BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Other BMW M Models > M Coupe/Roadster (1997-2002, 2006-200?)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Old Sun, May-15-2011, 12:22:15 PM   #11
Shipkiller

United States

Default Re: I made the switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Actually, I'm curious about the license plate holder, as it doesn't require drilling the bumper. What kind is that?
Thats the Skeen Design Plate holder. I have the same one. It mounts under the lip so the front of the bumper stays clean.

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

"The reality is that the line between a butt-puckering near-miss and a life-altering event is absolutely razor thin. We put ourselves in a
thousand potentially disastrous situations during every lap around the track. Our brains and our bodies are constantly dealing with a flood of
sensory input and making decisions and adjustments in real time.
In many ways, that's what makes the sport so appealing. That intense level of physical and mental concentration, much like a "runner's high,"
is a powerful narcotic that sinks its hooks into our brains from the moment we clip that first perfect apex."

2008 Z4M Coupe'

VIR, NCCAR, Summit Point, CMP, Spartenburg
Jump to top Shipkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, May-16-2011, 09:20:27 PM   #12
Jumbosock

United States

It does require two screw holes on the underside of the bumper cover.
Old Thu, May-19-2011, 12:35:28 AM   #13
fitchesbass
I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it

United States

my holder:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520061
Old Sat, May-21-2011, 01:53:52 AM   #14
Jumbosock

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
Thanks a decent option. I personally am not a fan of the license plate being off center. It seems to bring more attention to the license plate.
Old Mon, May-23-2011, 04:48:21 AM   #15
fitchesbass
I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it

United States

looks a helluva lot better than this on the Z4 imo. Not to mention drilling holes into the bumper. My problem the center mount aesthetically with the Z4 is that the US license plate is longer than the bumper trim in the center of the car so it looks really weird.

Lots of tow hook holders offer easier removal when you want to and get rid of that weirdness to me.

GL.

Example of how the license plate is longer than the bumper (my car when I had the OEM mount)

vs.

daily driving mode (I can remove the front license for car meets or whatever in less than a minute)

or 16 other mounting positions with the mount I use

Last edited by fitchesbass; Mon, May-23-2011 at 04:53:06 AM.
Jump to top fitchesbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-23-2011, 04:40:03 PM   #16
PhotoEd

In the garage:

United States

Now that the OP has a few miles under his belt, I was hoping for a review of M3 vs. M?
Jump to top PhotoEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-24-2011, 07:40:10 PM   #17
Kalahari

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoEd View Post
Now that the OP has a few miles under his belt, I was hoping for a review of M3 vs. M?
+1....I'm very curious to hear a comparison.
Jump to top Kalahari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-16-2011, 05:44:33 AM   #18
Jumbosock

United States

I haven't really sat down to write something but I can write a few things now. First off, it's hard to make a direct comparison because I had an SMG. But with that said I was impressed how much harder the M coupe pulls at higher speeds. It's definitely faster than my M3 with euro exhaust. It got to 158mph way easier than the M3 on a test track somewhere in Mexico. Didn't think the weight would make that much difference. Or my M3 was a bit weak! M3 had 63K miles and M Coupe has 43K.

I thought about it more... maye it's the difference in aerodynamics that helps it feel so much stronger at faster speeds than my deceased M3.

The sound is very different. The stock exhaust setup has no rasp at all. It has a cool growl to it. It's not loud enough, though... but pretty cool sound.

The handling is much tighter than the M3. I am much more on rails than with my m3. I had only upgraded to Koni yellows and Power Flex RTAB in the M3. I haven't really pushed the car to it's limits on turns so I cannot tell you of any oversteer or understeer. I suspect it oversteers. I've been a wus on corners so sorry.

The seats are tiresome for long drives. The M3 has a better headrest. The M Coupe has a one piece back rest that doesn't allow for good head support. I went on a semi long drive when I was tired and I had to throw a jacket behind my head for support. I am no wus either. I suspect the M Coupe backrest might be better suited if one was wearing a helmet but I don't track.

Visibility is much poorer than the M3 but I try to make it work. The other day I cut off a car by accident and that is something I'd never do in the M3.

The steering wheel is much thicker in the M coupe. It really makes for a better feel. The steering ratio is also tighter so the car responds quicker. This took some getting used to. It forces you to pay attention when you drive... which is not necessarily a bad thing.

The M Coupe in stock form is much lower than the M and is easy to bottom out... both front nose and back mufflers.

Chasis feels very tight!!

Stereo is pretty bad. I have the Nav... not sure which radio version as there are two and I haven't memorized it. It is in BAD need of bass!

Sleeping in the car is extremely uncomfortable. On my tired long drive I pulled over for a nap and since the seat only goes back 25 or so degrees it was a tough 2 hour nap. Oh well it's not really made for that but emergency naps are really difficult.

Overall it's tough having this as an only car. The lack of back seats and small trunk really makes you also want an SUV.

I love the car. I love that it's rare and it's looks are stunning from almost every angle. I put on CSL rims so that helped the OK rims. I added a front 10mm spacer. No need for a spacer in the back. When looking at the car there is an angle I don't like from the front... makes the nose look odd. I may change to a customized Hamann front bumper lid. I get WAY more looks in this car than the M3! People rarely know what it is.

Sorry for the poor review but I hope this helps!

Oh and gas mileage is prob a couple miles worse.

Last edited by Jumbosock; Sat, Sep-17-2011 at 07:03:34 PM.
Jump to top Jumbosock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-21-2011, 12:45:16 PM   #19
PhotoEd

In the garage:

United States

Great write up and exactly the details I was looking for!
Thanks!

Jump to top PhotoEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-22-2011, 08:38:33 AM   #20
daffyduck
fapper founder

Isle of Man

nice writeup jumbo. i also made 'the switch'. for the most part, your sentiments are pretty much on par with mine.

here are my original thoughts when i bought the car:

the ZCP was my first experience with the S54. i fell in love with the motor and aside from the occasional jerky 1-2nd shift sans cdv mod, it was the best tranny (6MT) motor feel i've ever experienced.

God's engine aside, as 10 put it, everything else about the ZCP was perfect and i would have kept it if it weren't for other financial obligations last year. you can't argue with rear seats and enough room to throw my snowboard and gear in and drive up to the mountain in the winter. steering feel was phenomenal, but got a little iffy with turn in on bumpy roads. i'll blame that on the 19" ZCP's. and most of you know it's a tail happy car with DSC off and very maneuverable. i've showed up at drift days where everybody around me is in a 240 looking at me like lolwut.

the z4mc. jeebus this thing is gorgeous in coupe form and pictures don't do it justice for the road presence it has in person. on the drive back form seattle i had a bunch of people ask me wtf it even was while i was gassing up. i've only had it for a week and on a couple occasions noticed from a distance people taking pics with their camera phones. enough about looks -everyone knows it looks wonderfully odd.

i don't plan on getting pregnant and am single for the foreseeable future, so the lack of a back seat doesn't bother me. the allotted trunk space is enough for me, but i'll be kicking myself come winter when i'll have to find other means to make it up to the mountain to board.

i'm not sure if it's because i was numbed by the lack luster ownership experience with an audi a5, or my ears are telling the truth... but yea this motor screams and has a bolder note than i remember in the ZCP. i never made up my mind about rasp when i had the ZCP. the z4mc has no rasp and fuk it's a beautiful sound - albeit tamed in stock form. (ssrace or eldiablo ...can't decide). it's lighter and butt dyno is proud to report it feels quicker in every way. there's something to be said about the rigidity you immediately feel in this car. (something along the lines of 32000nm torsional rigidity which is pretty outrageous). all that makes for chub inducing handling.

I LOVE THE STEERING WHEEL. fukking fat steering wheel and significantly more connected feel to the road than with the zcp - again it could have been the 19's and terribad pennsylvania roads. 18"s and dunlop direzzas = love and the latter being the reason i'm not drifting yet. i never felt bad tearing up p-zero's down to the belts. i love the direzzas too much, so until i'm down to 2/32nds, there will be no vids of me crashing into a pole.

apparently i have the premium carver stereo option. even with dsp settings tweaked, i hate the sound. let's see...cup holders are much more convenient than the center console bs in the ZCP which gets in the way of shifting. slight issue most people would have with the car is visibility. you won't find much rear visibility so you have to make the most of side/rear view mirrors and what little rear/quarter view there is. nbd. the bonnet is long and takes some getting used to.

that's about it. i'll say that this love affair would never have come to pass if there was no s54 up front.

cheers

i've already managed to break both the cup holders. my dad broke the passenger side cupholder in my first week of ownership. valet broke the driver's side this past weekend. (they're assuming the cost - $51)