BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jan-20-2011, 11:56:44 PM   #1
fast1al

United States

Default SMG Issue, Indicator Light On

Hey,

So I've searched on the forum...no solution so far. I've got an 2004 and my SMG Transmission light came on about three weeks ago. Story goes: The roads were icy and the car lost traction and then the light came on, went off a couple miles later. Then two weeks later I guess the car was in a low gear, (it kinda hesitated like a manual tranny does when you need to downshift, I was probably almost at idle) and going up a hill...the light came on again and never went out. Other than the light being on I havn't had any issues with the transmission...runs perfect. Yesterday I just replaced the relay and disconnected the battery for about an half hour...still the SMG light is on. Anyone have advise or experience with similar symptons? Otherwise I will take her into the shop and see from there. Thanks!
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-20-2011, 11:59:18 PM   #2
Dizzeep
Blue Dreamin 24/7

In the garage:

India

Default Re: SMG Issue, Indicator Light On

it sounds like it could be a SMG spring issue... happened to mine... had the same problems as you are talking about. Best to get it checked out by a dealer before more goes wrong. I hope its nothing like that but it seems like it.
Jump to top Dizzeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 05:54:07 AM   #3
MPOWERD
Mod Hound!

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1al View Post
Hey,

So I've searched on the forum...no solution so far. I've got an 2004 and my SMG Transmission light came on about three weeks ago. Story goes: The roads were icy and the car lost traction and then the light came on, went off a couple miles later. Then two weeks later I guess the car was in a low gear, (it kinda hesitated like a manual tranny does when you need to downshift, I was probably almost at idle) and going up a hill...the light came on again and never went out. Other than the light being on I havn't had any issues with the transmission...runs perfect. Yesterday I just replaced the relay and disconnected the battery for about an half hour...still the SMG light is on. Anyone have advise or experience with similar symptons? Otherwise I will take her into the shop and see from there. Thanks!
After I replaced my relay I had to wait a full day for the SMG light to go out...

Have you checked the fluid level in your SMG reservoir?

Have you had it checked for codes yet?

<> CSL Carbon Fiber Intake w/MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo, Euro Headers & Cats, K&N 69, Radenergie Carbon Fiber Strutbar
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills, Carbon Fiber Fender Grills, SMG Carbon Fiber Paddles, Vorsteiner 2 Sided CF VCSL Boot
<> EAS Slvr Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Blk Carbon Fiber SMG Dome, Carbon Fiber Console, & Blk/Slvr Steering Wheel Trim
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Engine Bay, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Valve Cover, RPI Intake Scoops, CarPC w/Nav/MP3/HD Radio/TV
<> Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Supersprint X-Pipe with Resonator, Ekarbon 1/2 Carbon Fiber Diffuser, DEPO Smoked Corners
<> 19x8.5 19x9.5 VMR V710s in HyperSilver, Painted Corner Reflectors, EAS Carbon Fiber Emblems, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent
<> Slvr CF Pedals, OEM 2-Tone Hardtop, Windscreen, & Alarm, 6K Headlights & HID Fogs, Blk Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Jump to top MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 06:58:49 AM   #4
johnm_oz

Australia

Broken spring doesn't produce an error code and the symptoms sound nothing like it. If the relay's been replaced and the light remains on then the next step is to see why the light's on. In other words, get the error codes read.

Cheers
JM
Jump to top johnm_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 12:45:30 PM   #5
wilsel

United States

It's best to get the codes read after you've checked the fluid, and replaced the relay. My light kept coming on, car drove fine, then the light would go out next time the car was started. Started happening more frequently then one day it had trouble going into gear (then worked fine the next day driving to the dealer). Mine ended up being the sensor on the clutch slave cylinder (which you cannot buy seperately/have to replace the entire slave cylinder). There are so many things it could be.
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 02:00:12 PM   #6
Dizzeep
Blue Dreamin 24/7

In the garage:

India

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm_oz View Post
Broken spring doesn't produce an error code and the symptoms sound nothing like it. If the relay's been replaced and the light remains on then the next step is to see why the light's on. In other words, get the error codes read.

Cheers
JM
Well thats what happened to me. When i took it to the dealer they read the error codes and BMW said that it was most probably the springs in the SMG transmission and they were right so they replaced them ad the clutch since it was close to being almost worn out. I hope for the op sake its not this as my car was at the dealer for about a week and it cost me 3500.... but on the bright side i have no problems anymore!
Jump to top Dizzeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 04:45:40 PM   #7
RedM3/4

United States

check the fluid first. Give it a couple days and some start cycles. If it is still on, get the codes read at a dealer. Both descriptions to me seem like you might get lucky with just fluid level. Both involve some jerkiness, the second with the hill - these things could affect fluid level in the reservoir. I'm not aware of fluid level sensor, but if it gulped air for a second due to low fluid, that could "thump" the pressure sensor in the HCU.
ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 05:45:41 PM   #8
fast1al

United States

The fluid level is good. I have not driven many miles since I replaced the relay (its been 2 days and about 15-20 miles). Is there a certain amount of time or mileage I need to go before the light would reset itself? I will take it into the shop sometime next week and get the codes. I will post the outcome. Thanks!
Old Thu, Jan-27-2011, 02:38:30 AM   #9
fast1al

United States

Update: Took the car into the shop. the error code was Code 021, Hydraulic Relay Activation. They said to replace the relay which I did. The SMG had to be reset to erase the code so if my light doesn't come back on then it was the relay. Thanks to the forum I knew to replace it!
Old Thu, Jan-27-2011, 03:44:39 AM   #10
nis350

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1al View Post
Update: Took the car into the shop. the error code was Code 021, Hydraulic Relay Activation. They said to replace the relay which I did. The SMG had to be reset to erase the code so if my light doesn't come back on then it was the relay. Thanks to the forum I knew to replace it!
So how do you reset the SMG to get rid of the warning light? Is it something only the dealer or shop with special machine can do?
Jump to top nis350 is online now   Reply With Quote