BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Nov-22-2010, 01:06:11 AM   #1
mc5

In the garage:

Canada

Default Autoenginuity smg reset

Does anybody know how to do this? The documentation is not clear on how to reset my smg clutch adaptation to have the smg perform better.
Jump to top mc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-24-2010, 12:07:44 PM   #2
mc5

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
My take on this is three fold.

Yes there's a genuine software issue with the system that will clear if you catch it early - but it will eventually come back depending on the type of driving and driving style used.

Secondly, the mechanical side and this relates to the SAC clutch pack. The interface between this and the software isn't that great and over time the system either over or under-compensates for wear thus the experienced slip or slur.

Thirdly and this is when the software isn't updated consistently or reset periodically and the eventual clutch plate wears out or the flywheel becomes worn, or another part of the system (such as the release fork, release bearing, plastic sleeve guide) eventually wear out causing the system to 'catch'.

I have personally NEVER experienced the so called 3rd to 4th gear slur.

I have however experienced the take off slur and this was quickly corrected with a reset.

Now to the reset part: I have a suspicion that the dealerships may sometimes not be doing the correct reset on the software. After doing a bit more reading and playing with my Autoenginuity tool, it turns out there's actually 5 different commands that is involved with the SMG clutch.

First is a soft clutch reset (I suspect this is the same as the drive above 30mile/h, in neutral and pull both paddle back reset) - it reinitialises the system vis-a-vis the wheel speed rotation sensors.

Second is a Clutch Slip reset (this is by far the most noticeable and effective reset when you are experiencing s slight slur when taking off) - I do this reset on my car regularly and have not experienced another take off slur ever since.

Third is a clutch curve re-adaptation - this is an interesting one - I tried this on my car the other day and to my surprised it changed the whole dynamic of the way the car shifted and released the clutch. I have to honestly say that this is the MOST NOTICEABLE Reset of them all - whiplash is an understatement with this reset. I was almost a bit concerened that I'd broken my car. But after taking the car for a good moderate drive in different shift speed settings with part and full open throttle shifts I could immediately feel the system "adapting" to the driving style, eventually it became crisp and sharp with no hint of hesitation or clutch slur. I believe this is the full initialisation that the dealership uses when a new clutch pack is installed or a SMG pump is changed.

The fourth is called the clutch take up point reset - I usually do this in conjunction with the clutch slip reset and it works well and take all of 2 seconds to do. With this reset the clutch pack is simply opened and closed once.

The fifth and is one that I have not tried is the longitudinal acceleration sensor reset. This is part of the SMG system and on the system it is a Mandatory Reset whenever the SMG pump has been replaced. I have not tried this, so am not sure what it does exactly yet.

My take on this whole saga.

Yes there's an issue, but being a widely reported item I do think that owners actively 'look' for it, and we hear it on the net as a result.

I do believe that the only way around this is:

1. Buy a tool or buddy up with your indy shop with one and reset your system on a regular basis before anything mechanical is worn;

2. (and somebody really needs to try this out) - use a Non SAC clutch kit with the exact same clamping pressure as the OEM system and if possible run a single mass flywheel rather than a dual mass one (but not a solid centre clutch, a sprung one if you like your drivetrain components).
Old Wed, Feb-16-2011, 09:07:17 PM   #3
mc5

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: Autoenginuity smg reset

Ok I did the smg reset Autoenginuity procedure in this order:

Teach in clutch slipping
Teach in clutch characteristic curve
Teach clutch values

refering to this screen capture http://www.autoenginuity.com/vehicle...r-list-21.html

Now all i can say its a big difference in my 100k miles M on original clutch. It seems to drive like new. I have had this software for years and just got around to doing this. I should have done it at least once a year.

Last edited by mc5; Wed, Feb-16-2011 at 10:40:04 PM.
Jump to top mc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-16-2011, 09:51:12 PM   #4
eoddom

In the garage:

United States

Where did you buy this autoenginuity tool and what adapters and what not are needed to make it work? Im interested in buying it will be cheaper to run codes and do resets myself instead of having to take it to an indy shop every time.
Jump to top eoddom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-16-2011, 10:44:41 PM   #5
shanneba

United States

BimmerZone sells it -
http://www.bimmerzone.com/Diagnostic...ST06-EI07.html
Jump to top shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-16-2011, 10:54:47 PM   #6
GRKM3

In the garage:

United States

I have both Autoenginuity and INPA. I feel INPA is more capable when it comes to SMG.
Mods :VFE Stage 2 SC, SS Ceramic Coated Stepped Headers, S-Pipe, X-Pipe,TMS Subframe Reinforcement, KWV2 Coilovers, TMS Camber Plates, Powerflex RTAB's, Rogue RSM's, ZCP F/R Brakes, OEM CSL Roof, VCSL D/S Carbon Trunk, diffuser and bumper, Armrest Delete, carbon mirror shells, OEM LED tail lights, BBS CH, Alcantara steering wheel, Armrest delete, Valentine V1, Laser Interceptor...

5D Mark III | 24-70 2.8 IIL | 17-40 4L | 50 1.8II | 580EXII

Jump to top GRKM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-16-2011, 11:26:09 PM   #7
eoddom

In the garage:

United States

Hmm gonna order this next month to just have it around if i need it. Good 450 dollar peice of mind. Does it come with all cables to hook to laptop and car?
Jump to top eoddom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-17-2011, 02:27:03 AM   #8
NZ_M3

Mc5, might be nice next time if you quote the author.

Correct order when resetting the SMG via Autoenginuity is as follows (this is provided for in the Group Tester One for those that have used it):

1. Tech in clutch characteristic curve
2. adapt transmission fully (not an absolute necessity to do this one)
3. tech in clutch slip point
4. offset longitudinal sensor reset
5. Reset clutch values (under the GT1 this is under a different function within the menu).

Some will also find this helpful:

Middle box shows the service item, right box shows the functions to use

[img]
Jump to top NZ_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-17-2011, 02:38:25 AM   #9
GRKM3

In the garage:

United States

Here's a few screen shots by "Loaded" on using INPA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded View Post
Hello I have Bmw M3 E46 2003 SMG, yesterday i run ediabas Inpa to test For smg adaptation "Specia Test" For Smg adaptation for sequential M-Gearbox

first bleed actuator run ok no error

then bleed cluth run ok no error

when i run complete adaption vehicle must be positioned horizontal test
breaking

have error

Adapt gearbox
test status : test program not regular finished
info status : minimum window size for 4th gear is small
break at: adapt gearbox
smg light end service engine soon com on in instrument cluster display

somebody Help
Mods :VFE Stage 2 SC, SS Ceramic Coated Stepped Headers, S-Pipe, X-Pipe,TMS Subframe Reinforcement, KWV2 Coilovers, TMS Camber Plates, Powerflex RTAB's, Rogue RSM's, ZCP F/R Brakes, OEM CSL Roof, VCSL D/S Carbon Trunk, diffuser and bumper, Armrest Delete, carbon mirror shells, OEM LED tail lights, BBS CH, Alcantara steering wheel, Armrest delete, Valentine V1, Laser Interceptor...

5D Mark III | 24-70 2.8 IIL | 17-40 4L | 50 1.8II | 580EXII

Jump to top GRKM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-17-2011, 05:58:49 AM   #10
shanneba

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoddom View Post
Hmm gonna order this next month to just have it around if i need it. Good 450 dollar peice of mind. Does it come with all cables to hook to laptop and car?
Yes it has the 16 pin OBDII connector (USB) and should also include a cable for the 20 pin round OBDII connectors for the early models.
Jump to top shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote