BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Thu, Dec-02-2010, 05:42:37 PM   #1
cozmo kraemer

United States

Default Cozmo Kraemer's 2003 Carbonshwartz M3 Journal

So I had my eye on this car for some time and it was always out of my price range. In the middle of last year, prices started to fall into the range of what I wanted to spend and so I decided to make the jump. Previous to the e46m I had put together a beast of a single turbo FD RX7, I had an incident with a wastegate line that fell off, while I was full throttle, and that killed that engine/turbo setup that I spent a year building and lots of $$...So I went to the LS1...completed that swap (full pcm controlled a/c, power steering, revised rear subframe, full interior change, etc etc.) It was a great car, but I wanted something nicer from day to day so I moved to the e46m.

I have previously owned 2 e30s. I still currently own a 318i sedan that I like to drive pretty frequently. I had an e36m3 and an Integra Type R that I both track drove pretty much any weekend I could get out there. I wanted to get back into an e36m with a euro engine, but that was looking like more money than an e46m so I went with the e46 because I do believe it is the better all around car.

I picked this car up last November. The clutch was not working right and it started throwing a VANOS code at me in my first 2 weeks of ownership. The previous owner had installed SuperSprint Stepped headers but the supposedly high end shop that installed them did a ridiculously bad job. I will post photos below of what i had to do to fix this.

So in my first month of ownership I had to cut out the pricey headers and reweld the flanging area, drop the tranny to replace a broken clutch pivot point and bent clutch fork, and replace the VANOS solenoid. Luckily for me, that cured all the glaring issues.

Now about exactly a year later I am removing the eibach/koni suspension setup and moving to the AST 4100 (550/650) w/ Vorshlag camber plates, a few weeks ago I also updated the RTAB to the Rogue black street poly bushings. This install and alignment setup will also be documented below.

I have a set of square OEM rears that I have mounted track tires on, and I will be doing quite a few track days in the coming months with this car as retribution for all the work!

So as the car sits now...

BBS RGR 19" Street wheels, OEM square 18s for the track
Currently stock exhaust setup, going back to SuperSprint stepped headers and magnaflow exhaust (with 400 cell cats) if my O2 simulator ever arrives
K&N intake
Turner Motorsport 3.91 rear diff
Ground Control "gentleman's" setup (Koni shocks, Eibach street springs, GC Camber plates) with Eibach Sways. This is going to be AST here shortly

Stock brake pads for the street, Cobalt Pads with custom ducting for the track

Thule Roof rack to cart around the tires and tools

BSW stage 1 sound package is all that is really done to the interior.

Below are pictures from the previous owner's for sale thread. I haven't gotten too take a full photo shoot of the car yet, but should get time here in the near future. Stay tuned.

2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, SSV1 Headers/CPI slip fit catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc

Last edited by cozmo kraemer; Mon, Dec-20-2010 at 04:38:28 AM.
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Dec-02-2010, 05:51:20 PM   #2
cozmo kraemer

United States

Placeholder for exhaust process pics
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, SSV1 Headers/CPI slip fit catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc
Old Thu, Dec-02-2010, 05:51:45 PM   #3
cozmo kraemer

United States

75k miles

Removed the GC Koni/Eibach setup last weekend and it was a pretty easy job, even in my cramped tiny storage space of a garage. Of course I have probably swapped suspension 10-12 times in these cars, but it still went really smoothly with no stuck bolts or unmanageable situations. The AST 4100s went in without issue as well. Overall I would say the whole process took me about 4 hours including the removal of the trunk interior.

The AST 4100 with the 550f/650r springs is pretty liveable on the street. This is my DD so that was fairly important. That being said, the car is pretty dang stiff with these in there and as with any firm suspension the car is much less compliant over undulating pavement. That is where i notice it the most, not bumps so to speak that make the suspension travel quickly up and down, but the pavement that resembles a wave.

The increased stiffness and camber has really helped the car transition and has helped cornering grip in the brief experience I have with it so far. I should be on the track in January and I will have a more detailed writeup.

Below are pictures of the install process.

Old Suspension

New Suspension has arrived

Suspension out of the rear

New Rear Springs

Rear complete

Old Front Suspension

New front struts assembled - Sooo Pretty!

New Front Suspension Installed

Top of Vorshlag Camber Plates

My Journal

Last edited by cozmo kraemer; Mon, Dec-20-2010 at 04:39:36 AM.
Old Mon, Dec-20-2010, 05:20:18 AM   #4
cozmo kraemer

United States

Default Re: Cozmo Kraemer's 2003 Carbonshwartz M3 Journal

Updated with the suspension post. Exhaust will probably be the week of New Years.

My Journal

Old Mon, Dec-20-2010, 06:06:24 AM   #5
m3freak86
JERSEY STRONG

In the garage:

United States

Looking good man. Headed on the right track for sure. Keep up the nice work.

2004 Carbon Black///M3 (gone)
Mods and Specs
My Exhaust Obsession
My Journal
Jump to top m3freak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-20-2010, 04:41:01 PM   #6
PerkM3

United States

Love the AST's, I can't wait till I can get a set.
Old Fri, Feb-21-2014, 11:42:16 PM   #7
cozmo kraemer

United States

I haven't updated this in awhile...

Since this thread I actually took the car back to relatively stock. .
  • After a move to SoCal and commuting on these crappy roads, I reluctantly removed the AST 4100 setup (sold to APEX_FTW) and went to the Dinan Stage 3 setup with JRZ shocks. I love this setup for a car that is mostly DD. I just wish it was a touch lower. I kept the Ground Control sways and Turner 3.91 rear diff
  • Took the intake back to stock, with MS Elbow and Filter. I had bit of trouble with the K&N causing a stall when you would clutch in at freeway speeds to slow on an offramp. It would happen once or twice a year, so back to stock...
  • Removed the headers and went to stock for emissions purposes, but this will be getting changed here shortly and I will put it in this thread. I removed the Magnaflow exhaust due to drone on the freeway (I had a long commute and had to frequently take conference calls in the car, so it had to go). I will be buying the CPI single step headers and 200cell cats and running that with the stock rear sections.
  • Locked down the VANOS, with Besian and Dr Vanos parts. I will post some photos of that.
  • IReplaced the essential front suspension parts (control arm, FCAB, and tie rods). I have photos of that I will post this weekend.
  • I received all my rear subframe parts (AKG SF and Diff bushings and BMW Foam Reinforcement) so that install will be next weekend. Just waiting on the Koch press tool. I'm probably going to leave the other bushings alone, but we will see how they look when I'm in there.
  • Also just recently received various parts and did a tune up (engine/tranny mounts, CSB, guibo, o2 sensors, spark plugs, fuel filter, oil change, miscelanous trim panels, front hood vent, fuel door popper thing, windshield washer nozzle) real exciting stuff!

The car still runs great at 127k miles. I just recently purchased a clean Imola Red interior from Tim in San Diego, and I installed that last night. Attached are a few pics. I really like the imola. At the same time I replaced the B pillar covers, as they were pealing (they were the only trim piece in the interior that I hadn't replaced).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (231.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 2.jpg (196.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 3.jpg (214.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 4.jpg (220.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 5.jpg (205.8 KB, 77 views)

My Journal

Last edited by cozmo kraemer; Fri, Feb-21-2014 at 11:50:14 PM.
Old Fri, Feb-21-2014, 11:43:25 PM   #8
cozmo kraemer

United States

And the finished interior, both high and low light. Actual color is somewhere in the middle. It is really tough to photograph this interior!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 6.jpg (229.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 7.JPG (91.7 KB, 107 views)

My Journal

Old Mon, Feb-24-2014, 05:10:46 PM   #9
cozmo kraemer

United States

Did the front control arms and control arm bushings yesterday. Overall just a couple of notes.

I couldn't find a DIY on the control arm install so I will maybe making a thread on it. I am never good at taking a ton of pictures though so I will just document a bit of it below.
  • You must remove the intake to get to the top of the inboard ball joint bolt that attaches to the subframe (21mm nut). As this project went on, I thought it might be easier to just support the engine and drop the subframe (as that is crazy easy on this car) but I did the whole project in 2.5hours anyway, so it was still pretty quick.
  • Leave the FCAB attached to seperate the outside ball joint from the spindle. Pretty straight forward with the seperator, just hammer it in at an angle to get leverage from the arm to the spindle. My DS was a pain, the PS came out with just a couple of whacks.
  • On the passenger side, you can't get to the top of the nut for the inboard ball joint from above so you have to remove it from below with a box wrench. I had cut a 7/8" wrench in half to get at the O2 sensors with the stock headers in the car. Worked great on them, well that came in handy removing this nut as well. I popped it loose with a standard length 21mm, then used the shorter wrench to fully loosen it. Worked MUCH faster this way.
  • Going back together was fairly straght forwrad, just one note...I used a jack with a piece of wood to push the ball joints fully into the spindle/subframe to prevent the joint from turning while tightening the nuts. If you don't use a jack you will have to use a hex key in the ball joint bolt, as you tighten the nut to prevent it from turning. That is a pain, so this worked perfectly.
  • My car is over 100k miles, my ball joints were TOAST. Very nice to have the new arms in there. FCABs looked perfectly fine though, they were replaced anyway. I was suffering some uneven tire wear on the inside of the front tires. I hope this R&R has remedied that.

Thats pretty much it. I have the tie rods to replace as well, but I will do those at the same time I do the rear bushings so I only have to align the car once. Should be next week.

Fairly straight forward install. Took me about 2.5hrs after I had the car in the air, to putting it back on the ground.

I'm attaching the pics. The one from above shows the intake removed and you have to disconnect the power steering res. from it's mounts to get to the nut you need to remove. The others show the new arms out/then in (shiny) and the old arm out (dirty).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA pic 5.jpg (215.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg CA pic 3.jpg (212.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg CA pic 1.jpg (204.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg CA pic 4.jpg (205.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg CA pic 6.jpg (220.4 KB, 108 views)

My Journal

Old Mon, Feb-24-2014, 07:11:43 PM   #10
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Nice car. Congrats.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote