BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 12:21:32 AM   #1
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Default REVIEW|DYNO: SS V1 Stepped vs. SS V2 Stepped

INTRODUCTION
Many of us know that some of the most sought after headers for the S54B32 is the Supersprint Stepped Header. Supersprint's genius plan of starting with a narrow primary, then stepping up prior to the collectors in the headers were designed to optimize low-end torque and high-end power. Over the years, Supersprint designed two different variants. One that is compatible with the OEM Flanged Section 1 along with RHD E46 M3s, another that uses it's own 2.5" Slip On Section 1.

I purchased my SS V2 Stepped Header and CPI Euro200 from Jack at Custom Performance. Jack is an amazing guy, very knowledgable, and offers amazing products and prices on all your exhaust needs! Upon the installation of the perfectly fitting SS V2 Stepped Header and CPI Euro200, I could feel the drastic difference in power from stock. There was just much more power everywhere throughout the power band. All the typical flat spots in the power band were now gone and the car just pulled nice and smooth to redline. You could almost tangibly feel the car breathing better. When I got my SS V2 Stepped Headers, I chose to go with the CPI Euro200 to meet emissions requirements here in IL, along with decreasing the smell and rasp. The Section 1 utilizes two Magnaflow Metallic Race Cats that are 200cpsi. Overall, I was extremely pleased with the money spent and performance gain.

Fast forward many many months to Black Friday 2011. Jared at Supersprint NA announced an incredible sale on the SS V1 Stepped Header and V1 SPipe. In all honesty, this was the header for many years that I truly wanted. At the time that I committed to purchasing headers, my budget just didn't allow me to swing for these bad boys. Thanks to Supersprint's generosity and willingness to please our community, I had to take advantage of their great sale. Honestly, I was not really expecting any gains from making the switch. Everyone has told me that there really is not much to be gained from moving to catless and the bigger headers. Due to my stubbornness, I persisted and bit the bullet.

PHOTO COMPARISON
Supersprint V2 Stepped Headers

Well crafted collector. Notice how seamless everything is merged together.

~1.5" Primaries that step up to ~2" before meeting at the collector

Close up of collector and EGT bung. Notice the beautiful TIG welding.

Both Pre and Post Cat O2 Bungs and 2.36" outlet piping.

More Pre and Post Cat O2 Bungs

More fancy stepped goodness

Perfect flanges

Etched Supersprint shameless plug

Custom Performance Innovations Euro200

TIG welded flanges

MIG welded cats and O2 bungs

MIG welded cats and O2 bungs

SS V2 Stepped + CPI Euro200

Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers

Primaries with incredibly TIG welds

~1.5" stepped up to ~2"

Sexy collector and welds

Full 2.5" outlet flange!!

Internal portion of Post Cat O2 sensor

SS V1 Stepped vs SS V2 Stepped

2.36" vs 2.5"

Notice the different pathways

2.36" vs 2.5"

Slip On vs OEM style

Massive full 2.5" piping for SS V1 SPipe

Post Cat O2 Sensor

VIDEO

PERSONAL REVIEW
As I noted before, I was not really expecting to feel an incredible difference between the two. I thought the Magnaflow cats flow very well, the V2 Stepped is already a great design, and the V1 Stepped has been said to provide minimal gains over the V2 Stepped.

Upon installation, I noticed that smell of exhaust fumes has increased, but it wasn't as bad as people said. Maybe my sense of smell isn't as sensitive, but I really don't notice it in the car with the windows up and in traffic. It is definitely noticeable on cold start in the garage first thing in the winter morning though.

Sound wise, not too much different either. I was expecting a ton of more rasp. Nope, didn't notice much of a difference. The tone was slightly different, almost a crisper more refined type of rasp with the V1 Stepped Headers. Personally, I actually enjoy it more with it being catless. The volume is no louder either, no more drone than stock. Overall, I am very happy with the sound of the car. It's soft, quiet, and not terribly raspy.

Driving impressions, there is a tangible difference between the two for sure. The biggest difference that I could feel was just how hard it pulls to redline. I really kept telling myself that it must be adrenaline or the placebo effect. So I just kept driving it and driving it and driving it and I still noticed the difference. It pulls great at the very end and doesn't seem to run out of steam. When moving to the bigger piping and losing cats, I was expecting to experience a drop in low range power and torque. In the SS V1 Stepped system, I honestly did not feel any loss in power anywhere throughout the power band. Quite the contrary, I actually felt not just a nice pull on the top end, but a big push in the low-mid range. I know it goes against many conventional theories, but I felt a nice increase in power and torque.

Overall, I am very pleased with the upgrade to the SS V1 Stepped Header and V1 SPipe. It was worth the annoying removal and installation of all headers. It was worth waiting months for them and shipping out my prior setup. I am very happy I came full circle and ended up with the headers that I originally wanted.

NOTES
I will be the first to admit that this is not a true apples to apples comparison. Primarily because my dynos with the SS V2 Stepped Headers included the CPI Euro200. Whether the Euro200 robs power or increases low end power/torque...I don't know. In addition, the dyno runs were done on two different days weeks apart. Weather conditions were ever so slightly different, mainly the drastic drop in humidity. I truthfully don't know if that will effect power or not. So please take this review and dyno results with a grain of salt. All I can guarantee is that either setup is well worth the money to me. The car pulls so hard down low and screams all the way to the top of redline.

DYNOS
2002 BMW M3
Dynojet 248X at Dean's Peformance, St. Charles, IL
4th Gear | 93 OCT

SAE

CONDITIONS

UNCORRECTED

DYNO ANALYSIS
Please notice the big low end gains in torque compared to stock. The SS V2 Stepped and SS V1 Stepped both provide substantial gains that is no doubt felt on the street.

Please notice the big top end gains in power compared to stock. In both setups, it is very noticeable. This was reassuring considering that I felt a lot of gains from the V1 Stepped up top.

I am just happy that the driving experience is exponentially improved. That is what matters more than having the bragging rights of highest dyno numbers. I can't wait for this coming track season to really push the car and let it scream!

I hope you all enjoyed the review and find it helpful for your decision in the future.

2004 E46 M3 6MT | Silver Grey . Cloth | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My E90 M3 Build Thread
2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | White . Black | Coming Soon

POST YOUR DYNO GRAPH HERE: The Official Dyno Thread

Last edited by flipm3; Sat, Jan-12-2013 at 04:57:43 PM.
Jump to top flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 12:29:12 AM   #2
TMS951

United States

Default Re: REVIEW|DYNO: SS V1 Stepped vs. SS V2 Stepped

It is very interesting to see the drastic difference in the individual runner on the V1 vs. V2. I had always thought the only difference between the two was the flange vs. larger slip fit after the merge.

I have V2s, I kind of wish I had the V1s now. But looking at your dyno"s I feel I got a better value withe the SS V2 stepped header and Borla V2 mid pipe set up.

01 M3- ESS VT2-575 - Stoptech 355 - VAC stage 3 Engine - K&W - CCW + O.Z. - much much more...
Jump to top TMS951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 12:29:21 AM   #3
PerkM3

United States

Awesome comparison and write up man. I think for someone that is looking for that absolute max hp/tq then you've obviously shown that the V1's out perform the V2's. Thanks for doing this and putting this together.
Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 12:29:27 AM   #4
Abad46

In the garage:

United States

Alex,

Great job on the thorough review! My question is; are these pre-tune numbers?

If so, when is the tune going in? Or are you waiting for the airbox?

Again, great job for the community, we appreciate it!
Jump to top Abad46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 12:36:36 AM   #5
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
It is very interesting to see the drastic difference in the individual runner on the V1 vs. V2. I had always thought the only difference between the two was the flange vs. larger slip fit after the merge.

I have V2s, I kind of wish I had the V1s now. But looking at your dyno"s I feel I got a better value withe the SS V2 stepped header and Borla V2 mid pipe set up.
The SS V2 Stepped Headers may be a better value, but with the Black Friday Sale, it was just a win win situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
Awesome comparison and write up man. I think for someone that is looking for that absolute max hp/tq then you've obviously shown that the V1's out perform the V2's. Thanks for doing this and putting this together.
Thanks man! Just trying to share information with the community regardless of the results. It's a lot of work, but it's part of the fun.

I can't wait to start doing suspension and track analysis this summer! Maybe you can teach me the ropes around Heartland if I can make it one weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abad46 View Post
Alex,

Great job on the thorough review! My question is; are these pre-tune numbers?

If so, when is the tune going in? Or are you waiting for the airbox?

Again, great job for the community, we appreciate it!
What's going on buddy! I was hoping you could make it at the dyno session today. These are both pre-tune numbers.

The next dyno run will be with the CF Airbox most likely. I told Hans I might return if I throw in the under drive pullies, but I am kind of waiting to install those until I revamp my cooling system.

2004 E46 M3 6MT | Silver Grey . Cloth | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My E90 M3 Build Thread
2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | White . Black | Coming Soon

POST YOUR DYNO GRAPH HERE: The Official Dyno Thread
Jump to top flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 12:41:01 AM   #6
///M_Achilles
"Visor down for business"

In the garage:

Philippines

Kudos for the excellent write up man a fun read

Jump to top ///M_Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 12:49:47 AM   #7
Project E46M3
Go big or go home...

In the garage:

United States

Nice review...the v1's clearly provdie more mid and upper range power.With the larger 2.5" exit on the v1's an FI car will gain a ton more power up top.

BTW, the v2 headers cost wayyyyy more than the v1 headers now. SuperSprint Corporate messed up big time on the original pricing of the headers. They make no sense to buy at this point. I dont understand the point of even going with v2's? You can easily get the v1 section 1 pipes have have cats installed.

I placed an order on the SS stepped v1 w/ sec 1 but now I see those Epic headers...and ohhhhh boy! LOL Those headers with my SS race muffler will be nuts!!! I need that Evolve airbox too but I will wait to you or someone else does a review with dyno charts. LOL
Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 12:57:06 AM   #8
Mr. Black
Registered Drug User

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project E46M3 View Post
I placed an order on the SS stepped v1 w/ sec 1 but now I see those Epic headers...and ohhhhh boy! LOL Those headers with my SS race muffler will be nuts!!! I need that Evolve airbox too but I will wait to you or someone else does a review with dyno charts. LOL
Just an FYI, the epic headers are going to be equal length headers

I was on the phone to Jack last week and I'm just waiting on the V1's to be built. I can't wait to get these on my car.

OP, what are you running for section 2 and muffler? Considering the size difference with the V1's, I'm looking at having a custom 2 1/2 twin pipe and muffler made for my car to equalize exhaust flow. Currently I'm running the OEM mids but they're closer to 2.1 and are 'D' shaped. Not really a good setup with 2 1/2 headers
Jump to top Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 01:04:05 AM   #9
enigmaticdream

In the garage:

United States

Great review Alex! This is making me want to throw on my V1s now haha. 296 pre-tuned...dang...I can't wait to see this with CF airbox and tune...

I'm surprised the V1 did better than the V2 in terms of torque. I thought that V2 were supposed to have better low end and sacrificed top end for it. It doesn't look like it based on the dynos.

1987 325is Delphin/Schwartz
1988 M3 Zinno/Natur
2007 335i Silver/Silver
Jump to top enigmaticdream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 01:11:27 AM   #10
gojcaj
Cool like a fool in a swimming pool

Albania

Flip, thanks for the thorough comparison. I too was comparing both sets and am grateful for this information. Glad it worked out for the best

Sold
O|||||||O - 2014 Jeep JKURX
Jump to top gojcaj is offline   Reply With Quote