BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Sun, Sep-09-2012, 07:37:21 AM   #1
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Default WyattH | E46 M3 Journal

Current as of October 2017 (~88K)

ORIGINAL SPECS & OPTIONS

2005 M3 Coupe (May production)
Carbon Black / Cinnamon
6 Speed Manual
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Navigation
Bi-Xenons
Replaced: 19'' Wheels, Aluminum Trim, Harman Kardon

POWERTRAIN
Dinan S3 Supercharger System [Vortech V2 @ 4.5PSI, Intake, Injectors, Alpha-N Software, Aluminum Radiator, CNC Mounts]
Dinan Throttle Bodies
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan 3.91 LSD

FOOTWORK
RAC Monolite RG4 19x9F, 19x10R
Michelin Super Sports 245/35F, 275/30R
Brembo GT BBK 380x6F, 345x4R
TC Kline S/A Coilovers #450F, #500R
TC Kline Camber/Caster Plates
TC Kline Buna Rear Shock Mounts
OE CSL Rear Lower Control Arms
Dinan Monoball RTABs

CHASSIS
Dinan Front Tower Brace [signed by Steve Dinan ]
Dinan Rear Tower Brace
OE Updated Motor Mounts
Rogue Transmission Mounts
AKG 95A Differential Mounts
AKG 90A Subframe Bushings
HPF Subframe Reinforcement Plates [3M 08115]
Rogue Rear Spring Perch Reinforcements
OE Front Shock Tower Reinforcements

EXTERIOR
OE Euro Front Bumper
OE CSL Bootlid
Vorsteiner CSL Diffuser
EAS Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Llumar Air 80 Ceramic Tint
Custom Clear Bra, Ceramic Pro 9H

INTERIOR
0-60 Motorsports M-Stitch Steering Wheel
OE ZHP Shift Knob
Rogue Octane SSK
Ultimate Aluminum Pedals
AKG Delrin Pedal Bushings
Mason Engineering GSP Clutch Pedal
LeatherZ Extended Cinnamon [Dash Trim, Boots]
EAS Carbon Fiber Trim [Armrests, Shift Surround, Steering Column]
OE Eurotray & Auxiliary
BSW (Rainbow) Stage 1 Audio & d110 Subwoofer
OE Updated Floor Mats
OE Trunk Carpet, WeatherTech Mat, Net
OE Alarm
Coded: 1-Touch Rear Windows
Coded: Positioned/Memory Reverse Tilt
Coded: V.32 Software w/ Custom Splash Screen
Removed: Rear Middle Seatbelt, Ski-Pass Bag

LIGHTING
ZKW-R Projector Lenses
Osram CBI 5000K Bi-Xenon Bulbs
Morimoto Elite 35w/5000K HID Foglights
Philips Silver Vision Turn Signals
OE E90 Registration LEDs
Cree EE5 Reverse LEDs
Sylvania XtraVision Flash-to-Pass
Coded: Triple-Blink Signals
Coded: DRLs Disabled
Coded: Fogs + High Beams

MISC. aka BECAUSE M3
Beisan Systems Vanos Oil Pump Disk
Beisan Systems Vanos Sealing Plate
Beisan Systems Vanos Seals Kit
Beisan Systems Vanos Rattle Kit
Beisan Systems Vanos Solenoid
OE Updated Vanos Oil Line
OE Updated Cam Bolts
OE Updated Differential Bolts
Turner SS Clutch Line [CDV Removed]
M3F Viton CPV O-Ring
Sachs Sport Fan Clutch
Coded: CSL 6MT Shift Lights
Coded: CSL Warm-Up Lights
Coded: Cold-Start Delete

Dyno video: 362whp/266wtq SAE (372/274 STD) on the EAS DynoJet in Southern California.

-----

Note: Much of this thread has Imgur and Imageshack-hosted photos. Unfortunately, Imgur links are no longer active on M3F without downloading a simple browser extension. To view Imgur-hosted photos on M3F, follow the simple instructions in this post: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...2&postcount=56

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal

Last edited by WyattH; Tue, Jan-30-2018 at 12:14:16 AM.
Jump to top WyattH is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Sep-09-2012, 07:37:48 AM   #2
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: WyattH - CB/Cinn Dinan S3+

Original Post #1: September 08, 2012

I bought my 2005 M3 coupe from member "Bug" and had it shipped from Italy to Washington State in Spring 2012.
I was looking for a stock car that I was going to mildly upgrade, but when this one showed up with all of the right options and colors and the exact upgrades that I would have done with the budget, I had to jump on it. And so glad that I did, because now all of the money I would have spent on parts is instead going towards bulletproofing and proactive maintenance, and hopefully a little track time!
I sure took a risk buying a car sight-unseen from Italy, but it couldn't have been any easier. I had purchased sight-unseen before, but only within the lower 48. Bug is the man - so easy to work with, and kept meticulous records with a binder full of all receipts.
I couldn't be happier, and plan to keep this car forever. Hopefully I can retire her from DD duty within a year or two.

Options, spec:
2005 M3 Coupe
Carbon Black with Cinnamon
6 Speed Manual
Navigation
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Bi-Xenons

It came with the following already equipped:

POWERTRAIN & DRIVETRAIN:
Dinan Supercharger Kit [Vortech @ 4.5PSI, Intake, Injectors, Software, Radiator]
Dinan Throttle Bodies
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan 3.91 LSD
Rogue SSK

FOOTWORK:
RAC Monolites RG4 V1
Michelin PSS 245/275
Brembo BBK 380x6/345x4
TC Kline S/A Coilovers 450/500
TC Kline Camber/Caster Plates
OEM CSL Lower Control Arms
Dinan Front Tower Bar (signed by Steve )
Dinan Monoball RTABs

EXTERIOR:
OEM Euro Front Bumper
Strassentech Front Lip
OEM CSL Bootlid
Vorsteiner CSL Diffuser
Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Apexcone HID Foglights
35% Tint
3M Clear Bra

INTERIOR:
Carbon Fiber Trim
LeatherZ Cinnamon Dash, Boots, Shift Knob
0-60 Motorsports Steering Wheel
Mason Engineering GSP Clutch Pedal (unknown at time of purchase )
Ultimate Aluminum Pedals
BSW Stage II
BK Halon Extinguisher w/ Quick-Release

She arrived with 59,xxx. At 60,000 I took her in for EWS coding (required for the Dinan S4 software to pass emissions) and an oil change at Rolf's Imports in Lakewood, WA. I highly recommend this shop to anybody in the PNW - Mark (the owner) knows his stuff and was great to work with, they have a nice operation going on there.

Attached are a few pictures from delivery and how she sat when she arrived, some are mine and some from the PO:

Dad and brother taking delivery at the Seattle VPC -

I flew up for a weekend to check it out and help with emissions, but didn't have time to drive it back to LA. First time 'uncovering' her (also came with an OEM cover and a trickle charger) -

Getting all of my ducks in a row -

Vancouver, BC (lived here for 5 years, so I drove up from Seattle before heading to LA) -

Outside Crescent City, CA on the way from Seattle to Los Angeles, slammed with a full trunk and backseat. Still waiting for my brother to send me the GoPro footage (that's me in the reflection, not a dent) -

Some other pictures I liked, courtesy of BUG:

Here is an introductory thread, with many more pictures:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...light=leatherz

Another early thread with some photos:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=419747

---------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post #2: September 08, 2012

Right away, I decided I wanted to remove the Strassentech front lip. It's my favorite lip, and for something other than OEM it's second only to a CSL front. That said, I prefer the look of the plain Euro front bumper and the extra ground clearance.

Unfortunately, I was in LA when the car arrived in WA and my father picked it up for me. On day 1, he put the front into a curb and did a nice number on it. C'est la vie. I figured I wouldn't get as much for it, but the discount would open the market up to those with other colors and it could be repaired to as-new if going into the shop anyway. Second bummer: upon removal of the front bumper, I learned that this sucker wasn't go anywhere without serious damage to both pieces. Time to list the whole front FS and source another Euro bumper. Still working on that! Took this opportunity to clean the air filter (Dinan locates the filter behind a plate next to the driver-side foglight).
I also wanted to remove the CF headlight inserts. I had read that most units simply sit on top of the OEM plastic inserts, but again I ran into trouble - these simply replaced the OEM units. I will trade these for stock+cash next time I take the headlights apart.
Bitchin' day to just clean the air filter!

Brother helping re-install the clean and oiled filter -

Perfect fitment, and the method of installation ensures it plays it's aero part; this isn't going anywhere -

A few days later, before driving down to LA, I also installed some stealth turn signals (woo!!), an OEM ZHP shift knob, OEM auxiliary, and an OEM eurotray. The car came with a DICE unit, but it had a problem somewhere in the line (knew about this from the PO) and I decided to not mess with it and just yank it out. I debated between the aux and Intravee, but ultimately figured the aux would be fine for me. And at that price, if I get annoyed with it then I can step up to the Intravee later. But so far, I am satisfied with it - it does exactly what you expect it to do, and installed in the Eurotray is quite convenient. In fact, I plan to replace my iPhone4 with the new iPhone 5 within the month, which has the jack on the bottom of the phone, so the aux will be even more convenient.

Finally, I also gave her a much needed full detail. The interior was mint upon arrival; the exterior was okay but a little swirly. The clear bra ensured the paint was fine, and I could tell that all she needed was some old fashioned TLC. I picked up a full detailing kit from Griot's Garage and went to town with a thorough wash, clay, polish, and 2 coats of wax. I am very pleased with how it came out - she is now mint in and out! The paint is now deep and smooth. I've used a variety of products in the past including Meguiar's, Mother's, Turtle Wax, and Zaino. I would say these results compare to Zaino's, but for a little less money and elbow grease (the Zaino process is a bit more complicated, if I am remembering that correctly).

Last edited by WyattH; Sun, May-17-2015 at 05:45:09 AM.
Old Sun, Sep-09-2012, 07:38:56 AM   #3
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

The third day of work was much more productive, thanks to member Kaiv. I drove down to his place in San Diego and we (mostly he) went to work installing: AKG clutch bushing, TMS SS clutch line, and a CPI RT3. We also set the ride height to 13.5F/13.0R, did a little vanos maintenance (new filter, Beisan sealing plate), removed the CDV, and removed the BK fire extinguisher mount (really cool piece, but if my car catches fire, I am jettin' outta there and calling Insurance Co!). Kevin also went to town on some coding: Nav warning screen done away with, Euro sidemarkers, and 1-touch rear window close. The car also came with the DRLs deactivated and NAV software v32 (with a cool splash screen, score - I was getting ready to do this and it seemed like a PITA). We attempted to install OEM shock tower plates for peace of mind, but the TCK top hat bolts were not long enough to go through the plates and leave enough threads for the nuts on top. So, currently trying to get longer studs from TCK and will attempt to put these in again later.
We also found out the car has a Mason Engineering GSP clutch pedal, something the PO forgot to mention. That was a nice surprise!

Kevin doin' his thing with the GT1 -

Installing the Beisan Systems vanos sealing plate and a new OEM vanos filter. There was only minor seepage from the OEM sealing plate, and I had no evidence the filter had ever been changed or cleaned. These parts are too cheap and easy to avoid altogether, and I'm happy to report that the new filter replaced one that was perfectly clean with no crud.

Impressions -

Clutch stuff: The bolt keeping the clutch pedal in place actually allowed some side-to-side play because the nut bottomed out before it was totally tight. Luckily, Kevin had some perfectly sized washers that he threw on to eliminate that play. Upon removing the OEM bushings, I can't say for sure that they were shot, but the pedal definitely had some squeak (and play) which was double annoying. The new bushing combined with the washers did exactly as hoped - eliminated all of the play and squeak. Truly a worthwhile mod to anybody with a squeaking or sloppy pedal.
Removal of the CDV was also great. I didn't feel it much during normal driving, but it was a POS at high-RPM shifts. That is no longer the case, it is much easier and smoother to drive now. I figured while doing that, I may as well add the SS line. I doubt this contributed to the feel at all, but it's nice knowing I'll never have to worry about that (not that it's prone to failure).

CPI RT3: Sounds exactly how you'd expect. It removed all of the rasp, and smoothed out the sound of my Dinan exhaust. This is already a fairly quiet, low-rasp system. I didn't notice much change in volume (maybe a hair quieter when just cruising, but the same when you're on the gas at all). It kept the "sound" the same, but definitely toned down the pitch, if that makes any sense. As for power, I can't say that I felt any gain, but I sure didn't notice any loss as reported with the RE section 1. But, you do this for the sound, not the power. And with straight-through resonators and 2.36'' piping, it should gain a little if anything.

13.5F/13.0R: Holy shit does she handle well now!! Just kidding. No discernible difference because this was only the difference of .25-.5'' from where it was. But, this is supposedly the optimal height for maximum suspension travel. And that little difference made it easier to navigate around town - where I was barely scraping before, I now have no problems. It will stay at this height, as removal of the front lip will only make this even easier to drive. Aesthetically, I actually think it's still a bit low in the rear - because the fenders are not even, whereas the rake is proper (the front is perfect). The Rogue rear spring perches may raise the rear to ~13.2. I am obviously not part of the stance/slammed crew and prefer the conservative side of things; "OEM+" for me.

Two thumbs up to Kevin, I highly recommend his service to anybody in SoCal. He's the coolest Frenchman you'll ever meet, and I can't wait to hit the track with him later this year!

Last edited by WyattH; Mon, Oct-08-2012 at 07:11:09 AM.
Old Sun, Sep-09-2012, 07:50:00 AM   #4
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Coming up -- Reinforcements!!

In a couple of weeks, the car is heading to Minicorsa in North Hollywood. The owner, Danny, used to or still does drive an E46 M3 and was recommended by many on this board. He convinced me he knew his stuff and his pricing is competitive.

The following will be completed there:
HPF subframe plates (epoxied)
AKG 90a subframe bushings
AKG 95a differential mounts
OEM updated 10.9 differential mounting bolts
OEM guibo & CSB
OEM front shock tower plates *if TCK supplies the longer studs - otherwise it'll be a rear wheel alignment and this will be finished later*
Rogue rear spring perches
Rogue transmission mounts
4-wheel alignment
Oil change

I was going to try out the structural foam method because I am 99% sure it's a good fix, but 1 thing swayed me against it: It's long-term effectiveness is not yet proven, and if it fails, you cannot go back in to weld any repairs or plates. So, I've choked it up and decided to do the plates and bushings first, and will then pump the subframe with foam to make it super solid. Hopefully no 'vert floor replacement for me!

I will update this with my impressions of the parts and the shop once that is done. I am happy to work down the 'Bulletproofing Checklist.'

Last edited by WyattH; Wed, Sep-12-2012 at 06:19:03 AM.
Old Sun, Sep-09-2012, 08:08:36 AM   #5
Dizzeep
Blue Dreamin 24/7

In the garage:

India

Awesome start so far. Looking forward to the updates.

Post some pics of your car

Jump to top Dizzeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-12-2012, 05:09:44 AM   #6
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

HPF plates arrived, they are certainly thick and burly -

AKG Bushings arrived -

These definitely feel firm to the touch. Will be curious to see what they feel like once installed.

Now just waiting for the rest!

Last edited by WyattH; Fri, Sep-14-2012 at 07:37:58 AM.
Old Fri, Sep-14-2012, 07:40:25 AM   #7
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Installed an EE5 reverse LED tonight. The OEM bulb's output is terrible.
These are a bit bluer than I'd prefer (though not as blue as the pics make out), but the output seems improved. Accidentally ordered QTY1 instead of 1 pair so not sure if I will return or order the second. The bulb quality was great, the output was an improvement, but they are a bit blue... And at $50/pair, they should be perfect.

Autolumination turned out to have some great customer service. They apologized for not making the QTY clear even though it was really my fault. They offered 20% off the second bulb which covered shipping so I went with it. I recommend them for anybody looking for LEDs like this.

Last edited by WyattH; Sat, Sep-15-2012 at 07:10:33 AM.
Old Fri, Sep-14-2012, 02:56:34 PM   #8
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Great journal man!

Hopefully you and I both like the 95A Diff Bushings and Mount. I'm still trying to decide when to install them. I may take it to a shop because it looks like may be a bit of a hassle to do as as DIY. Keep me posted.

2004 E46 M3 6MT | Silver Grey . Cloth | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My E90 M3 Build Thread
2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | White . Black | Coming Soon

POST YOUR DYNO GRAPH HERE: The Official Dyno Thread
Jump to top flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-15-2012, 05:24:18 AM   #9
Dinan S3 M3

United States

Beautiful car

Alpine White-Imola 6 Speed

Dinan Supercharger\Dinan Throttle Bodies\Dinan 3.91 Diff\Dinan Exhaust\Dinan Stg5 ECU\Dinan JRZ Suspension\Dinan F&R Strut Braces\Dinan Camber Plates\27mm Adjustable Front Swaybar\Dinan-Brembo F380mm-R345mm BBK\Street-Dinan 19' Forged Wheels-Michelin PSS F-275/30/19 R-275/30/19
Jump to top Dinan S3 M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-16-2012, 02:26:34 AM   #10
M3_Aaron

Italy

Love the CB/cinnamon combination.. very nice ride