BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Tue, Mar-09-2010, 02:27:32 AM   #1
dsm918

India

Smile Intermittent Starting Issue-Complete DIY-Starter Replacement (Intake Removal)

UPDATED on 09/18/2010

Before I get into the DIY, please see my old thread here..........

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=265568

That thread explains the issue I have been trying to resolve. The starting issue was only intermittent (once every 2 months or so) until recently for the past 3 weeks when it started happening everyday. Every morning I had to hold the key in the crank position for upto 30-45 secs. Really annoying !!

I noticed that no one has taken a video of this annoying issue so here it is.........the intermittent starting issue at it's worst. This was the longest I ever held the key in the crank position....upto 2 minutes Notice in the video that I pressed the clutch in & out a few times and you can hear the click for the clutch switch. This was to demonstrate that the clutch switch wasn't the problem. All dash lights are on, no dimming of any lights. The only thing you can hear is the whirring of the fuel pump.

If you follow the link above to my thread you'll see that I had tried everything and based on other forum member's experiences I had it narrowed down to the starter or the terminal wires. I figured before I spend the $$$$$ to go get a new starter I might as well clean the terminals and see if that is the issue. Tried that and it improved but did not go away. It just got progressively worse.

SO TAKE MY ADVISE..............IF YOU HAVE THESE SYMPTOMS JUST CHANGE THE DAMN STARTER!

I want to say thanks to forum member Mr. Wolfe who gave me the initial pointers on how to go about tackling this. The procedure does seem simple and straightforward enough but small nuisances like the hose plugs, crazy BMW hose clamps and random stuff can be a real pain and make your life really really miserable so I figured a detailed DIY was in place.

What you need:

1) The usual 10mm, 13mm, 14mm and 19mm sockets or wrenches.

2) MAF Cleaner

3) Regular Phillip Screwdriver

4) T30 Torx Screwdriver

5) Needle Nose Pliers (Very Very important)

6) Dielectric Grease

7) Wirebrush

This pictures gives a overview of what all needs to be opened.

1a) Disconnect the +ve Battery terminal located on the left side near the void space

1b) +ve Termial Disconnected

2) Unplug the MAF sensor located near the Air Filter

3a&b) Unbolt the Sway Bar

4) Unbolt the Dip Stick using a 10mm Wrench

5a) Twist off the three tabs to take the cabin filter housing cover off

5b) Unclip the conduit holding the 2 wires. Also, shown are the 4 Torx screws that need to be opened to get the cabin filter housing out

5c) Shows you what the Torx screw looks like

5d) Take out all 4 screws using a T30 Torx Screwdriver

5e) Pull the housing towards you and it comes right off

03.5 CB/Black M3
00 GSXR 600 (Track Star)
90 Nissan 300ZXTT
92 Eclipse GSX - 11.841 @ 117.11

Last edited by dsm918; Wed, Dec-07-2011 at 12:59:24 PM.
Jump to top dsm918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Mar-09-2010, 02:28:12 AM   #2
dsm918

India

6a) Unscrew the 2 hose clamps located on the intake hose

6b) Push off the 2 clamps holding the filter housing

6c) Pull off the complete intake hose. You might have to wiggle it a little to get it off

6d) The plastic piece in front of the Air Filter housing comes off if you pull to the right and then pull it up

6e) Picture says it all

7a) Pull out this hose as shown. This hose is located right next to the intake hose.

7b) Hose off

7c) Remove this hose using the same method as described in 7a. This is located on top of the intake near the cabin filter housing

Here is a video as well >>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XHbkecsKFU

7d) Hose off

7e) This hose was a ***** to take off. Use the same method as 7a and 7c except you might need pliers to press it in.

8) This figure shows the 3 other attachments that need to be released. Located under the intake

9) Release the hoses from the clamps located between the intake and the firewall. All you need to do is pull them off so they are clear

10) Hose clamps can be very very confusing if you don't know how. Follow the instructions in the picture and watch the video

Video>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXTU_0qaVqU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCSzI4w9r8w

11a) Intake off

11b) Shows all the connection at the bottom of the intake so you have a good idea of what all needs to be disconnected before you yank the intake off

11c) I drew this using two pictures. The picture on top shows the bottom of the intake with all the connections that need to come off before you attempt to pull off the intake.I took this picture with the intake totally off the car.

The bottom picture shows the corresponding locations of where they connect

NOTE - Treat these as 2 separate pictures and it will be much easier to understand. I thought this picture was important so you know what all to disconnect before you end up pulling on the intake with something still connected.

PLUG = This is the same plug I described in Figure 7e

10mm Nuts= These are the same ones I have show in Figure 8

Slide Off = I have shown this connection in Figure 8

Drain = This has to be released by either pulling from the outside of the intake or by putting your hand inside the intake and pushing it out

Power wire = This is the only connection that is not visible and you have to feel your way to it and unbolt it from the starter. Figure 11d shows a partial view of this with the intake in place. I just shoved the camera under the intake and clicked to take this picture (see below)

Here is another picture of the item I titled "Drain". It is hose that connects to the bottom of the intake. It clicks into place. To remove it, I just pulled it.

UPDATE 05/18/10

EDIT PICTURE 11d)

Thanks to user "wingsAA" for the tip. The power wire does not need to be opened blindly. Apparently the wire comes off the intake clamp. Follow pictures below:

Image of the clip holding the hose

Image of the clip

Just pull up on the outside of the clip. It will slide upwards as shown below:

Here is the clip fully removed

Here is a video of how this clip comes off >>>>>>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR3Ra4nT-CY
Once the intake is off, use this tool (Gear Wrench 9221 Torx Ratcheting Wrench E10 x E12) to open the 2 bolts located behind the starter. Make sure you buy the ratcheting wrench or you will spend an hour opening it.

Here is a picture of the Torx Wrench. You need Size 12. You can get this exact wrench on Amazon.

What gave me grief on the starter was not the bolts as much but the pin that the starter slides into. That pin was corroded and even though I had the bolts off, I had to hammer the starter around to get it loose. Make sure you wirebrush that pin clean before putting on the new starter.

The red circles show the location of the 2 bolts and the red square shows the Pin that gave me grief.

Line up the new starter and tighten the 2 bolts Connect the 3 wires to the starter and tighten the bolts.

Also spray down the MAF cleaner and the intake with the MAF cleaner

ASSEMBLY

Put the intake back on and push on it till all 6 hoses are fully in. Make sure all 6 hose clamps are already in place as described in the picture below or you'll not be able to lock them in place. Follow the procedure shown in the picture below to lock the clamps.

Video >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5zFMmfM9Y0

-Make sure all connections below the intake are connected and the two 10mm bolts are lined up and tightened as well.

-Plug back the hoses that you had removed on the top and the side (Figure 7a and 7c)

-Remember to plug the MAF sensor back in.

NOTE-When you connect the big hose to the intake a good way to line it up is to make sure that the two marks (one on the intake and the other on the hose) line up (see picture below)

All done

03.5 CB/Black M3
00 GSXR 600 (Track Star)
90 Nissan 300ZXTT
92 Eclipse GSX - 11.841 @ 117.11

Last edited by dsm918; Wed, Mar-02-2011 at 12:40:53 AM.
Jump to top dsm918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-09-2010, 05:57:57 AM   #3
nitro3421

United States

Wow, this is possibly the best DIY I've seen on here. The exact instructions really make it possible for just about anyone to do this. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
2016 Audi SQ5 (wife's car)

Sold:
96' DV M3, 01' TIAG M3, 02 CB M3, 11' e92 M3, 96' AW M3
Jump to top nitro3421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-09-2010, 06:12:49 AM   #4
playskool1
NorCal's S54 VANOS/Valve Adjust./Rod Bearing guy

In the garage:

Philippines

props to OP for the most detailed DIY i have ever seen! +1
Full Beisan VANOS overhaul, TMS Subframe Reinforcement, WPC rod bearings = bulletproof
Jump to top playskool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-09-2010, 07:46:52 AM   #5
Crayola

Taiwan

i'm going to be referring back to this a lot in the future. One of the best write ups I've seen in a while!
Old Tue, Mar-09-2010, 08:02:33 AM   #6
mpegripper

United Kingdom

i was gonna do one when i replace that cable that u were cleaning (long story) but u did it for me now, thanks
Jump to top mpegripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-09-2010, 08:24:58 AM   #7
mickaphely

In the garage:

Egypt

Old Tue, Mar-09-2010, 12:11:34 PM   #8
Mr. Wolfe
Anti-Bling

In the garage:

United States

Fantastic DIY! I told you, this is one of those jobs that seem like a pain, but if you were to do again, it would take 1/4 of the time.

This needs to be a sticky because in the past few months, I have helped half a dozen people with this same exact issue. These steps are outlined perfectly and this certainly is a weak spot on the M3.

GREAT WRITE UP!!!!!!! Now I don't have to keep PMing everyone directions. haha

Mr. Wolfe

2006 Interlagos/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT
1987 Turquoise Green / Imola Red 325is Mtech1 w/ M62 V8 Swap
2003 Alpine/Cinnamon ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
2003 Steel Gray/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
Jump to top Mr. Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-09-2010, 12:56:33 PM   #9
MadeInPhilly

United States

thanks for the DIY. Now I know where the starter is and how to get to it.
Jump to top MadeInPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-09-2010, 01:07:33 PM   #10
ken o

United States

Nice write up. This will be handy for any access to that side of the engine.
Jump to top ken o is offline   Reply With Quote