BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Feb-12-2011, 12:15:56 AM   #1
MalikSaab

In the garage:

United States

Default My 2003 BMW m3 smg wont start

I have a 2003 M3 smg its not starting. I thought it was a fuel pump i changed it out with the fuel pump i had laying around. I turn the ignition on and i hear it humming for 30 sec ( i hear when it does this fuel pump is working.). So fuel pump is working but still not fully starting. I hear fuel relays go bad but i dont know. Its cranking but not firing up. Before i throw money away i need to know the problem or possible problems. I hear with a gt1 scanner you can find out the exact codes. Anyone with a good scanner or can give me good expertise on this problem. Or anybody can help me out or so. If so please message or call me 404-573-2829. Im looking to have it done by tomorrow I wanna have this car cranked asap. If you need to be compensated for your time and gas ill do so.
Jump to top MalikSaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Feb-12-2011, 12:16:44 AM   #2
deadlysyns

United States

Default Re: My 2003 BMW m3 smg wont start

battery?
Old Sat, Feb-12-2011, 12:55:59 AM   #3
MalikSaab

In the garage:

United States

I had the battery checked and it was good so i had it charged
Old Sat, Feb-12-2011, 01:38:15 AM   #4
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Did you hear the smg pump prime when you unlock the doors?

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Jump to top yaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-12-2011, 01:53:00 AM   #5
johnm_oz

Australia

Car's cranking, it's highly unlikely to be battery and nothing to do with gearbox.

Fuel or ignition. Ignition is pretty much bombproof insofar as any failures are more likely to cause rough running rather than no start, unless it's a key/ transponder problem, but I don't think it'd even crank if this was the case.

Are you sure what you can hear is the fuel pump running, there are other pumps and buzzy things it could be? Fuelpump relay would be a good random guess as they do fail, but the most accurate and least expensive in terms of replacing good bits just on spec is to get the error codes read. Can you borrow a scanner, or maybe this'd be a good time to invest in one?

Cheers
JM
Jump to top johnm_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-12-2011, 04:14:43 AM   #6
MalikSaab

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm_oz View Post
Car's cranking, it's highly unlikely to be battery and nothing to do with gearbox.

Fuel or ignition. Ignition is pretty much bombproof insofar as any failures are more likely to cause rough running rather than no start, unless it's a key/ transponder problem, but I don't think it'd even crank if this was the case.

Are you sure what you can hear is the fuel pump running, there are other pumps and buzzy things it could be? Fuelpump relay would be a good random guess as they do fail, but the most accurate and least expensive in terms of replacing good bits just on spec is to get the error codes read. Can you borrow a scanner, or maybe this'd be a good time to invest in one?

Cheers
JM
You have a good point sir. I believe its somewhere ignition electrical but i cant find it. Im gonna try the fuel relay. Also im gonna get hold of a scanner so i dont waste money on unnecessary parts. If you could could you show me a link of a good scanner. thanks
Old Sat, Feb-12-2011, 04:15:51 AM   #7
MalikSaab

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm_oz View Post

Cheers
JM
Also i hear the fuel pump hum when i turn the key to on
Old Sat, Feb-12-2011, 08:00:04 AM   #8
johnm_oz

Australia

But are you sure it's the fuel pump? Amongst other things there's an auxiliary airpump that runs when the key's turned on...

As far as scanners go, there's a huge range from cheep and cheerful to rather more expensive but shirtloads more useful. Best thing is to do a forum search or get Google working for you. I think someone on here did a good comparison of the various options in car management software a while ago.

Cheers
JM
Jump to top johnm_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-12-2011, 07:31:31 PM   #9
MalikSaab

In the garage:

United States

I swapped fuel relay and horn relay not much of a difference
Old Sun, Feb-13-2011, 09:26:33 PM   #10
MalikSaab

In the garage:

United States

Good news shes cranks now finally. I just had the battery recharged and gave it a shot. I stomped the gas to the fullest and she fired up. But it skips like hell and i have to push the gas if i let go it cuts off after a few seconds or so any suggestions. The ses is on and the yello light with the exclamation mark and circle is on. Suggestions