BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Fri, Apr-13-2012, 03:55:23 AM   #1
normcaldwell

United States

Default So, I bought a MAF-less tune . . . . . and they threw in

a hair dryer, aluminum picket fence, and a conical air filter.
The ESS VT2-500 tune was pricey, but with all the other stuff included, well I couldn't resist. Wanted the 550 kit, but alas, no 93US octane street fuel in Colorado.

Installation at 81,200 miles on my ’06 M3 Coupe.
I’ve had the car since 30,500 miles, I’m the 2nd owner. First owner was M3_Dust (a.k.a. Mike) who took perfect care of the ///M, including engine oil changes at the 7k points (in addition to the 1,200 mile break-in changes). The car has been virtually flawless. The engine does not consume oil, at least to my eye on the dipstick. I’ve done a few mods over time . . . the incurable disease.

Packaging and materials
Plenty of bubble wrap and other packing fill. Everything arrived in good shape. The pieces looked to be of very good quality, FMIC, piping, manifold, and of course, the hair dryer from Vortech.

Oil Cooler
Had to use the stock oil cooler for fitment. TMS is 3 inches wider on each side; so the FMIC bumped up against it. No oil temp issues on street so far. In fact, it's pretty much the same as before. The faster the car moves, the cooler the temp. Looking forward to how it works at the track next month.

E-Flash
Good stuff. Worked perfectly. The full ECU download takes about 45 minutes. AJ sends a full ECU replacement file, which takes about the same amount of time to upload. After 200 miles, I checked for dtc codes; none. Cool. For the upload, I made sure to plug in the laptop, and connect a battery tender to the car; just to be sure there was low risk of electrical power loss during the brain surgery.

Fitment
Overall kit fitment is pretty good, but we did need to slightly adjust one of the pipe attach points. We were pretty impressed with the quality of the hardware. Installation, if well done, takes about twice as long as the ESS website claim of 6-8 hours.

ECU Adaptation
I could have had a dealer use their BMW GT1 tool to clear adaptations, but didn't get a chance to do this. So, I just drove a lot that first weekend.

0 - 100 miles: it would frequently drop idle to stall. Also, throttle tip-in was a bit erratic.
101 - 200 miles: definite improvement, but still an occasional dropped idle.
201 - 300 miles: starting to shine. No dropped idle, and throttle tip-in pretty consistent.
301 - 400 miles: feels real good. Smooth idle, no drops. Throttle response feels very consistent.
401 - 700 miles: feels great. Smooth. Consistent. Had one dropped idle after a cold start in the garage. Next day, same start, no issues - perfect, smooth idle.
701 - 1,000 miles: Even better. Still smooth and consistent for idle and throttle response.
At installation, if you can have your adaptations fully cleared, it won't take as many miles to settle in.

Power
Loving it. It's addictive (no surprise here). It's still an S54, just plenty more across the board. I don't shift any differently; just have more on tap in any configuration. 1st and 2nd reach redline much more quickly than when NA. Tire traction on straight-aways still pretty good (PSS in stock sizes right now). On corners; watch out, DSC kicks in, and without it, a spin is much more likely. Gonna have to adjust to this (wish this was my biggest problem in life). I may do a dyno run sometime in the next couple of weeks.

MPG
It seems to be consuming no more fuel, and possibly a bit less, than NA at cruise speeds, 80 mph (oops, I mean 75 mph max). Maybe this is because there is less friction loss with the gentle psi at cruise than in NA mode. Note: this is using the old fashioned mpg calculation, not the OBD readout; which is now quite incorrect because of the change in fuel injectors. For stop-n-go driving; well, you know it's easy to consume a wee bit more fuel here and there. But, if necessary, the car can still be driven smooth and slow like a little old lady.

Intake and acceleration sound
Intake sound is still there, but is quieter at cruise than NA. And, overall, more quiet than NA. The V3si unit has some impeller blade whine, but it is not overbearing, in my opinion. It sounds a bit like a turbine engine on a jet. Speaking of intake, I highly recommend the K&N drycharger cover (not included with the kit). The conical filter is partially exposed in the brake duct area. The drycharger cover does a nice job of repelling water splashes.

Pressure relief sound
My kit was shipped with the GReddy replica valve (all silver). I dislike the sound; it's a pssh-pssh-pssh flutter. Sounds like there’s an exhaust gasket leak. First thing I thought when I heard it was, crap, what’s wrong? People would pull up to me at an intersection and say, “You need to fix your car!” lol . . . . .

My single beef with the ESS VT2-500 kit is the damn GReddy replica bypass valve. Does the job, but sounds like crap.
I contacted some VT2-500 and 550 owners and it seems that the GReddy replica piece normally comes with the 500, and the Vortech (black/silver) with the 550 kit.
Folks with the Vortech report a single woosh, and people with the GReddy replica report the flutter sound.

I much prefer the single whoosh sound. Installed the Vortech bypass valve, and now have the single woosh sound on pressure relief. Much better.
Only thing now is that there's an annoying whistle sound at light throttle settings.

Update
Thanks to NikolaiD's thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=408115 I found the same set of two springs installed in the GReddy replica BOV.
I've added a post later in this thread.

Current
Right now, 1,000 miles along, the car is running great. Smooth idle, fires right up, smooth operation, consistent throttle tip-in. I plan to keep the ///M a long time, and now I have plenty of power to keep me fairly satisfied and in danger of traffic violations. Still need to take it to the track. If I have water temp issues, I'll just have to deal with it then. I certainly have no water or oil temp issues on street, even with the a/c going. Haven't hit ambient air temps above 85 degrees, so the day ain't over yet. I'm happy with the hardware (not counting the Greddy unit) and software. No more MAF to mess with!

It’s good to have the various FI choices for the E46 M3. Each kit has its pros and cons. I went with ESS because of the E-Flash capability, a consistently good reputation for their software, and because I’d had a pretty good S/C kit from them back in 2004 for my ’03 330xi. Those were the days when the software used the MAF even with FI; and when I had to ship my ECU to Oslo, Norway for programming. My ECU went around the world while I stayed home . . . . .

Last edited by normcaldwell; Sun, Sep-09-2012 at 03:42:27 PM.
Jump to top normcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Apr-13-2012, 04:07:56 PM   #2
Ramp1

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: So, I bought a MAF-less tune . . . . . and they threw in

Great write up, post some videos! I keep thinking I'll wait to go SC for a couple of years and then someone like you posts up and the SC goes back on my 2013 gotta have list. Congrats on the new power.
Old Fri, Apr-13-2012, 04:58:28 PM   #3
BrokenM3

Reputation: 0 BrokenM3 has much to be proud ofBrokenM3 has much to be proud of

Croatia

Congrats OP

Are you going to add a catch can?
Jump to top BrokenM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-13-2012, 05:41:59 PM   #4
monochrom3
P-Car Noob

In the garage:

United States

Nice Norm!
e46 M3: TiAg, ESS VT450, Dinan 3.91's, Euro headers/cats, SS x-pipe, SS race muffler; GC coilovers & swaybar; Stoptech ST60/40; OEM CSL bootlid, Dinan 19's (sold)
997.2 GT3: Carrara White, no mods necessary (sold)
Jump to top monochrom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-13-2012, 05:55:18 PM   #5
M3junkE

In the garage:

United States

Awesome ride! I am getting about the same mileage as well. Maybe a little worse in the city, but highway is really good.
Jump to top M3junkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-14-2012, 02:55:14 AM   #6
normcaldwell

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp1 View Post
Great write up, post some videos! I keep thinking I'll wait to go SC for a couple of years and then someone like you posts up and the SC goes back on my 2013 gotta have list. Congrats on the new power.
I need to find a place to do some video stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenM3 View Post
Congrats OP

Are you going to add a catch can?
Looking into it; reading a number of threads on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monochrom3 View Post
Nice Norm!
Thanks Francis. It's a lot of fun to have the power on tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3junkE View Post
Awesome ride! I am getting about the same mileage as well. Maybe a little worse in the city, but highway is really good.
Yeah, once I'm stopped, I want to get quickly back up to speed. So, there's the 'worse' part!
Old Tue, Apr-17-2012, 02:22:16 PM   #7
docwyte
Track addict

United States

Is it going to pass Colorado smog testing with no MAF?

'98 BMW M3 Track Rat
'08 Lexus GX470 Daily Driver
'15 KTM 1190R Beastly Moto
Jump to top docwyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-17-2012, 06:46:43 PM   #8
normcaldwell

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Is it going to pass Colorado smog testing with no MAF?
For the OBDII ready and sniffer, it should pass.
I'm running OE cats (euro cats) and stock O2 sensors all around.
No check engine lights or other dtc codes.
Old Tue, Apr-17-2012, 08:03:46 PM   #9
docwyte
Track addict

United States

Check engine codes don't matter. Readiness codes do. Since you're not running a MAF you need to contact ESS and make sure you're not going to throw a MAF readiness code because if you do, you're going to fail emissions regardless of how clean the sniffer is.

'98 BMW M3 Track Rat
'08 Lexus GX470 Daily Driver
'15 KTM 1190R Beastly Moto
Jump to top docwyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-17-2012, 11:18:20 PM   #10
m3 guy
Praise the good blood!

In the garage:

United States

Great write up

2010 E60 M5 Saphire Black-Black JOURNAL