BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Thu, Feb-16-2012, 08:21:59 PM   #1
PoBoyR6
Track Junkie

Canada

Default AIM SoloDL with E46 ECU harness

New to the forum and somewhat new to E46 M3s, have owned mine for about a year now although have been doing a lot of reading/researching here during that time getting it modded up to a dedicated NASA TTB car. Wanted my first contribution to be worthwhile:

I recently got the new AIM SoloDL from Richard at M-World http://www.m-world.us. I was his first SoloDL customer with an E46 and using my car as the guinea pig he developed a plug and play harness that directly attaches to the ECU for all the data channels and it doesn't require any cutting or splicing. Am very happy with the results now that I can get throttle, brake, steering angle, gear, clutch, wheel speeds, temps, and tons of other data that I can analyze over and above what you would get if you simply plugged the unit into the OBD connector. You can see in one of the pics that the cable coming from the ECU is easily tucked away behind the center console/carpet overlap.

The bracket over the air vent is where my old AIM MyChron lap timer used to go. I'm very happy to be moving into a GPS based timer, no more lugging around a tripod and lawnmower battery and ensuring the beacon/receiver can see each other...and forgetting to pack them up at the end of the weekend. Plus the predictive lap timing feature in the Solo/SoloDL is worth the price of admission all on its own. Getting instant feedback on the track to find out if you are slower/faster when you try a different line/approach is priceless. Non GPS lap timers are pointless IMHO nowadays.

As for what I plan to do with the data, I'm going to use my GoPro camera and overlay the pertinent data (revs/speed/gear/throttle/brake/track map/lap time, etc.) using Dashware software like some others that are already on YouTube. In terms of analysis, I'm pretty new to using the data to go faster so my plan is to get some pro driver coaching sessions and find out where my weak points are and then hopefully I'll be able to continue self analysis with the data once I get more familiar with it.

Looking forward to sharing my first track vid with data overlay from TWS in April!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2225 (4).jpg (90.4 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2228 (4).jpg (83.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2230 (4).jpg (108.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2232 (4).jpg (75.7 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by PoBoyR6; Thu, Feb-16-2012 at 08:35:54 PM.
Jump to top PoBoyR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Feb-16-2012, 08:43:26 PM   #2
djm3
CSL (finished) inside

In the garage:

Philippines

That's a nice setup. Looking forward to your vid.
Old Thu, Feb-16-2012, 08:50:11 PM   #3
PoBoyR6
Track Junkie

Canada

Default Re: AIM SoloDL with E46 ECU harness

Thanks. I can't wait either! I've been playing around with my data from the last NASA event at MSRH with Dashware to verify it works. I didn't have my GoPro mounted at the time so I just put the overlay on a test video. Lots of stuff to figure out and tinker with but Rolf with Dashware is very responsive and helpful and even makes custom gauges if you want them bad enough.
Old Thu, Feb-16-2012, 08:53:31 PM   #4
magnetic1

United States

Dont forget to add an oil pressure sender. The stock ECU doesnt provide the data..
VIR Sloppy GTS3 Record 2:04.3
2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
#121 GTS3 E46 M3 Build/Blog
2003 Avus Blue Individual M3 Street Mule
Jump to top magnetic1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-16-2012, 10:29:26 PM   #5
lmtfi

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoBoyR6 View Post

I was his first SoloDL customer with an E46 and using my car as the guinea pig he developed a plug and play harness that directly attaches to the ECU for all the data channels and it doesn't require any cutting or splicing.

Thanks for posting. Can you add any details on this M-World harness connection, where its physically done and what is involved in installing it?
Old Thu, Feb-16-2012, 11:14:07 PM   #6
SC_TR0JAN_M3

United States

i'm so tempted to pull the trigger on this soon. would love to start seeing some data on my runs.

Jump to top SC_TR0JAN_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-17-2012, 01:54:55 AM   #7
PoBoyR6
Track Junkie

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post
Thanks for posting. Can you add any details on this M-World harness connection, where its physically done and what is involved in installing it?
I was building brownie points for track time by taking care of the kids the weekend that Richard installed the harness, so I was in and out of the garage, but basically the harness uses OEM connectors to create a 3 way between the Solo DL, ECU and CAN network of the car. It goes from the ECU through an existing penetration in the bulkhead to get into the interior of the car. You just need to connect to the appropriate wires. Its all plug and play. No cutting or splicing. I'm very happy with that part.

Richard has all the details though, he was taking all kinds of pics to put together the installation instructions for the harness. You can always shoot him an email (info@m-world.us).
Old Fri, Feb-17-2012, 03:19:24 AM   #8
suss1173

In the garage:

United States

What will the dashware and harness cost
Jump to top suss1173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-17-2012, 04:04:37 AM   #9
lmtfi

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoBoyR6 View Post
I was building brownie points for track time by taking care of the kids the weekend that Richard installed the harness, so I was in and out of the garage, but basically the harness uses OEM connectors to create a 3 way between the Solo DL, ECU and CAN network of the car. It goes from the ECU through an existing penetration in the bulkhead to get into the interior of the car. You just need to connect to the appropriate wires. Its all plug and play. No cutting or splicing. I'm very happy with that part.

Richard has all the details though, he was taking all kinds of pics to put together the installation instructions for the harness. You can always shoot him an email (info@m-world.us).

Thanks - I will. So I take it that this connector intersection is buried somewhere in the dash?
Old Fri, Feb-17-2012, 01:02:16 PM   #10
PoBoyR6
Track Junkie

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss1173 View Post
What will the dashware and harness cost
M World harness is $150

http://www.m-world.us/aim_solo_dl_gp...ta_logger.html

Dashware is $50

http://www.dashware.net/

Last edited by PoBoyR6; Fri, Feb-17-2012 at 08:14:47 PM. Reason: Corrected price for harness