BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Car Care and Detailing
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Car Care and Detailing Place to discuss keeping your M looking its best.

Old Tue, Sep-21-2004, 02:29:27 PM   #1
DEW

Default Leather Seats & Lexol

I've had my 04 M3 for about 8 months and decided to condition the leather (black leather). I heard Lexol was good so I applied it over the weekend. I tried to remove the excess and reduce the shine but I wasn't terribly successful. I really enjoyed the subdued finish that the leather came in but now it is shiny and somewhat sticky. Has anyone that uses Lexol had similar experiences. What can I do to get the leather back to the condition it was in before I applied Lexol?

Any help is appreciated.
Jump to top DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Sep-21-2004, 02:46:09 PM   #2
M3peat
Banned

Use a leather cleaner or a combination cleaner/conditioner. Do not use a leather conditioner product only. Hope this helps...
Jump to top M3peat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-21-2004, 02:51:02 PM   #3
epM3cisa
I love driving a clean M!

You may have used too much. I use Lexol cleaner every few weeks and Lexol conditioner every 6-8 weeks. I dont have any problems. You may want to keep buffing the excess off with a microfiber towel or another really soft towel.

Retired
2004 ///M3 Coupe
Imola Red Black Nappa Leather 6 speed manual - Bi-Xenons - Harman Kardon - Heated Seats
Aftermarket Accessories/Mods
30% Tint - Blitzsafe XM Direct Satellite Radio - /// M Aluminum Pedals - /// M Trunk and Floor Mats - Painted Front Reflectors - Painted Keyhole Cover - Passport X50 - Stealth Bulbs - UUC Clutch Stop - UUC EVOIII SSK

Jump to top epM3cisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-21-2004, 03:05:40 PM   #4
DEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by epM3cisa
You may have used too much. I use Lexol cleaner every few weeks and Lexol conditioner every 6-8 weeks. I dont have any problems. You may want to keep buffing the excess off with a microfiber towel or another really soft towel.

Does your leather still have that nice matte finish like when you first bought the car.

When I applied the conditioner, I made sure the leather looked "wet", I let it sit for a minutes and then buffed off the excess.
Jump to top DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-21-2004, 06:46:34 PM   #5
ArtM3
Banned

I clean and condition 2 times a year. The shine will diminish over time as the product is absorbed. Take a clean towel and wipe everyhting down again.
Jump to top ArtM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-21-2004, 10:02:30 PM   #6
epM3cisa
I love driving a clean M!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW
Does your leather still have that nice matte finish like when you first bought the car.

When I applied the conditioner, I made sure the leather looked "wet", I let it sit for a minutes and then buffed off the excess.
My leather feels like it did the day I bought it. Of course, I have only had my car since March 27, 2004.

If you are certain you buffed off all of the remaining product then you can try a different conditioner. I have heard good things about the BMW leather care products.

Retired
2004 ///M3 Coupe
Imola Red Black Nappa Leather 6 speed manual - Bi-Xenons - Harman Kardon - Heated Seats
Aftermarket Accessories/Mods
30% Tint - Blitzsafe XM Direct Satellite Radio - /// M Aluminum Pedals - /// M Trunk and Floor Mats - Painted Front Reflectors - Painted Keyhole Cover - Passport X50 - Stealth Bulbs - UUC Clutch Stop - UUC EVOIII SSK

Jump to top epM3cisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-22-2004, 03:02:40 PM   #7
TCM

You need to buff off the leather with a microfibre after about 20 minutes or so to remove all excess product not absorb by the leather. Try cleaning the seat with a leather cleaner, then wipe with wet rag, and then conditon again. Buff off 20 minutes after the conditioner and you should be ok. Hope this helps.
Old Wed, Sep-22-2004, 08:50:08 PM   #8
time12
BMW Fanatic

Lexol is only good for Lexus leather.
Old Mon, Oct-04-2004, 08:18:10 PM   #9
dm_n_stuff

use this.

http://leatherique.com/default.htm

Great stuff for maintenance and restoration.

Redid a set of dino seats with excellent results.
Jump to top dm_n_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote