BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Aug-06-2012, 01:28:20 AM   #1
scrace

United States

Default Scott's Silver Gray E46 M3

Picked it up June 30th 2012 with 70k miles.

I picked it up knowing Inspection II had not been done yet...I think I got a good deal on the car regardless. I spent 6 weeks looking, and my only compromise about the car was the color (I wanted LSB) and I wanted heated seats...I didn't want to spend more than $25k on a car, and found this one for $19k in overall good condition. The previous owner was in his 60s, and owned 9 other cars. It was only driven 8k miles in the last 4 years. It's first owner had it for 10 months and put 7-8k miles on it, and the second owner took it up to 70k.

My first car was a 2001 325ci Topaz Blue had it for 6 years, did all the maintenance myself...it's unbelievable how knowledge I am now compared to when I started and didn't realize BMW was high maintenance being a dumb 16 year old.

Now being 23 I feel ready to take on the M3, and plan to keep this car the rest of my life.

first day it came home, was still in the process of selling the 325.

Here we go...

First mod was to put on was the Orions V2s....broken and hairlined clips from removing them.

I used binder clips from staples to secure them along with double sided tape to hold the clips.

Next, I ordered smoked clear corners, smoked side markets, painted reflectors, matte black grill and side vents & stealth corner bulbs.

Smoked corners and painted reflectors on....

I was surprised at how much I liked the look once I added the smoked corners with the chrome grill...might go back to this setup at some point.

Before:

After:

Also, threw this on the for extra 10 HP, still decided how/where to put my m3forum sticker...

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles sold
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
Jump to top scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Aug-06-2012, 01:58:45 AM   #2
scrace

United States

Default Maintenance

Ahhhh, now time for the maintenance. I decided I wanted to do everything that was practical.

After looking at all the old parts this stuff hasn't been done in at least 30-40k miles, if not since 1.5k miles.

What is done:

Cabin Filter

Air Filter

Vanos Filter, O-Rings and Sealing Plate

Oil Change

Cleaned MAF Senor

Removed CDV

Removed OEM Knob & Replaced with my old ZHP knob & cut shift boot

Valve Adjustment (Done by Dave (dafoe))

VCG Kit

Spark Plugs

Fixed Passenger Side Window Popping

Battery

What needs to be done:

Fuel Filter
330d Shifter
New ZHP knob
AUX Input
Coolant Change
Rear Diff. Fluid Change
Transmission Fluid Change
Bottom ashtray lid, clip and spring fix

Upper Radiator Hose -- has what seems to be a crack that is spidering at where they painted the hose...just going to replaced it only $25 and it can't hurt.

Rock Chips touched up and whole car paint correction
Paintless Dent Removal
Turn off DRLs

I have most of the parts. I've been waiting for a cooler day to do this stuff, it's been in the mid 90s with high humidity in MD.

Does anyone else know any other DIY maintenance I could do?

Old Mon, Aug-06-2012, 02:28:00 AM   #3
TPLGT
I'm Your Drinkin' Buddy

United States

Default Re: Scott's Silver Gray E46 M3

Good job. Looks like you have things in order!
Jump to top TPLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-09-2012, 01:18:17 AM   #4
scrace

United States

Default Finished Fuel Filter DIY

Rushed the job last night and ended up kinking my o-ring and then not realizing the car was leaking gas due to the o-ring...so had a fun time re-doing the job today. Thankfully I ordered 3 O-rings due to such the occasion.

While I was done there I snapped some pics of my guibo, transmission mounts and fcabs.

They look good to me, the clutch was just replaced and it looks like they did all the bushing along with it. Also, new brakes and rotors all around (less than 5k on them along with tires).

Car + full maintenance = $23k, almost a 1/3 of the price new and the same exact driving experience. I am very pleased with my purchase and the color is growing on me.

I plasti-dipped my license plate it turned out good, just doesn't seem to look good on my car...find of considering taking it off and going with chrome.

Old Thu, Aug-09-2012, 04:16:16 AM   #5
KhanArt
CLEAN & SIMPLE

In the garage:

United States

Great start! Where are you located? I might ask you some questions when I begin doing maintenance on my car.

Do you ever go to any of the cars and coffee events?
Jump to top KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-09-2012, 11:16:48 AM   #6
scrace

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanArt View Post
Great start! Where are you located? I might ask you some questions when I begin doing maintenance on my car.

Do you ever go to any of the cars and coffee events?
Cars and Coffee is ~2 hour from me, I'm hoping to do it at some point tho. My zip code is 21713.

Ask away, I did everything but the valve adjustment and VCG kit, which was done by a local member dafoe. I watched him do it and did a valve...it's pretty simple once you invest in the tools to do it.

It's 100% worth doing the maintenance so far my MPG has increased along with more power overall. It feels like a brand new car. It's awesome.

Old Fri, Aug-10-2012, 11:35:32 PM   #7
scrace

United States

Installed my AUX today, works great! Hopefully it's better sound quality than my FM transmitter.

I decided to write up a DIY in the process.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=938013

Last edited by scrace; Fri, Aug-10-2012 at 11:39:29 PM.
Old Sun, Aug-12-2012, 02:35:45 AM   #8
scrace

United States

I was bored last night and decided to install the 330d shifter and my new ZHP knob.

I didn't like it for the first 20-30 shifts...but after that it's awesome...I can rip through the gears, the short throw makes such a difference.

Heres a couple shots of the new knob, and existing 70k mile boot I cut from the original one piece shifter.

Tips if anyone is going to try this:

This is the clip you can remove from the top with a screw driver, just push and pry it off.

I couldn't put it on from the top, my fingers weren't long enough, so here is a shot of the clip from the bottom.

Make sure you remove both yellow washers on the selector lever, you won't need new ones because they are built into the new knob.

Also, when you put the shift lever and bearing into the top plate make sure you put the clips in the grooves and turn it counter clockwise (this is what worked best for me), so start the clip (it's just a lip on the bearing) on the right side of the groove/slot.

Difference in the two shifters, 330d on the right, stock M3 on the right.

I was on the fence about not liking the shorter shifts but I was completely wrong.

Old Wed, Oct-03-2012, 08:11:19 AM   #9
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Very nice Journal. Car looks fantastic.
EURO 04 M3 Current Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / Black Roundels / ///MFEST Badges / Depo Corners / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote