BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Jan-29-2011, 05:40:38 PM   #1
EXQUZ M3
M Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Default DIY: E36 budget SQ stereo-system installation

The budget started out as less than $1000 - and it looks like I am going to be able to conform - barely. For a while there, I was expecting that I could do it for under $750, but that changed with the addition of nice cables and discrete amplification. The $1000 budget includes all of the materials necessary to do a quality (but not show-quality) installation in my 1995 M3.

There is a related thread to this one (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=348799), where I asked for, and received, some great advice from other members before making purchase. I really recommend asking the advice those with experience before purchasing - while I thought I knew what I was going to buy, I am glad that I asked because some very good ideas were brought up and, in some cases, I changed my mind.

What is my experience level?: Well, I've been doing my own basic stereo upgrades for almost 20 years (deck, speakers, amp, sub), and at one time competed in IASCA in Washington State while I was in the military. I apprenticed at a car stereo shop for about a year because I thought it is what I wanted to do when I got out of the military (and I got to make an employee purchase!). I am so glad that I did so, because I found out that it was not how I want to make my living. Am I great? No way. Am I good --- well, I can impress those that don't know much. I have only done custom fiberglass fabrication once as well as helping others on different occasions - and I remember some of the techniques. I have also been doing some reading up on the internet about new techniques for DIY fabrication. Most importantly, I understand 12 volt electronics and amp loading. I recommend before anybody embarks on a stereo in their car to research the basics and be very comfortable about wiring; you can destroy some very expensive equipment very quickly if you don't know what you're doing.

Here is the plan, and I start today --- hopefully I can get some pictures up shortly.

Equipment:
Total Equipment cost - but $700 (note: all of this stuff was either on sale or last year's model on Amazon.com)
... add $100 at Lowe's for supplies to do the kickpanels.
... add $30 for misc fabric and other goodies.
... add $15 for grille cloth and other accessories from parts express.

Installation design:
Goals: Simple, stealth, lightweight, and that which cannot be lightweight should be easily removable at the track (sub enclosure). This is a track car and daily driver - I MUST not lose that focus!

Front Speakers: The Soundstream separates are going to be run off discrete channels so that I don't have to use the passive crossovers. I was conflicted about how to do the speakers in the kickpanels:

I have chosen to go the on-axis route. Additionally, I am going to put the tweeters in the kick panels as well. Nearly $100 in supplies from the local fabric store, Lowe's and Michael's --- more than the separates themselves cost.

Amplifier / Processor: Not really clear on where this is going yet. Considered mounting it upside down under the rear desk, or maybe even right-side up with an air gap and fans. Regardless, I need to be able to access the controls on the end cap, so that may dictate the installation location more than I want. Since quick removal of the amplifier is not feasible - the installation will need to be done with light weight materials.

Rear Speakers: Removing them.

Sub: This is going to be the fun part. The sub will work well in a bandpass enclosure of about .75 cu.ft. per chamber netting a gain of about 3.4db on a range of 29-80Hz. Getting the ports aligned with the stock rear speaker locations is definitely a goal --- but I don't really know the feasibility of this yet while still making the enclosure removable. I have some ideas in mind, but they are too unrefined to try to explain them.

Other: I picked up some "Peel and Seal" from Lowe's and will be deadening panels with this stuff instead of the expensive Dynamat. I have heard mixed reviews, but for $16 it was worth a shot.

Pics coming soon.
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster
2010 Mini Cooper S (Camden Edition)

Last edited by EXQUZ M3; Thu, Feb-24-2011 at 03:01:13 AM.
Jump to top EXQUZ M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-29-2011, 06:58:01 PM   #2
12vElectronics

United States

Default Re: DIY: E36 budget SQ stereo-system installation

Finally getting er done eh? Hope to see many pictures!
1999 M3 Alpine White/Mulberry- Sold
Jump to top 12vElectronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-29-2011, 07:11:57 PM   #3
propchef
Toodle-oo Motherf**kers

In the garage:

United States

FYI: The Soundstream and Clarion links aren't working (for me at least).

Looks like a great project.
Old Sat, Jan-29-2011, 08:31:54 PM   #4
Kross

In the garage:

United States

Sub'd

Good Luck!
Jump to top Kross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-29-2011, 10:18:13 PM   #5
EXQUZ M3
M Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
FYI: The Soundstream and Clarion links aren't working (for me at least).

Looks like a great project.
Thanks --- fixed the links.
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Old Sat, Jan-29-2011, 10:27:59 PM   #6
EXQUZ M3
M Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Part 1: Fabrication of the kickpanel pods for the Soundstream separates.

Recessing the speakers into the baffle. Note the very cool tool for the router allowing me to cut perfect circles.

Finished cutting the 6.5" holes.

Making sure the speakers fit good 'n snug before wasting time cutting the rest out.

Leaving a 7/8" border around the speakers for grille to attach. (Probably overkill - but I have seen issues with this being too narrow and the grille not have enough meat to stay in tact after being kicked a few times.)

The finished baffle.

Cut a 1/2 plywood piece the same size that will be used as the grille. Clamped them together to sand them to be the exact same size.

Stapled 1-3/4" wide matt board around the perimeter to allow the grill to be recessed fit when finished. Also left a small lip on the bottom to give the dowel's something to lean against.

The passenger side preliminary fitment.

The driver's side preliminary fitment.

Waiting for the superglue to dry on the initial dowel placements - after that I can mock them up inside the car to make sure the angle is correct and that clutch still has plenty of room.
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Last edited by EXQUZ M3; Sat, Jan-29-2011 at 10:32:03 PM.
Old Sun, Jan-30-2011, 12:23:08 AM   #7
EXQUZ M3
M Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

As I had expected, those preliminary fitments were not going to work. What I had to do was to dremel into kickpanel to recess the entire baffle assembly more. This reduces the protrusion [into the cabin] by about 2" and not only gives more room for the clutch, but it also looks much better.

I am very excited about the angle I was able to get on the baffle and think that it will do exactly what is necessary to give a nice sound stage.

Currently I am waiting for the adhesive to dry so that the baffle is secure on the kickpanel before beginning the cloth stretching. Here is how I am leaving the project for the evening:

Test fitment of the passenger side kickpanel:

Both of the kickpanels after test fitement. Adhesive in place so that hopefully I can stretch cloth tomorrow morning and make more progress than I did today.
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Last edited by EXQUZ M3; Sun, Jan-30-2011 at 12:44:03 AM.
Old Sun, Jan-30-2011, 07:59:46 AM   #8
Braymond141

United States

I understand the work involved with this... but I cannot stand how much this type of modification ruins the interior.

Meh.

Central California BMW Parts Swap
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526941747526167/
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-30-2011, 11:23:24 AM   #9
pbonsalb

Many of us customize our cars, whether through colors and options or aftermarket mods, that do not suit others. I certainly would not miss the cheap plastic factory grilles down in the footwell, and added an aftermarket headunit to my own E36M3. I think the OP appears to have a good skillset for audio installations and look forward to seeing how it turns out in the end.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-30-2011, 02:37:40 PM   #10
EXQUZ M3
M Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
I understand the work involved with this... but I cannot stand how much this type of modification ruins the interior.

Meh.
I certainly understand your concern about affecting the appearance of the stock interior, I had reservations myself. For me, it came down to priorities - descent sound on my long commute -or- maintaining the stock appearance of an already modified 16 year old car. I chose the former.

I hope when I finish the kick panels that the visual impact is less significant than the audible impact.
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Last edited by EXQUZ M3; Sun, Jan-30-2011 at 05:03:14 PM.