We would be looking for ignition advance, IAT, Boost and AFR mainly."

This is where it starts getting fuzzy for me.
Based on what Evolve is saying, the dynojet computer records these values from the ecu via a cable connected to the OBD port.
Is this correct? If so, using the evolve cable or a dynojet cable?

So assuming that the above is correct (dynojet records vehicles parameters for each run), you have to complete your three runs, save the dyno files on the shops desktop... plug in your thumb drive and copy the desktop files to the thumb drive... take out the thumb drive and put it in you laptop and email it to evolve. You will get a file back through email. Install that file through the evolve cable and do 3 more pulls... then repeat. About 5 or so times and you will have a maxed out evolved car.

Looking to get some feedback from members who have done this process as well as from evolve.
02 M3 E46 Vert Phoenix Yellow 6MT (21k miles), VF Stage 2, Evolve tuned 486whp 328wtq (SAE), Evosport Headers, CPI RT, RE El Diablo (Ti 80mmX4) & SSK & Racebrace, TCK S/A & LCAs, H&R Sways, Vorshlag M-Force CPs, Mirror Gauges, Urethane RTABs, Stoptech BBK, RAC RG63s 18" Anthracite, Michelin PS3s 255/40/18 285/35/18

06 M3 E46 ZCP Silver Grey 6MT, Evolve tuned 305whp 244wtq (SAE), RE SSK, CDV delete, Urethane RTABs, AEs, RacingBrake front bbk, SS brake lines, VT engine/tranny mounts, 245/275, 13.2@104 1.94 60' (285whp)
4.10s soon to be installed
Jump to top bluewater87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-28-2013, 02:51:41 PM   #2
mentalhawk

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Evolve live dyno tune - how does it work?

I've done a live dyno tune and it's relatively easy. I did it with Epic Motorsports, but I am sure the process is similar. Epic and the shop I used, both had TeamViewer where Epic could log into my personal computer and the dyno shop's computer. I had my personal computer with the Epic software so that any changes that were made, he could remotely program the ECU with my laptop right then and there. He needed to be logged into the dyno shop's computer so that he could see all the information reading out from the sensors. Each run he would tweak settings, try another run and repeat the process.

Now it seems like Evolve does not log into the computers remotely and just relies on you to email the files back and forth. The Dynojet is going to save files in a .drf format. That is the information I think Evolve wants. They would use those files, and tweak settings to send back a tune to you. Program the ECU with the new file and do another run and see if improvements are made. You may find yourself resorting to a previous tune file if the new changes made you lose power somewhere and that's ok. That's why it's called a live tune.
Jump to top mentalhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-28-2013, 03:43:08 PM   #3
///scott

In the garage:

United States

Does anyone have an estimate of the cost involved. I assume you pay both the Dynow operator and evolve?

Jump to top ///scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-28-2013, 04:11:18 PM   #4
bluewater87
Heiddaba

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalhawk View Post
He needed to be logged into the dyno shop's computer so that he could see all the information reading out from the sensors.
What sensors were used and where were they connected to?
So the dyno computer was never connected to the obd port, correct?

Trying to understand how the afr, spark, etc. are recorded onto the dyno computer.
02 M3 E46 Vert Phoenix Yellow 6MT (21k miles), VF Stage 2, Evolve tuned 486whp 328wtq (SAE), Evosport Headers, CPI RT, RE El Diablo (Ti 80mmX4) & SSK & Racebrace, TCK S/A & LCAs, H&R Sways, Vorshlag M-Force CPs, Mirror Gauges, Urethane RTABs, Stoptech BBK, RAC RG63s 18" Anthracite, Michelin PS3s 255/40/18 285/35/18

06 M3 E46 ZCP Silver Grey 6MT, Evolve tuned 305whp 244wtq (SAE), RE SSK, CDV delete, Urethane RTABs, AEs, RacingBrake front bbk, SS brake lines, VT engine/tranny mounts, 245/275, 13.2@104 1.94 60' (285whp)
Old Tue, May-28-2013, 05:54:55 PM   #5
imran@evolve
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Some dynojets have this facility to record these parameters through the cars OBD port. Failing that you need some software for your laptop that can record this to feedback to us.

Boost would be recorded via the dyno with a direct connection to a boost line.

Visit our Site or Contact us.
Jump to top imran@evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-28-2013, 08:45:45 PM   #6
bluewater87
Heiddaba

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by imran@evolve View Post
Some dynojets have this facility to record these parameters through the cars OBD port.
Is this what you use for your dyno(jet?)?
Does this facility have a name or something? I don't know what to ask dyno shops if they have this facility/capability. If they do have it, would they even know they have it (is there a module or is it just a software upgrade)?

Thanks for your help

Old Tue, May-28-2013, 11:56:58 PM   #7
evolve_auto
BMW Tuning

United Kingdom

Its called the datalink system I believe.
Our dyno also records many paramters through OBD2 (dyno dynamics).

Jump to top evolve_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-29-2013, 12:03:37 AM   #8
bluewater87
Heiddaba

Canada

Would be nice if the evolve software had this capability (data logging the necessary parameters (needed for tuning) of a dyno pull through the obd port).

Evolve, is this something you hope to achieve in the (near?) future?

Old Wed, May-29-2013, 01:52:21 AM   #9
cyberlando

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater87 View Post
Would be nice if the evolve software had this capability (data logging the necessary parameters (needed for tuning) of a dyno pull through the obd port).

I see there being a slot for data logging in your software now...........it would be great for you guys to actually implement it one of these days!
Tune:
[] EVOLVE-R Stage 2 [] Shift Lights 6MT [] Sport Mode Memory[]
Interior:
[] Led Interior [] DICE Module [] Auxilary 3.5 jack [] 4 channel Amp with component speakers.....and more
Suspension/Handling:
[] KW V3 [] Eibach F&R Sways [] Vibratechnics Tranny mount [] UUC RTAB
[] Vibratechnics Motor Mount [] SSBL [] Turner Camber Plates
[] 90A Akg Subframe Bushings [] Akg Differential Bushings [] Subframe Renforcement []

Jump to top cyberlando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-29-2013, 10:03:18 AM   #10
imran@evolve
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater87 View Post

Yes we hope so.

Jump to top imran@evolve is offline   Reply With Quote