BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Mon, Mar-29-2010, 05:15:42 PM   #1
rettags

United States

Default AA Gen 6 Heat Shield

There was a lot of talk regarding the open air filter used with the new HKS AA system. Personally, I haven't encountered any noticeable problems with this, and AA has mentioned that this new design was much less restrictive than the previous, especially at higher speed with the intake tube directing cold air to the filter. So this is NOT a knock on AA or their system!
Regardless, I wanted to try and make a heat shield to protect the filter from any high temps. If you've installed the kit then you should already know, the majority of heat is coming from the block and headers on the passenger side. Below the intake manifold, there's really nothing there besides the fuel lines, steering and misc lines (the beauty of the I-6). My original plan was to fit a metal heat shield protecting the filter. Then my friend mentioned the metal would just get hot, and retain the heat. So instead we went with ABS plastic. Wait, actually, I kind of got removed form this whole process. I gave my friend my car to have it aligned and corner balanced. And while he had it he asked if he could give it a shot at making the heat shield.
Long story short, here is what he made. It bolts up directly to the EXISTING bolts/holes on the manifold. It has an inlet for the air tube to shoot air directly in to the box. Also, it's closed on all sides except right under neath since there isn't anything giving off heat there. To finish it off, he wrapped it in the gold foil Highcroft uses on their Patron Acura (I think the same as what's sold at bimmerworld).
Let me know what you guys think. I haven't done a dyno to see the actual benefit of this yet. But it does provide some peace of mind and assurance that heatsoak is being limited.
Comments are definitely welcome. I'd love to know what everyone here thinks of this. And if you have any ideas to make this better, please share.
BTW - my friend that did my interior is the one who made it. He seriously is a one stop shop!

Crappy pics from his phone. Should have my car back tonight and will take some better quality pics this week.

Performance: AA Gen 6 Stg 2, Competition steering rack, AP headers, SS High Flow Cats, RE Diablo Track Edition, RE X pipe w/ EVC, UUC short shifter w/ DSSR, RE Race Brace, Dinan shock tower brace, TC Kline D/A 550/600, UUC ARCA, Volk CE28n, Brembo Monobloc BBK 380mm 6 pot/345mm 4 pot, AA clutch/flywheel
Interior: Sparco EVO 2 Plus, Safety Devices roll bar, Schroth Profi II, CF trim, Custom gauges in dash, Flat bottom wheel, Full interior wrapped in blk alcantara/red stitch and blk perf leather, custom door/rear panels, Halotron extinguisher, UUC e-brake, Defi, AEM
Misc: Pioneer, Stealth V1, M45 Jammers, Lightwerkz quad projectors

Journal from Euro to JDM
Jump to top rettags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-29-2010, 05:36:25 PM   #2
gojcaj
Cool like a fool in a swimming pool

Albania

Pretty cool. I wonder if the effect would be the same by putting the gold foil on the opposite side (the inside) of the heat shield. I only mention this because the gold looks so out of place. Well that's function over aesthetics. Love your car, keep up the good work!
Jump to top gojcaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-29-2010, 06:08:23 PM   #3
rettags

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojcaj View Post
Pretty cool. I wonder if the effect would be the same by putting the gold foil on the opposite side (the inside) of the heat shield. I only mention this because the gold looks so out of place. Well that's function over aesthetics. Love your car, keep up the good work!
I actually asked him to line the inside with the foil too. Not for aesthetic reasons, but to help protect some more. But I haven't seen it yet, so don't know if he did it.

Performance: AA Gen 6 Stg 2, Competition steering rack, AP headers, SS High Flow Cats, RE Diablo Track Edition, RE X pipe w/ EVC, UUC short shifter w/ DSSR, RE Race Brace, Dinan shock tower brace, TC Kline D/A 550/600, UUC ARCA, Volk CE28n, Brembo Monobloc BBK 380mm 6 pot/345mm 4 pot, AA clutch/flywheel
Interior: Sparco EVO 2 Plus, Safety Devices roll bar, Schroth Profi II, CF trim, Custom gauges in dash, Flat bottom wheel, Full interior wrapped in blk alcantara/red stitch and blk perf leather, custom door/rear panels, Halotron extinguisher, UUC e-brake, Defi, AEM

Journal from Euro to JDM
Old Mon, Mar-29-2010, 06:31:16 PM   #4
lftlane

United States

Looks good- I always thought those kits would work well with a vented hood (ie vorsteiner etc). Seems like the vents would almost sit right over the filter.
Jump to top lftlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-29-2010, 07:15:56 PM   #5
Choco

In the garage:

Very nice, I want one as well, see if your friend can make me one and I will pay for it
Jump to top Choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-29-2010, 07:58:06 PM   #6
ZimaMotorsports

United States

Same here PM me a price shipped!

Follow: Zima Motorsports

Blog: Zima Motorsports

NASA GTS-3 Nationals 2012 - 3rd place
NASA GTS-3 Nationals 2013 - 2nd place
Jump to top ZimaMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-29-2010, 08:01:35 PM   #7
rettags

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco View Post
Very nice, I want one as well, see if your friend can make me one and I will pay for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssracing10 View Post
Same here PM me a price shipped!
Are you guys gonna get me in trouble with the forum?! Just kidding (I hope). I'll shoot you guys a pm shortly.

Journal from Euro to JDM
Old Mon, Mar-29-2010, 08:10:47 PM   #8
rettags

United States

PS - There's a possibility of a group buy of 5 of more people. But I'm not sure if that falls in line with the forum rules since I'm not a sponsor/vendor on here, but I also wasn't posting this to make sales.

Mods, any help?

Journal from Euro to JDM

Last edited by rettags; Mon, Mar-29-2010 at 08:15:10 PM.
Old Mon, Mar-29-2010, 08:50:09 PM   #9
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Thats awesome and I was about to say that cover it with the gold foil but you already did that! Awesome Mikey!
EURO 04 M3 Current Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / Black Roundels / ///MFEST Badges / Depo Corners / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-31-2010, 10:01:40 PM   #10
rettags

United States

Thanks Ejaz, although I can't take much credit for making it!

Journal from Euro to JDM