BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Mon, Jan-10-2011, 01:30:48 AM   #1
IGotId
No longer driving an e46 after 1 e46 or another for a decade

In the garage:

United States

Default Would like your thoughts on a CTS-V wagon vs. E90 ZCP M3 vs. BMW X5 50i

So Im looking for a car with enough room for 3 car seats to replace my faithful e46. Id been thinking long & hard on the CTS-V wagon for the last several weeks until I test drove a sedan last week. I sat in the rear seat & at the time figured that there is no way that 3 car seats would fit in the rear. However, Ive been doing some research on a car seat forum (imagine that!) & have found that there are several combinations that should work in a mid-size vehicle. Therefore, Im again considering a V wagon, I also test drove an e90 M3 w/ ZCP today. The CTS-V & M3 are tied at this point, Id love to be able to track either of these cars on weekends (Id wanted to do the same with my e46 but unfortunately never was able to, for one reason or another). Also, my wife has an Acura MDX which we can use for family duties/weekends. Id also test fit 3 carseats in each car prior to ordering.

Pros vs. cons of each IMO:

1) CTS-V Wagon (in Thunder Gray)

Pros: 556hp! Wagon may be a bit more practical than an e90 sedan. Not many around. Magnetorheological shocks produce a very comfortable ride in touring mode. Available in a 6-speed manual. Gorgeous exterior, I like the interior. Excellent warranty coverage (including 5yr/100K powertrain)/free maintenance. Very well specced as standard, Id likely add the optional Recaros. I wont be tempted to mod the wagon. Tri-coat thunder gray is beautiful in person.

Cons: Heavy! Low red-line! Only interior color options are gray vs. black. Holy wheel gap!

2) e90 M3 ZCP (LeMans Blue or Space Gray)

Pros: Lightweight (compared to the V wagon). I liked the DKG. ZCP produces a nice stance as standard, I obviously love the ZCP wheels.

Cons: Honestly, the looks, I still havent quite gotten used to the appearance of this generation. It will be hard for to keep from spending $$$ on mods. Options add up in price quickly.

3) BMW X5 11 (likely space gray)

Pros: Obviously would be more practical, decent handling vehicle for its size/weight.

Cons: Options add up in price quickly.

Would love to hear your thoughts:

Pics:

Silver Grey/Cinnamon Premium, Nav, Xenons, CWP; TC Kline S/A Coilovers; Gunmetal RAC RG4 v.2 19x9/10"; Stoptech BBK; OEM CSL Bootlid & Diffuser, V-CSL v2 bumper; Dinan SSK, Dinan exhaust, & Dinan Front Strut Tower Brace

Jump to top IGotId is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jan-10-2011, 01:50:54 AM   #2
P4lm3r
Who is phone?

In the garage:
Reputation: 0 P4lm3r is a glorious beacon of lightP4lm3r is a glorious beacon of light

Vatican City State

Default Re: Would like your thoughts on a CTS-V wagon vs. E90 ZCP M3 vs. BMW X5 50i

Shy of an Avant, the CTS-V wagon is teh hottest wagon ever. I would strongly recommend the wagon. Also, if my brother can fit 3 car seats in his Cherokee, you can fit 3 in the Caddie. Lastly, a track wagon would be the ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfifteen View Post
Don't get all butthurt, sparky. This is OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotM? View Post
Still looking for the dick
Jump to top P4lm3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-10-2011, 01:51:19 AM   #3
Teh_Ginger
Hi there!

Sweden

Default Re: Would like your thoughts on a CTS-V wagon vs. E90 ZCP M3 vs. BMW X5 50i

How old are the kids? I personally wouldn't want crayons, cheerios, piss, boogers and all the other disgusting things that accompany a very young child in any of those cars.

That said, CTS-V wagon. Mixes the added practicality of the X5 and the fun of the M3. Not to mention you'll have quite a unique ride. No brainer, really.

Jump to top Teh_Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-10-2011, 02:00:02 AM   #4
MrBooby

In the garage:

Russian Federation

CTS-V wagon, you're gonna be the coolest dad in the neighborhood lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDownforce View Post
downforce is a lifestyle with compromises...u have to be willing to sacrifice... gas mileage... top speed... but when things get curvy u become the champion and thats what life is about
Jump to top MrBooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-10-2011, 02:02:36 AM   #5
HelloNewman
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)>⌐■-■

Reputation: 0 HelloNewman is a glorious beacon of lightHelloNewman is a glorious beacon of light

United States

CTS-V wagon, without a doubt. Most reliable car, the best looking, and a pleothera of aftermarket support.
Old Mon, Jan-10-2011, 02:06:21 AM   #6
IGotId

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4lm3r View Post
Lastly, a track wagon would be the ish.
lol...i definetely plan to take either the M3 or V to the track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ginger View Post
How old are the kids? I personally wouldn't want crayons, cheerios, piss, boogers and all the other disgusting things that accompany a very young child in any of those cars.

That said, CTS-V wagon. Mixes the added practicality of the X5 and the fun of the M3. Not to mention you'll have quite a unique ride. No brainer, really.
the oldest is 5y.o., the next is 1y.o., we're expecting our 3rd in late March/early April...

my e46 was my daily driver & only car for several years & i was able to keep the car clean despite all the "crayons, cheerios, piss, boogers and all the other disgusting things"; admittedly, it'll be harder w/ another addition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBooby View Post
CTS-V wagon, you're gonna be the coolest dad in the neighborhood lol.
cool, i thought this thread would bring out the bimmer fanboys!

Silver Grey/Cinnamon Premium, Nav, Xenons, CWP; TC Kline S/A Coilovers; Gunmetal RAC RG4 v.2 19x9/10"; Stoptech BBK; OEM CSL Bootlid & Diffuser, V-CSL v2 bumper; Dinan SSK, Dinan exhaust, & Dinan Front Strut Tower Brace

Old Mon, Jan-10-2011, 02:07:23 AM   #7
IGotId

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewman2002 View Post
CTS-V wagon, without a doubt. Most reliable car, the best looking, and a pleothera of aftermarket support.
aftermarket support meaning mod-wise? hope so, the exhaust on that car by far is a weak-point...

Old Mon, Jan-10-2011, 02:14:29 AM   #8
HelloNewman
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)>⌐■-■

Reputation: 0 HelloNewman is a glorious beacon of lightHelloNewman is a glorious beacon of light

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
aftermarket support meaning mod-wise? hope so, the exhaust on that car by far is a weak-point...
Yes, american cars (gm specifically) always have a ton of high quality parts available, and they are usually a lot cheaper than parts for German cars.
Old Mon, Jan-10-2011, 02:16:45 AM   #9
Teh_Ginger
Hi there!

Sweden

Quote:
the oldest is 5y.o., the next is 1y.o., we're expecting our 3rd in late March/early April...

my e46 was my daily driver & only car for several years & i was able to keep the car clean despite all the "crayons, cheerios, piss, boogers and all the other disgusting things"; admittedly, it'll be harder w/ another addition!
Big congrats on the new addition!

Quote:
Corsa will solve all your problems! It is bar-none the best exhaust system you can buy for any American V8 car. I personally ran it on my GTO and it was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwGKh0tjJMw

Jump to top Teh_Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-10-2011, 02:21:21 AM   #10
Gary Powers
Taking the long way home.

In the garage:

United States

How does the ctsv handle? And Im not so sure about tracking a wagon.
For street use, get the ctsv and keep the e46 for the track.