BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Sep-01-2010, 12:16:03 AM   #1
blacke36m3

Default How do you remove the sticky stuff after taking off window tint?

I removed the window tint from my back windshield and it left a sticky residue that made seeing through the back of the car all blurry.. I tried using goo gone but it actually made it worse.. I've heard of people using razor blades but I don't really like that idea.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Sep-01-2010, 12:32:09 AM   #2
hcaleman

United States

Don't do blades, especially on the rear window. I recently removed all the tint from my wife's car and used our clothes steamer (a rowenta if it matters). In some areas part of the tint was already pulled leaving the hazy adhesive layer. With the steamer you need to hit that area for a while (a min or two) to heat it up then you can eventually lift up an edge of the adhesive layer and start pulling it away.

Once a corner starts to lift go back and forth over the surface as you pull to keep the heat evenly distributed so you can remove it in mostly one piece. It may take a while to get the hang of it but it works, you will undoubtedly burn your fingertips a few times but its not bad.

Afterwards followup with some rubbing alcohol on on a newspaper to clean off and residual adhesive and then stoner or similar glass treatment.

You can likely make it work with a cheap jiffy steamer from wal-mart.
Jump to top hcaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-01-2010, 01:00:48 AM   #3
Sammyzuko
Registered User & Abuser

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaleman View Post
Don't do blades, especially on the rear window. I recently removed all the tint from my wife's car and used our clothes steamer (a rowenta if it matters). In some areas part of the tint was already pulled leaving the hazy adhesive layer. With the steamer you need to hit that area for a while (a min or two) to heat it up then you can eventually lift up an edge of the adhesive layer and start pulling it away.

Once a corner starts to lift go back and forth over the surface as you pull to keep the heat evenly distributed so you can remove it in mostly one piece. It may take a while to get the hang of it but it works, you will undoubtedly burn your fingertips a few times but its not bad.

Afterwards followup with some rubbing alcohol on on a newspaper to clean off and residual adhesive and then stoner or similar glass treatment.

You can likely make it work with a cheap jiffy steamer from wal-mart.
How long did it take to remove? I bought a steamer for this purpose, but now I'm thinking it might be wiser to just pay $100 and have it professionally removed.
Old Wed, Sep-01-2010, 01:40:42 AM   #4
BMVV_E36M

United States

I used a hair blow drier and it worked amazing....
The tint came off in 1 piece and left absolutely no glue behind. You just have to work it real well as your pealing it off.

It was kind of a broken hair drier that did not blow much air but got things pretty hot.
Old Wed, Sep-01-2010, 01:46:17 AM   #5
hcaleman

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
How long did it take to remove? I bought a steamer for this purpose, but now I'm thinking it might be wiser to just pay $100 and have it professionally removed.
I don't think it is worth 100 bucks compared to the effort i spent. She has a rav4 so lots of windows to do (front windows, rear doors have split panes, cargo side windows, and back glass). I did it over two days, but only about two to three hours total in it.

If you have zero patience or free time on the weekend then maybe. We already had the steamer to deal with some clothes anyway.
Jump to top hcaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-01-2010, 01:47:31 AM   #6
hencini
Carlos is My Co-Pilot

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke36m3 View Post
I removed the window tint from my back windshield and it left a sticky residue that made seeing through the back of the car all blurry.. I tried using goo gone but it actually made it worse.. I've heard of people using razor blades but I don't really like that idea.

Hey, uh...... Regardless of how this issue turns out for you, let's see some more pics of that sedan...... Especially if the interior is Modena...

1998 M3/4/5 No mods, just maintenance

1983 CJ-7 No maintenance, just mods

1983 R65LS No intention of modding it, don't know how to maintain it

Jump to top hencini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-01-2010, 02:19:12 AM   #7
cheap3rl

In the garage:

United States

I hate removing window tint with a passion. The worst experience yet was on my m3 coupe. The side windows are no biggie, but the back window was a such a pain since it is such a small space. If I had decided whether that was going to tint them again I would've paid someone else. I used stoner invisible glass since it had ammonia in it and let it sit for a few minutes in the heat and that seemed to help the adhesive degrade. Some people said they used straight ammonia but I didn't feel like breathing that in for a few hours in the back of a 100 degree car. I used razor blades in some areas while using extreme caution not to hit the radio and defroster lines since mine left some stubborn tint.
Jump to top cheap3rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-01-2010, 02:20:07 AM   #8
JaTe
Jersey ---> Maryland

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVV_E36M View Post
I used a hair blow drier and it worked amazing....
The tint came off in 1 piece and left absolutely no glue behind. You just have to work it real well as your pealing it off.

It was kind of a broken hair drier that did not blow much air but got things pretty hot.
+1...ive removed tint from numerous cars using a heat gun...tint peels off easily with no glue residue.
'07 Honda Accord EX-L V6
'05 BMW M3 ZCP (SOLD!)
Jump to top JaTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-01-2010, 02:23:48 AM   #9
Sammyzuko
Registered User & Abuser

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap3rl View Post
I hate removing window tint with a passion. The worst experience yet was on my m3 coupe. The side windows are no biggie, but the back window was a such a pain since it is such a small space. If I had decided whether that was going to tint them again I would've paid someone else. I used stoner invisible glass since it had ammonia in it and let it sit for a few minutes in the heat and that seemed to help the adhesive degrade. Some people said they used straight ammonia but I didn't feel like breathing that in for a few hours in the back of a 100 degree car. I used razor blades in some areas while using extreme caution not to hit the radio and defroster lines since mine left some stubborn tint.
Did you use a steamer or blow dryer or heat gun of some sort?
Old Wed, Sep-01-2010, 03:40:59 AM   #10
cheap3rl

In the garage:

United States

Nope, not sure why since I had one I could have used. That ammonia really broke it down, but I used a razor blade in some parts. It would have been nice to have picked up some plastic razor blades since they are probably safer. It also makes it easier if you take out the hat rack, but if I were you I would return the steamer and pay to have it removed, haha.
Jump to top cheap3rl is offline   Reply With Quote