BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Fri, Mar-23-2012, 01:53:51 AM   #1
MasterC17

In the garage:

United States

Default MasterC17 - 2002 M3 SMG Street Legal Track Car Project

I've had this thread on another forum for a while and figured I would post it over here as well. Enjoy!

Well, after many months of pondering, changing my mind, etc. I finally decided to man up and sell my ZHP (not sold yet) and buy an M3 to use as a track car. So that's what I did. Everyone hates on the SMG and personally I like it so I decided to go with an SMG transmission. If it blows up, oh well. So, after a couple months of looking I found this...gem. A 2002 M3 with all options including SMG and 103k miles. Well maintained using all OEM or factory parts (Lemforder, Sachs, Continental, etc.) However, it was a Florida car and is sun-baked. On the bright side, no rust or the like. So I've been hard at work over the past week and a half. Received the car 1.15.2012.

1.16.2012 - Went to do an oil change. The 6mm hex socket broke in half trying to get the oil drain plug out - great start eh? Then started to strip out the interior.

They're like twins, sort of.

Starting on the interior.

1.18.2012 - Then I forgot to take pictures for a few days. I got the Sparco Evo in, finished stripping out the rear of the interior (leaving parts of the rear deck and a few other little things).

1.24.2012 - So I forgot to take pictures again for the next few days. I then started working on the front of the interior and got bored and moved onto the engine bay. I removed the aux fan, microfilter housing, A/C, fog lights, headlights (replacing with halogens), brake ducts (being replaced w/ Bimmerworld ducts), and more stuff. Here are photos of the car as it currently sits.

Interior:

Parts:

Engine Bay:

A/C Gone!

So I already ordered some tires, harnesses, and a few other things. Wheels should be ordered soon (ARC-8's). Only things left to remove are SAP, navigation, small misc. parts, and I'm contemplating the evaporator. So, anyway, I'll keep updating this thread. Hoping to have the car "ready", so to speak, by April. Have a long list of things to do.

1.28.2012 - Today I replaced some trim pieces that were sun-baked. Replaced the gas cap (new design stinks, but at least it's new) as well. Removed the clutch fan next. Then I 'washed' the engine bay and sprayed out the radiator and oil cooler to remove the years/miles of gunk in there (it was surprisingly pretty clean). Then I drove it for the first time and man, it is awesome. It's pretty loud with half an interior and when the exhaust rasps its awesome, sounds so good. Not to mention it is quite a lot faster than the ZHP. Very excited about this project, it just keeps getting better. Onto the pictures.

P.S. Car had no issues staying cool without any fans, in fact I had it sit idling for probably 20 minutes without issue ('burning off' the water).

2.02.2012 - Yesterday I removed the sunroof and the Navigation.

Today I installed the Halogen headlights and just threw the Evo 2 in the passenger side for now (waiting for bracket).

2.13.2012 - I know, I know, terrible pictures, I apologize.

Carbon Fiber Sunroof Delete:

Dash:

Other Stuff That Will Be Replaced:

At the end of the day I got the dash out of the car. Then I realized what an undertaking I am about to go through. I didn't think getting the carpet out would be this difficult, oh well. :woot:

P.S. I think this project is turning into the BARELY LEGAL Track Car Project :rofl:

2.14.2012 - Before:

After:

Taking the heater box out tomorrow. Then remove the evaporator, carpet, sound deadening, etc. :craig:

2.15.2012 - So, today the front carpet came out. I was going to pull the heater core to do it, but the hoses would NOT budge. Facing the fact that even if I did get the hoses off, there was no way in hell I was getting them back on, I decided to pursue pulling the front carpet without taking the heater core out. I'm glad to report I was successful. Now, yes, the evaporator will still be in the car, but for the measly 5lbs it weighs I figure I'm better off not touching it. Of course, this whole endeavor is probably only going to save me about 25lbs, so to be honest, it is NOT worth it. Oh well, I learned a lot and had fun. Now the question is can I put it all back together correctly? Also, I can now switch over the Nav harness to a Radio harness without cutting or anything and I will be starting to remove all the sound deadening tar in the car (here we go heat gun!). So long as everything goes back together correctly it was worth it.

2.18.2012 - Put the dash bar back in the car today. Made sure I knew what all the wiring went to and got organized. Getting some dry ice for the sound deadening soon.

2.20.2012 - Swapped the navigation harness out for a radio harness. Tested it and it works great! Started putting the dashboard back together.

2.26.2012 - Ok, picture time. Roll Bar is going in on Thursday and I should get the car back on the weekend.

Things to do before dropping the car off: Right-Angle Drill for SPAL, Install Bimmerworld Relay for SPAL, Dry Ice/Heat Gun Rear Sound Deadening, SAP Simulator, Clear SES/SRS Codes, and finally Pass State Inspection.

First-off, here's the bracket(s) I created for the SPAL. Notice it is also off-center because the stud for the clutch fan on the water pump sticks too far out. Also take note that I am drilling a hole for a bolt there and the vice-grips are just temporary :rofl:

Exterior looks better now (LED Tails, Clear Coners and Markers, Black Side Grills and Gills):

And the more-or less final iteration of the interior (just add roll bar, VAC floor pans, harnesses, and passenger seat (Evo 2)).

3.04.2012 - Alrighty, here's the pictures of the roll bar. He did an amazing job, it came out great, I'm very happy. Now I just have to paint it.

3.05.2012 - Started to wrap-up the interior so I can paint the roll bar.

3.06.2012 - I forgot the memory card for my camera, so you're going to have to deal with the poor pictures.

Basically, I removed all the rear portions of the sound deadening (up to the front bracket for the seats). This time I used a heat gun - it worked 1,000,000x better. It was SOOO much easier. DO NOT USE DRY ICE. Just needed to use some laquer thinner to clean up the residue, but still, way easier and no dents in the metal. I also painted the small rear-most portion where the sound deadening was. The paint (color) is nearly perfect, although it's a tad bit more "flaky"/metallic looking. Oh well, as long as it's close I don't particuarly care.

Heat Gun Much Better:

Heat Gun (Closer) vs. Dry Ice (Farther):

Laquer Thinner Before & After:

Painted:

3.08.2012 - Primed the roll bar tonight! Came out good, not perfect, not a big deal.

3.12.2012 - Sorry for the delay with the pictures, been very busy and kept forgetting memory cards or to charge the battery, etc. So, I finished painting the roll bar, made a floor pan out of lexan due to lack of carpet, fixed the dead space in the dead pedal, mounted camera mount, and finally almost got the passenger seat installed - almost (still some drilling and mounting to do). I ended up doing lots of touch up and re-doing and adding so the paint actually came out pretty good except for a few small spots. Onto the pictures!!

3.14.2012 - I'm planning on getting the new tires mounted on the new wheels tomorrow . Iím not sure they'll fit without camber plates however.

3.19.2012 - I installed the wheels on Sunday, below are a few pictures. Also ordered rotors for the pads, BW studs, BW solid brake caliper guides, and GC RSM's. For the moment, I'm going to be a loser and just run the "Madrussian Mod" to get about -2.5 degrees of camber up front, use GC RSM's, with an Eibach Pro-Kit and still use the stock shocks. I'll be using this setup until I can afford a real suspension and do it all at once. That means AST's w/ 700lb springs, front control arms, all the bushings, subframe mounts, engine mounts, tranny mounts, diff mounts, sway bars, etc. etc. as opposed to half-arsing it. It's better for learning too .

3.21.2012 - I figure anything I can do to help the SMG pump is a good thing. The harmonic balancers also have a tendancy to split on these cars when they get hot and they are old (which mine is!). For now I'm just ducting to the brakes via the stock route but I will be installing the BW Brake Ducting Kit soon. This whole process also included removing the washer fluid bottle which saved me about 10lbs with fluid.

And here's the final product:

Oops, off center, I'll go fix that!

To harmonic balancer:

To SMG Pump:

Stock brake ducting route:

Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-23-2012, 01:58:18 AM   #2
Tarmac_E36_M3
If it ain't lightweight, it ain't the right weight.

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: MasterC17 - 2002 M3 SMG Street Legal Track Car Project

Sweet.

Past fun:
69 Mustang
E46 M3 385 HP
GR STI 375 HP
GD STI 320 HP
E36 M3 250 HP
Jump to top Tarmac_E36_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-26-2012, 10:21:27 PM   #3
dmg

M Sgt. C-17s?
Jump to top dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-26-2012, 11:59:05 PM   #4
GotE92M

United States

nice project.
Old Tue, Mar-27-2012, 12:36:38 AM   #5
M3ANMACHINE
@coleslawjay

India

Very nice build you have here!

I hope to do something very similar as soon as I can afford to make the M a dedicated track car!

2011 E90///M3 | Space Grey | Fox Red | DCT | ZCP | Slicktop
APEX | BIMMERWORLD | COBY WHEEL | CORSA | H&R | MACHT SCHNELL | PEDALHAUS | RECARO
2014 F15 X5 | Space Grey | M-Sport
Jump to top M3ANMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-29-2012, 01:27:50 AM   #6
MatteBlkSoul76

In the garage:

United States

Un-f'ing-real. Let us know how you like it on the track.
Jump to top MatteBlkSoul76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-29-2012, 03:17:49 AM   #7
ken o

United States

Will your brake ducts connect to backing plates on the rotors?

2011 e92 M3 - Daily Driver, FS
2003 e46 M3 - TT3, XP
Jump to top ken o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-29-2012, 01:24:32 PM   #8
boostkid

In the garage:

United States

Awesome project, thanks for sharing.
94' Supra TT 6 Speed (Baltic Blue) SOLD
99' Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX SOLD
Jump to top boostkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-31-2012, 07:01:22 PM   #9
MasterC17

In the garage:

United States

Thank you for the comments everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg View Post
M Sgt. C-17s?
It basically means Master Chief and the 17 just rhymes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken o View Post
Will your brake ducts connect to backing plates on the rotors?
Currently, no. In the future, yes.
Old Fri, Apr-13-2012, 02:11:38 AM   #10
MasterC17

In the garage:

United States

And here is the car prepped for its first track day at NHMS tomorrow. Did the front and rear pads and rotors, Oil temp and pressure gauges and voltmeter, brake fluid flush, vanos filter, BW solid brake guides, Eibach Pro-Kit, GC RSM's, and a passenger harness, among a few other little things. Will report back with results.

P.S. Ordered some Euro headers.