BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Place to discuss sights and sounds.

Old Sun, Nov-07-2010, 11:03:55 PM   #1
warmwater

Default Install PIcs of Alpine Type-R SPR-17S 6.5 Comp e46 m3

Here are some pics of an easy install

Alpine Type-R SPR-17S - Car speaker system - 110 Watt - 2-way - component - 6.5"

Remove Door Panel
Remove Factory Large Speaker, Leave Plastic Ring

Remove Factory Plug From Factor Speaker to Keep a quick disconnect

Remove Factory Ring From Factory Speaker

Mount New Alpine with Factory Adapters

Tighten Screws

Remove Tweeter

Remove Plastic Ring From Tweeter

Remove Tweeter from housing, two bolts

Install new Alpine Tweeter in new Home

Use Alpine Ring and Screw to tighten Tweeter

You can leave or remove the factory smallest speaker, I removed
Tighter Assembly

*****Do not user the Alpine Cross Over************
Take the Factory Speaker wire for the larger tweeter and wire to the new Alpine Tweeter- The wire with the Brown Stripe from Factory is Negative, the Alpine Negative is the Wire with the Black Stripe

Solder and Tape all wires to factory harness for quick remove if door plannel need to be removed

It sounded great after all this work, I do have a HK Factory AMP, with an Aftermarket Deck

Hope this helps I was surprised how easy this was

Last edited by warmwater; Sun, Nov-07-2010 at 11:13:10 PM.
Jump to top warmwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-09-2010, 04:28:59 AM   #2
E46M3FF

In the garage:

United States

thanks man it is great that you did this. i have the same speakers but i havent put them on cause i didnt think they will fit. how do they sound, do you here a difference while still using the same amp? can you post smaller picutures please.
Jump to top E46M3FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-30-2010, 02:16:22 PM   #3
SmokeyDP

United States

I'm curious how this sounds too. I tried to install a set of 6.5" MB Quart speakers in the same fashion but there was a huge lack of midbass because the front of the speaker didn't seal with the front of the grill very well. Plus there isn't a lot of space for air movement behind the door panel.
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels
Jump to top SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-30-2010, 02:32:35 PM   #4
Project E46M3
Go big or go home...

United States

I would like to know how these sound as well. If everything was plug and play then these might be a great option! BTW...your pix are huge!!!!
Jump to top Project E46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-01-2010, 03:04:13 PM   #5
SmokeyDP

United States

I sent a PM to the OP and haven't heard anything back. His last visit date was the day he made this post too...
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels
Old Wed, Dec-01-2010, 06:45:06 PM   #6
Gregs///M

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyDP View Post
I'm curious how this sounds too. I tried to install a set of 6.5" MB Quart speakers in the same fashion but there was a huge lack of midbass because the front of the speaker didn't seal with the front of the grill very well. Plus there isn't a lot of space for air movement behind the door panel.
Try checking your polarity of the speakers. If you wire one backward, you will greatly reduce your mid bass output. Try fading your front speakers to one side and see if the bass increases or decreases as your return to center. If your bass decreases, you've wired one speaker out of phase.

I've replaced the door speakers on many e46's while using the OEM HK amp and most of the time you will notice a slight improvement in sound quality but rarely in output and mid bass.

Using any high wattage speakers will surely make your system sound worse unless you replace OEM amp.

If you're looking for more output and mid bass out of your doors, replace the OEM amp. Replacing the OEM head unit also yields increased output and SQ but not as much as amp replacement.

Modifications:Dice Ipod Interface [] Focal Utopia 6.5in components speakers(front), Focal Utopia 5.25in component speakers (rear) []JL Audio W3V3 Sub Woofer []
Eclipse Xa5000 5 ch amplifier [] Clifford 50.7 two way pager [] Custom interior trim (OEM Alcantara) [] Dinan Stage I tune. []
Owner of Bavarian Restoration - www.BavRest.com
Jump to top Gregs///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-01-2010, 06:48:16 PM   #7
SmokeyDP

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmannino View Post
Try checking your polarity of the speakers. If you wire one backward, you will greatly reduce your mid bass output. Try fading your front speakers to one side and see if the bass increases or decreases as your return to center. If your bass decreases, you've wired one speaker out of phase.

I've replaced the door speakers on many e46's while using the OEM HK amp and most of the time you will notice a slight improvement in sound quality but rarely in output and mid bass.

Using any high wattage speakers will surely make your system sound worse unless you replace OEM amp.

If you're looking for more output and mid bass out of your doors, replace the OEM amp. Replacing the OEM head unit also yields increased output and SQ but not as much as amp replacement.
I have a 75x4 RMS amp with an aftermarket head unit. I had 6.5" MB Quart speakers up front and couldn't get them to sound right because they just wouldn't seal right. Tried disconnecting one or the other too. I ended up putting them in the rear deck and they sound great.
Old Thu, Dec-09-2010, 05:27:58 PM   #8
E46M3FF

In the garage:

United States

First of, this how to is a the best. all of it is 100 percent accurate. i just did my install yesterday and it came out super clean. Second it sucked for me because i dont have hk system so i had to fab my own rings so i can mount my speakers. my set up is alpin mrp m1000, mrp f300, spr 17c, and sps 600c. It sounds super clean.
Old Thu, Dec-09-2010, 06:28:34 PM   #9
SmokeyDP

United States

I did the same install last weekend using a set of Alpine SPS-600C 6.5" components I had around. They were installed in a 1997 Tacoma with a Sony aftermarket deck and sounded pretty good.

In the car they are getting powered by a 75x4 Rockford amp. They sound decent but not as good as they did in the truck. I feel that I am loosing a lot of mid-bass just from the way they are installed into the door panel instead of the actual metal door frame. I made sure that the front of them is sealed with acoustical sealer into the OEM rings too. I might try to use some dynomat on the actual door panels. The reviews of the SPR-17S vs the SPS-600C do suggest that the SPR-17S gives off a lot more bass though.

If you really wanted to go all out then this would be the way to do it:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=443244&page=4

Last edited by SmokeyDP; Thu, Dec-09-2010 at 06:32:02 PM.
Old Fri, Dec-10-2010, 03:23:12 PM   #10
E46M3FF

In the garage:

United States

spr 17c do give more bass but the sps 600c are more efficient speakers. what i notice is that the sps 600c in the rears are louder then the front, so i trun the gain down just a little bit and now they are equal loudness. Now when i compare them the spr are bassier