BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Closed Thread

Old Tue, Oct-09-2012, 12:12:55 PM   #1
rbenjami
Grumpy Old Man

United States

Default NEW DISCOVERY: Bluetooth Audio on E46 M3

Awhile ago I posted a query with no answers. How can I get music from my new iPhone 5 to come through my car OEM sound system? I have bluetooth telephone (TCU swap), but no bluetooth audio sound.

I am now able to get bluetooth audio through my car speakers. And it is cheap and easy.

First, I had to add the DICE ipod kit. http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...tegration-Kit/This kit hooks up to the existing CD changer harness in your trunk and ends in a 30 pin apple connector. The kit can be set up two ways. First, you could set it up so that the ipod is controlled through the head unit - through a complex system of disc and track buttons. It is complex and requires you to remember what the different discs and tracks are. Second, you can set it up so that the iPod is the controller and the sound connector just gives a link for the audio signal and power.

I set mine up the second way, so that the ipod had all of the control. BUT my iPhone 5 doesnt have a 30 pin connector. So, I started to look at bluetooth audio solutions. All were very expensive. Until I found this:

EDIT: The link at the top doesn't seem to work, but if you click on the link under the picture, it works.

For $25 I found a little doggle that plugs into your 30 pin DICE connector and gives you a powered bluetooth receiver. Now, I use the head unit to select the CD changer and it automatically powers up the doggle (which I have hidden away). Once powered, it takes a couple of seconds to automatically link to the bluetooth on my iPhone. Once linked, I can stream music, pandora, or anything else through my car speakers with excellent sound quality. Best of all, the bluetooth phone still works through the steering wheel controls.

• If you are wondering about whether or not to buy snow tires, please review the dozens of threads where people caused thousands of dollars of damage in a light snowfall at 10 mph.
  • If you are thinking about buying an M3 because they can now be found pre-owned fairly inexpensively, please review the threads explaining how expensive the maintenance is. Plan on spending $2,000 or more per year on routine maintenance.

Last edited by rbenjami; Tue, Oct-09-2012 at 12:44:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Oct-09-2012, 12:26:54 PM   #2
Oldboy

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: NEW DISCOVERY: Bluetooth Audio on E46 M3

Nice! How the h*ll did you figure that out?!?!? Great job and thanks for sharing!
Old Tue, Oct-09-2012, 12:40:29 PM   #3
loayoweis

United States

Awesome! The amazon link did not work. I was looking for this solution. I have an 01 with the older unit so this is what I am interested in.

Regards,
Loay

Old Tue, Oct-09-2012, 01:35:12 PM   #4
m3freak86
JERSEY STRONG

In the garage:

United States

Wow, nice find! Might have to pick this up.

2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatch

2004 Carbon Black///M3 (gone)
My Exhaust Obsession
My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2 View Post
bc i fckn :gt3: bro and I'm better than everyone
Old Tue, Oct-09-2012, 02:06:17 PM   #5
rbenjami
Grumpy Old Man

United States

Here is another merchant that has the same thing for fifteen bucks.

http://shop.brando.com/I-WAVE-Blueto...c0299d057.html

And here too:

http://www.chinaecarts.com/iwave-blu...ad-p-2998.html

My Amazon order came in an envelope from china with the same packaging shown in the second link. Amazon, though, has the world's best return policy - in case it doesn't work for you as well as it did for me. Of course, for fifteen bucks, it might be worth the risk (since I see the Amazon sellers are now north of thirty bucks!)

• If you are wondering about whether or not to buy snow tires, please review the dozens of threads where people caused thousands of dollars of damage in a light snowfall at 10 mph.
  • If you are thinking about buying an M3 because they can now be found pre-owned fairly inexpensively, please review the threads explaining how expensive the maintenance is. Plan on spending $2,000 or more per year on routine maintenance.

Last edited by rbenjami; Tue, Oct-09-2012 at 02:09:39 PM.
Old Tue, Oct-09-2012, 02:12:46 PM   #6
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

Noob question, and don't mean to hijack the thread, how can i tell if my car has BT or not?
05/2004 SMG PY/IR - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - PF RTABs & FCABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire&Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - BMW MS 4.10 - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - Borla Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - Active Prima plus & Frank Smith tuning (472whp, 9/16/2014 Dyno)
Old Tue, Oct-09-2012, 02:19:30 PM   #7
rbenjami
Grumpy Old Man

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokgo20 View Post
Noob question, and don't mean to hijack the thread, how can i tell if my car has BT or not?
When you first start up your car, have your phone search for devices. If you are 2003 or earlier, you dont have it (unless added by a prior owner). If you are 2005 or later, you probably do. If you are 2004, it is a crapshoot.

Old Tue, Oct-09-2012, 02:46:27 PM   #8
M3Moogle
Kupo

Russian Federation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbenjami View Post
When you first start up your car, have your phone search for devices. If you are 2003 or earlier, you dont have it (unless added by a prior owner). If you are 2005 or later, you probably do. If you are 2004, it is a crapshoot.
Unless you have Nav, then you have it regardless of the year... i think :P
Old Tue, Oct-09-2012, 02:53:20 PM   #9
niart906

In the garage:

United States

Op you are a god!!! I've been looking for an inexpensive Bluetooth solution forever. Thanks!!!

2003 ///M3 6spd Jet Black/Cinnamon
BC Racing Coils | VMR VB3's | Coby Wheel | AA Gen 3 Muffler
(I Loan Valve Adjustment Tools! PM me...)
Old Tue, Oct-09-2012, 02:54:34 PM   #10
rbenjami
Grumpy Old Man

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Moogle View Post
Unless you have Nav, then you have it regardless of the year... i think :P
Not true. I have Nav on my 04 and it did not have bt. There are many threads on this, lets not hijack this one. OK?

Closed Thread