BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Aug-31-2010, 03:57:38 AM   #1
jayweezy

Philippines

Default Suspension? RTAB? FCAB? New Tires? Car feels like its floating/hydroplaning

Guys, I always search the forums and do a pretty good job of finding answers for myself, but this time I am pretty stumped.

When I ABRUPTLY turn left and right (like when indy racers warm up tires) it feels like my car is hydroplaning or floating on dry surfaces. I read it could be RTABs and I just changed them out with OEMs and symptoms are still there. If I GENTLY go left and right back and forth, steering isnt as responsive or crisp. It feels like theres too much play before the car responds. Feels like it takes a second for the car to "catch up" to what im doing.

Ive also read a few threads where brand new tires can cause DSC to act funny, my symptoms are pretty close to the "brand new tire" problem but its been at least 500 miles ive put on them (general exclaim UHP rear, michelin sports front) also PSI is correct all around. I did realize this "floating" almost immediately after I put the new rear tires on, but I dont know how coincidental something else messed up right when the new tires were put on, or if this is actually the problem.

Any suggestions on what to do next? My RTABS were in almost brand new condition so i feel like I wasted money in that trial. I want to do FCAB next, but seems like they are in good condition as well and i dont want to blow money if its not gonna fix it. Help please?
Old Tue, Aug-31-2010, 04:06:01 AM   #2
sfce46M3
Change is Good

United States

I assume you got an alignment. Are they all within specs?
Jump to top sfce46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-31-2010, 04:09:44 AM   #3
doozyj
Alpine White Z4M

United States

What do you consider correct tire pressure?

2003 Alpine White M3 - SOLD
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=322863
Jump to top doozyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-31-2010, 04:11:45 AM   #4
jayweezy

Philippines

im getting an alignment thursday, but i dont think it would cause the car to feel like it was floating would it? not to the extent that its doing it at least. i highly doubt after my alignment is complete that the problem will be fixed, but we'll see. do our cars have any steering issues?
Old Tue, Aug-31-2010, 04:12:09 AM   #5
kuksul08

United States

You should use the same tires front and rear

~*Mods*~: High Flow Carbon Fiber Strut Pipe Trim, Custom Aero DME Shift Linkage, Forged Titanium Race-Euro-Spec Illuminated Diff Sleeves, Catless Dog CSL Retrofit, Mod Bug Delete & More
S54 Valve Adjustment DIY, Excel, Print out: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY video (cam bolts, oil pump disk, etc.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
Jump to top kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-31-2010, 04:21:58 AM   #6
m3freak86
JERSEY STRONG

In the garage:

United States

How many miles? If you're up there, bet you $100 it's the lower steering column flexible coupling (guibo)

Here is the thread on it http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...19#post5997719. Part number 5, cost around 40 or so bucks. Read through the thread. You'll find your answer, a DIY, and where to buy the part.

2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatch

2004 Carbon Black///M3 (gone)
My Exhaust Obsession
My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2 View Post
bc i fckn :gt3: bro and I'm better than everyone
Jump to top m3freak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-31-2010, 05:02:53 AM   #7
sfce46M3
Change is Good

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayweezy View Post
im getting an alignment thursday, but i dont think it would cause the car to feel like it was floating would it? not to the extent that its doing it at least. i highly doubt after my alignment is complete that the problem will be fixed, but we'll see. do our cars have any steering issues?
You definitely need an alignment after replacing your RTABs. Get an alignment first and report back. Rear alignment affects the fronts.
Jump to top sfce46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-31-2010, 05:19:32 AM   #8
MPOWERD
Mod Hound!

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfce46M3 View Post
You definitely need an alignment after replacing your RTABs. Get an alignment first and report back. Rear alignment affects the fronts.
And definately run the same model tires front and back...

I had the same issue when I had different tires on the rear...

<> CSL Carbon Fiber Intake w/MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo, Euro Headers & Cats, K&N 69, Radenergie Carbon Fiber Strutbar
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills, Carbon Fiber Fender Grills, SMG Carbon Fiber Paddles, Vorsteiner 2 Sided CF VCSL Boot
<> EAS Slvr Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Blk Carbon Fiber SMG Dome, Carbon Fiber Console, & Blk/Slvr Steering Wheel Trim
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Engine Bay, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Valve Cover, RPI Intake Scoops, CarPC w/Nav/MP3/HD Radio/TV
<> Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Supersprint X-Pipe with Resonator, Ekarbon 1/2 Carbon Fiber Diffuser, DEPO Smoked Corners
<> 19x8.5 19x9.5 VMR V710s in HyperSilver, Painted Corner Reflectors, EAS Carbon Fiber Emblems, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent
<> Slvr CF Pedals, OEM 2-Tone Hardtop, Windscreen, & Alarm, 6K Headlights & HID Fogs, Blk Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Jump to top MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-31-2010, 05:20:01 AM   #9
Lee22

In the garage:

United States

I agree, you do need an alignment.
Old Tue, Aug-31-2010, 11:44:43 PM   #10
bvnmspt

Change out the FCAB. My car felt like it was floating until I changed out the FCAB. Visually, you won't be able to tell if the FCAB is bad. Usually, the passenger side goes bad first since it's right next to the exhaust manifold. This part is not too expensive so I would just go ahead and change this part out if you haven't already. They only last about 50-60k miles. Also, if you have never changed out the steering coupler, I would change this part out as well since they only last about 50K miles as well.

Tires shouldn't affect the handling to be adverse. When I got brand new tires, my car handled much better compared to when I had worn tires. After changing out the bushings, if you are still having issues, then the ball joints in your suspension is probably worn and would need to be replaced.

Jump to top bvnmspt is offline   Reply With Quote