BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Place to discuss sights and sounds.

Old Fri, Jan-07-2011, 12:41:09 AM   #1
wade1

United States

Default Aftermarket Stereo Navigation

I have an 2001 M3 Coupe. It does not have factory navigation. I want to upgrade my stereo so I don't have to deal with the nav falling off the windshield all the time. I found the conversion bracket to move the climate control but that is as far as I've gotten. Any recommendations for this project and for a good head unit? I want it to have nav, bluetooth, and I want to be able to control my ipod with the actual unit. Not looking to spend a fortune but if I can pull this off the road will be a safer place for everyone...
Jump to top wade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jan-07-2011, 05:05:16 PM   #2
Gregs///M

Italy

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo Navigation

Try searching, this has been covered many times.

Modifications:Dice Ipod Interface [] Focal Utopia 6.5in components speakers(front), Focal Utopia 5.25in component speakers (rear) []JL Audio W3V3 Sub Woofer []
Eclipse Xa5000 5 ch amplifier [] Clifford 50.7 two way pager [] Custom interior trim (OEM Alcantara) [] Dinan Stage I tune. []
Owner of Bavarian Restoration - www.BavRest.com
Jump to top Gregs///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-07-2011, 05:17:47 PM   #3
monochrom3
P-Car Noob

In the garage:

United States

Check out the Dynavin
e46 M3: TiAg, ESS VT450, Dinan 3.91's, Euro headers/cats, SS x-pipe, SS race muffler; GC coilovers & swaybar; Stoptech ST60/40; OEM CSL bootlid, Dinan 19's (sold)
Jump to top monochrom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-07-2011, 06:39:37 PM   #4
toy4to
Lemonade Tycoon

Canada

If you don't want to go the dynavin route, then pick out an aftermarket double-din unit with navi. I recently installed an alpine iva-w505 with navi, BT, ipod control, . You'll need the following:

- a/c relocation
- wiring harness and antenna adapter to work with the stock wiring harness ($20)
- heater vent/arm modification (purchase it from Janus or from other sources like ebay)
- radio trim for your new double-din

The dynavin is the cheaper route to go, since you won't need the radio trim, heater vent modification, and mounting bracket (it will cost you around $150-200).
Jump to top toy4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-07-2011, 10:01:27 PM   #5
MarkOne
I plead the FiF

In the garage:

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4to View Post
The dynavin is the cheaper route to go, since you won't need the radio trim, heater vent modification, and mounting bracket (it will cost you around $150-200).
this.

SOLD
2005 Carbon Black on Black M3 Coupe w/ SMG
Current Mods: M3an One headers, OEM euro section 1, K&N drop in filter, OEM zcp brakes, ECS brake lines, ST coilovers, Linea Corse LM reps (19x8.5 +35, 19x10 +22), Khoalty license plate LEDs, Turner painted reflectors, Depo matte black kidney grills, Depo smoked corners, Depo smoked side markers, EAS cf 2x2 interior trim, BSW subwoofer
Jump to top MarkOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-19-2011, 06:06:29 AM   #6
Voltaire

In the garage:

Australia

The dynavin is the only unit that I've seen that has an OEM like appearance.
Jump to top Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-10-2011, 01:08:38 AM   #7
wade1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4to View Post
If you don't want to go the dynavin route, then pick out an aftermarket double-din unit with navi. I recently installed an alpine iva-w505 with navi, BT, ipod control, . You'll need the following:

- a/c relocation
- wiring harness and antenna adapter to work with the stock wiring harness ($20)
- heater vent/arm modification (purchase it from Janus or from other sources like ebay)
- radio trim for your new double-din

I'm definitely going this route. I don't think I'm trying to spend alpine money right now but that sounds like an awesome choice. I found a shop to do the work. I don't think I'm skilled enough for this type of install. I'm replacing the factory speakers, getting a clarion 2 din head unit and getting kicker 700.5 amp installed. I think the shop is able to just modify the vents arm for me so I'm not gonna worry bout picking that up. Where should I grab the ac relocation kit and the double din radio trim? How many hours should this install take?
Old Thu, Feb-10-2011, 01:29:08 AM   #8
toy4to
Lemonade Tycoon

Canada

A lot of people see the instructions and they think it's a lot of effort. To be honest, the time consuming part is cutting the plastic. The vent arm modification is extremely simple! It's the darn trimming of the plastic so that the metal cage can be mounted. Honestly, I think people are afraid to tackle this installation because of all the stuff they've heard, but it's really exaggerated. It's just trial and error, that's all. Trim it a bit, test fit the cage. Trim it some more, fit it again, repeat...

Do yourself a favor and google 'janus e46 double din installation instructions' and read that file to get an idea of the complexity. A local shop here wanted close to $1000 to do this. Uuhhh..yeah right. If you're still going to have a shop do it for you, buy the Janus installation kit and provide it to your shop so that it'll be easier. It includes everything needed to install and modify the vent arm.

A/c relocation kit, look in the f/s section, or order it new from Tischer. The double-din trim you can order it from Janus, or go on ebay and look for the Euro-spec version. See ebay item number: 320632907788

You can finish the installation of the double din within an afternoon using the janus kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade1 View Post
I'm definitely going this route. I don't think I'm trying to spend alpine money right now but that sounds like an awesome choice. I found a shop to do the work. I don't think I'm skilled enough for this type of install. I'm replacing the factory speakers, getting a clarion 2 din head unit and getting kicker 700.5 amp installed. I think the shop is able to just modify the vents arm for me so I'm not gonna worry bout picking that up. Where should I grab the ac relocation kit and the double din radio trim? How many hours should this install take?
Old Thu, Feb-10-2011, 01:37:18 AM   #9
wade1

United States

Thanks. Since I'm doin the speakers and mounting the amp I'm gonna stick with the shop but I'm def gonna look it up and give it to them. They are a friend of a friend so it might save me some of the labor expense. I'm trying to order the relocation kit now but I'm not sure which one to go with. I have four buttons on my car (sport, traction control, etc.) but I'm not sure if those are actually on a single switch unit. So do I need the one with the multi switch cut-outs or the single switch cut out?
Old Thu, Feb-10-2011, 01:56:55 AM   #10
toy4to
Lemonade Tycoon

Canada

Here are the part numbers:

51168230902 (individual buttons)
51167001408 (single line of buttons)

see which one corresponds to yours:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=2756
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade1 View Post
Thanks. Since I'm doin the speakers and mounting the amp I'm gonna stick with the shop but I'm def gonna look it up and give it to them. They are a friend of a friend so it might save me some of the labor expense. I'm trying to order the relocation kit now but I'm not sure which one to go with. I have four buttons on my car (sport, traction control, etc.) but I'm not sure if those are actually on a single switch unit. So do I need the one with the multi switch cut-outs or the single switch cut out?

Last edited by toy4to; Thu, Feb-10-2011 at 02:02:37 AM.