BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Car Care and Detailing
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Car Care and Detailing Place to discuss keeping your M looking its best.

Old Sun, May-08-2011, 10:08:22 AM   #1
DontRevMe
///Pretentious

United States

Default Hard time with e36 clear coat

Im having a hell of a time correcting my clear, i dont have much experience but ive done all the research i can. Heres the list of products i have.

PC 7424XP
Lake country pads (yellow, orange, green, blue, black)
m105
megs UC
megs swirl X
nxt 2.0

My drivers door has some pretty deep swirls (probably never polished), and while ive made some spotty improvements, im not getting anywhere fast. Ive made many many passes with every combo i can think of, various pressures, high speeds, etc.

Has anyone had problems with these cars? I dont have the exp to run a rotary nor do i want to buy one, and i dont think im going to hire a true detailer for just a door, lol. Like i said, some spots do look pretty clear, but others are just flat out stubborn.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
Aim - DontRevMe
Jump to top DontRevMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, May-08-2011, 10:10:28 AM   #2
DontRevMe
///Pretentious

United States

Default Re: Hard time with e36 clear coat

Most of the door looks like this

Ive had some success in getting various areas looking like this, but im talking hours of passes.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
Aim - DontRevMe
Old Sun, May-08-2011, 03:47:09 PM   #3
mikenap

United States

A little more info would help. What size pads and backing plate are you using? Are your pads the LC CCS pads or the flat pads? Have you primed the pads before using M105?

http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine...d-priming.html

Priming pads goes a LONG way when you're using a machine like the PCXP. Also, I wouldn't recommend any pads larger than 5.5" since the XP bogs down pretty easily. A machine like the Griot's Garage polisher is MUCH stronger and can move the bigger pads, but the XP is too weak to be effective with large pads. Another thing to note is some E36s were known for having pretty hard clear coats, and this could be your issue too.

Give us some more info and we can point you in the right direction.
Old Sun, May-08-2011, 07:02:05 PM   #4
DontRevMe
///Pretentious

United States

sorry, 5.5 ccs pads, ive done a bit of reading about the "kevin brown method" and ive been priming the pads the way i understand that method.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
Aim - DontRevMe
Old Sun, May-08-2011, 07:53:45 PM   #5
///MTechnik
No Gods -- No Masters.

United States

How fast are you moving the machine across the surface? Some people tend to move way to fast. Since the PC has no forced rotation it requires more time to get to the same level of correction that could be done in half the time with something like the flex. It should take a good bit of time to finish a 1.5x1.5 foot area doing a cross hatched pattern.
Old Sun, May-08-2011, 08:03:02 PM   #6
DontRevMe
///Pretentious

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MTechnik View Post
How fast are you moving the machine across the surface? Some people tend to move way to fast. Since the PC has no forced rotation it requires more time to get to the same level of correction that could be done in half the time with something like the flex. It should take a good bit of time to finish a 1.5x1.5 foot area doing a cross hatched pattern.
Ive been careful to only move about an inch and even less per second, the backing plate is marked so i can track rotation, etc.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
Aim - DontRevMe
Old Sun, May-08-2011, 08:35:12 PM   #7
///MTechnik
No Gods -- No Masters.

United States

hmmm... It's hard to give you advice without seeing your technique in action. Try watching this video series and see if you can't figure out something your doing wrong. Also I would consider giving the Adam's products in these videos a try. I used Meguires products for a long time and have recently started using Adam's. I have been blown away to say the least. Every product is at least 10x better than what I expect...
http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2386
Old Mon, May-09-2011, 02:58:49 AM   #8
DontRevMe
///Pretentious

United States

Im starting to come to the conclusion that these arent swirls im trying to fix, but more like imprints from constant drive through car washes from the prev owner. I dont see anything less than wet sanding cleaning it up. So, i cleaned it as best i could, few coats of wax, and there's depth and clarity, just not mirror like when you're up close. Im just going to accept this for now till i can wetsand or respray.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
Aim - DontRevMe
Old Mon, May-09-2011, 04:13:44 AM   #9
///MTechnik
No Gods -- No Masters.

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRevMe View Post
Im starting to come to the conclusion that these arent swirls im trying to fix, but more like imprints from constant drive through car washes from the prev owner. I dont see anything less than wet sanding cleaning it up. So, i cleaned it as best i could, few coats of wax, and there's depth and clarity, just not mirror like when you're up close. Im just going to accept this for now till i can wetsand or respray.
From your pictures above I can tell you those are swirls... BMW clear coat is fairly hard iirc so it does require some effort... Wet sanding is gonna be way overkill and your wasting your money on a respray. Take some time, regroup, consider different products, and double check you technique. Thats the biggest thing. You can gave all the best product and get squat with improper technique. I assume you watched the videos I linked to before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon, May-09-2011, 05:09:20 AM   #10
DontRevMe
///Pretentious

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MTechnik View Post
From your pictures above I can tell you those are swirls... BMW clear coat is fairly hard iirc so it does require some effort... Wet sanding is gonna be way overkill and your wasting your money on a respray. Take some time, regroup, consider different products, and double check you technique. Thats the biggest thing. You can gave all the best product and get squat with improper technique. I assume you watched the videos I linked to before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry i didnt reply to your prev post, i have seen those videos and many others. Im not sure if perhaps the door panel has been sealed or repainted or what, but its just not correcting as easily as the rest of the car. Ill TRY to get better photos of what im talking about, but in person it looks more like an imprint than a scratch, hard to explain i suppose.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
Aim - DontRevMe