BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Place to discuss sights and sounds.

Old Tue, Jan-17-2012, 04:29:41 PM   #1
R10_Telemetry

Monaco

Default Need DIY, how to add new circuit to fuse panel and retain OEM look/functionality

I figure you ICE folks know this better than anyone else. After reading the following post, I decided I want to use this method instead of splice into my existing wiring:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
You can grab a 12V constant and 12V triggered right from the few empty slots on the fuse panel in the glove box for options you don't have.
I'd like to verify with you guys which part to plug into the empty slots (connector noted below) so I can add a new circuit. I didn't find any DIYs for this using the search button although I did see this post, which prompted me to look for the part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertyoke View Post
I went through the rubber grommets that are just below the glove box. as for the power i got the stock connectors (dealer) for the fuse box and added a circuit. the fuse box has the one rail that is a supply line constant power and one that is key on power, you can just check with a volt meter or test light. put a wire on the connector, pop it into the fuse box and add a fuse, youre good to go!
I also found this image indicating the switched vs constant 12V rail:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/855...it1copyzy9.jpg

I found this kit for sale from ECS but want to avoid using it since it's not the cleanest method and I'd have wires coming out of the front of the fuse panel:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-...nic/ES1906431/

Here is additional fuse detail from NikolaiD:

http://www.chitownm.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4284

Any assistance is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by R10_Telemetry; Sat, Jan-21-2012 at 10:14:00 PM.
Jump to top R10_Telemetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-17-2012, 04:57:00 PM   #2
toy4to
Lemonade Tycoon

Canada

Default Re: Need DIY, how to add new circuit to fuse panel and retain OEM look/functionality

The 'add a circuit' from ECS tuning is all you need. You can pick up one of those locally from any auto parts store.
Jump to top toy4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-17-2012, 05:04:25 PM   #3
R10_Telemetry

Monaco

Default Re: Need DIY, how to add new circuit to fuse panel and retain OEM look/functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4to View Post
The 'add a circuit' from ECS tuning is all you need. You can pick up one of those locally from any auto parts store.
Thanks, however I'm looking for guidance on how to do this correctly with OEM parts so that I don't have to resort to using this "add a circuit" kit. I want to avoid using it since I'd have wires coming out of the front of the fuse panel and it doesn't look OEM.

Last edited by R10_Telemetry; Tue, Jan-17-2012 at 09:51:32 PM.
Old Sat, Jan-21-2012, 05:02:41 PM   #4
NikolaiD

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by R10_Telemetry View Post
I'd like to verify with you guys which part to plug into the empty slots so I can add a new circuit. I found this on realoem - is this correct? Fuse carrier p/n 12521740555:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=15&hl=5

I'm hoping it's as easy as plugging one of these carriers into the fuse rail and then connecting the wire and installing a new fuse. I didn't find any DIYs for this using the search button although I did see this post, which prompted me to look for the part:
Just FYI, that fuse carrier goes by the DME, I have a picture of it here:

MSS54 Error Codes
(work in progress)
Jump to top NikolaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-22-2012, 01:15:18 PM   #5
R10_Telemetry

Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiD View Post
Just FYI, that fuse carrier goes by the DME, I have a picture of it here:
Thanks for the info! Now I know that's definitely NOT the part I need. Do you know what the part # is for the connector that plugs into the back of the fuse panel?

Here's an example of what the 'add a circuit' looks like, based on an installation in an e93 - not very clean:
Attached Images
File Type: gif tap.gif (97.0 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by R10_Telemetry; Sun, Jan-22-2012 at 02:39:29 PM.
Old Mon, Jan-23-2012, 02:15:46 AM   #6
Cazz
High plains drifter

In the garage:

United States

I think you want to get a leaf spring contact to plug into the back of fuse box.

Here is an example: link

Part diagram: here

I believe the example uses #2 (1.0mm)
Part number: 61 13 0 007 439

Jump to top Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-23-2012, 03:29:53 AM   #7
R10_Telemetry

Monaco

@Cazz - thanks, that's what I needed!