BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Oct-20-2010, 03:42:04 AM   #1
warmwater

Default Installing front speakers Alpine Type-R SPR-17S

Here is my question

Installing front speakers Alpine Type-R SPR-17S

Their are 3 speaker wires from the bmw HK

One for the 6.5, one for the 2.5, one for the tweet

I am guessing I do not need to use the 2way cross over provided by alpine since it is built in on the hk amp

My thougt is use the tweet wires to the new tweet

Cap the 2.5 wires

The 6.5 use the normal

I cannot believe how these speakers just fit purfect with out any mods other then soldiering the BMW connectors on to wires

I'll take some pics tommrow

Thanks in advanced
Jump to top warmwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Oct-20-2010, 05:07:16 AM   #2
12vElectronics

United States

Use

The

Crossovers
1999 M3 Alpine White/Mulberry- Sold
Jump to top 12vElectronics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-20-2010, 05:14:32 PM   #3
Gregs///M

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrywhopper View Post
Use

The

Crossovers
Unfortunately, you are wrong. The OP can certainly install his speakers without the Alpine crossovers. The crossovers in the OEM amp will work fine, I've done it hundreds of times.

Modifications:Dice Ipod Interface [] Focal Utopia 6.5in components speakers(front), Focal Utopia 5.25in component speakers (rear) []JL Audio W3V3 Sub Woofer []
Eclipse Xa5000 5 ch amplifier [] Clifford 50.7 two way pager [] Custom interior trim (OEM Alcantara) [] Dinan Stage I tune. []
Owner of Bavarian Restoration - www.BavRest.com
Jump to top Gregs///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-20-2010, 11:28:59 PM   #4
warmwater

Anyone Else on the Crossover

Alpine says if its 3.5K then it is fine otherwise use the 2way cross over provided by alpine.

So my next question is what is the HK Cross over setup?

Alpine wanted me to forget the 2 midrage wires and just use the woofer wire for the woofer and tweet via the 2way cross over, Anythoughts on this guys?
Jump to top warmwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-24-2010, 12:46:32 AM   #5
E46M3FF

In the garage:

United States

i have the same set of speakers that i had on my is300 but i havent installed them on my M yet. i didnt know if it was compatible. let me know how they sound.
Jump to top E46M3FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-24-2010, 01:16:51 AM   #6
gazosnic

United States

can you install aftermarket speakers in the m without an aftermarket amp (i dont have HK)?
Old Sun, Oct-24-2010, 06:07:21 PM   #7
E46M3FF

In the garage:

United States

Anyone has answers
Jump to top E46M3FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-24-2010, 07:50:10 PM   #8
intelone

Cambodia

There will be a gap in frequency response. You're going from a 3 way front to to a 2 way, eliminating a set of channel that contains specific frequencies. I'm assuming you will forgo the use of the high channel. If you use the high, and forgo the midrange you will have a gap also. I doubt that the hk amp would overlap freq on the high and midrange enough that you can forgo either one. That's why people who upgrade speakers, also upgrade the amp. You can't use the alpine crossover, because you have no amp to drive it with a full bandwidth signal so that it can split the signal to each speaker.

Jump to top intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-25-2010, 06:12:28 PM   #9
Gregs///M

Italy

I can assure you, despite what anyone else might recommend, you do not need to use the crossovers. Simply put, the crossover only has 1 input, which requires a full range signal. The crossover then splits the signal into midrange and high range signals for the midrange woofer and tweeter.
The three OEM wires are low pass, band pass, and high pass signals, none of which will provide a full range signal. Therefore, in order to avoid replacing the OEM amp, you will just have to use the outputs from the OEM amp.
The only Alpine speakers that I am aware of that have crossovers that accept bi-amp'd inputs are the SPX series and F1 series. These will accept the OEM low range and high pass inputs.

The midrange woofer from your set will be fine using the OEM amp, I've used speakers from all the top manufacturers paired with BMW audio systems using the OEM amp. However, if you feel extra hesitant using your particular set. You can try it without the crossovers and if you experience any popping, cracking, or burning smells from the tweeter at high volume, you should immediately hook up the high pass OEM wires to the inputs of the crossover and only connect the tweeter to the crossover. This will provide protection to the tweeter.

I've never had to do this with BMW audio systems and I'm confident the OEM crossover points and roll-off rate will provide protection for the Alpine tweeter. On a side note, do not be surprised if your system sounds worse. This is due to the low power output of the OEM amp. Your Alpine speakers might require more input wattage than the OEM amp can provide as they are considered OEM upgrades, not replacements. Hope this helps.

Modifications:Dice Ipod Interface [] Focal Utopia 6.5in components speakers(front), Focal Utopia 5.25in component speakers (rear) []JL Audio W3V3 Sub Woofer []
Eclipse Xa5000 5 ch amplifier [] Clifford 50.7 two way pager [] Custom interior trim (OEM Alcantara) [] Dinan Stage I tune. []
Owner of Bavarian Restoration - www.BavRest.com
Jump to top Gregs///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-02-2011, 09:11:05 PM   #10
M3Topless_n_SLO

United States

Default Re: Installing front speakers Alpine Type-R SPR-17S

So have you completed the install?

03 M3 E46 Cabrio
05 X5 E53 4.8is

Jump to top M3Topless_n_SLO is offline   Reply With Quote