BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jan-09-2010, 07:22:18 PM   #1
Daydrea///M
/\/\/\/\/\/\/ in my ///

United States

Default Adjusting Factory Alarm Sensitivity

As much knowledge as I've been able to collect thought these forums, I haven't been able to find any info on how to adjust the sensitivity of the factory alarm system. It is waaay to sensitive and everytime I park it on the street all it takes i a bus or truck to roll by to set it off. I've had neighbors complain and my main worry now is someone messing with my car when it goes off...

Is this something that can be done DIY or am I gonna have to go to the stealer to fix this?

Thanks!
Jump to top Daydrea///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-09-2010, 08:33:06 PM   #2
e46fanatic...

United States

I don't know about adjusting the sensitivity, but if you press the alarm button twice when you arm it instead of once you take out one sensor, but I forgot which one. You can try that first.
Jump to top e46fanatic... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-09-2010, 08:39:12 PM   #3
roobe16
Certified Naysayer

Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46fanatic... View Post
I don't know about adjusting the sensitivity, but if you press the alarm button twice when you arm it instead of once you take out one sensor, but I forgot which one. You can try that first.
That would be the interior motion sensor that is disabled with pressing the key fob lock twice. I'm guessing it's the tilt sensor that is causing your false alarms with vibrations. OP you might want to make sure the tilt sensor in the trunk is firmly secured.
Old Sat, Jan-09-2010, 10:36:09 PM   #4
Cutlass476

In the garage:

United States

I thought when you push the lock button a second time it disables the "tilt" sensor so you can have the vehicle towed while being locked. I didn't think you could disable the interior motion sensor.
SOLD2006 Blk/Blk M3, 6spd, Nav, Premium & Cold Wx pkgs., HK, Park Distance, SS Race w/black chrome tips, Autosolutions SSK, CDV delete, Rogue Xmsn mounts, GSB Clutch pedal, HRE 441's/Gloss Black centers w/polished lip-9.5" front with 245/35-19 & 10" rear with 285/30-19
Jump to top Cutlass476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-10-2010, 05:32:18 AM   #5
ILLuSioNz X
Built, not bought

In the garage:

India

subscribed-would like to know this as well.
Suspension/Braking: TRM Coilovers 780F/895R | OEM Front Reinforcement Plates | Turner Rear Reinforcement Plates | RE Rear Spring Perch Reinforcement | GC Race FCABs | PF RTABs | Adjustable Rear LCAs | Turner Subframe Reinforcement (installed by Coinage) | Turner Solid Subframe, Differential, Motor, and Transmission Mounts
Braking: Rotora 4-Piston Caliper Kit | S/S Lines| Ate Dot4 Fluid | Powerslot F+R Rotors | Various Brake Pads, lol

The Official Supercharger Kit Maintenance/Replacement Parts Thread (VF, AA and ESS)
Check out my for sale threads:► ILLuSioNzX Garage Sale ◄|(2) H&R 2.5" 650lb/in coilover springs - $85|E46 M3 RHD Euro Headers & Euro Cats|WTB: Solid Bushings!
Jump to top ILLuSioNz X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-10-2010, 06:43:12 AM   #6
TheArchitect

United States

It has gotten so bad for me that now I lock the car with the key so the alarm doesnt arm... It so sensitive now that its cold out that it goes off all the time.... I would really wanna know how to do this, its just embarrazing, and locking the car by hand just sucks....
Jump to top TheArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-10-2010, 05:29:06 PM   #7
roobe16
Certified Naysayer

Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass476 View Post
I thought when you push the lock button a second time it disables the "tilt" sensor so you can have the vehicle towed while being locked. I didn't think you could disable the interior motion sensor.
Sorry you were right too, when pressing the lock button a second time it disables the interior motion sensor (useful if you lock the car with the windows open or a pet/child inside) and the trunk tilt sensor (useful if having the vehicle towed, like you said).
Reference Page 29 of the owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
It has gotten so bad for me that now I lock the car with the key so the alarm doesnt arm... It so sensitive now that its cold out that it goes off all the time.... I would really wanna know how to do this, its just embarrazing, and locking the car by hand just sucks....
A common problem with the OEM alarm system is the hood sensor switch malfunctioning or getting stuck. Near the positive battery terminal under the hood there is a pin that is pushed down when the hood is down. If the pin is stuck or broken, while the car is locked the alarm system thinks someone is opening the hood and the alarm goes off. Try disconnecting or fiddling with the hood sensor switch - if that fixes your false alarm problem, the switch is a cheap thing to replace.
Old Sun, Jan-10-2010, 07:34:24 PM   #8
TheArchitect

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by roobe16 View Post
Sorry you were right too, when pressing the lock button a second time it disables the interior motion sensor (useful if you lock the car with the windows open or a pet/child inside) and the trunk tilt sensor (useful if having the vehicle towed, like you said).
Reference Page 29 of the owner's manual.

A common problem with the OEM alarm system is the hood sensor switch malfunctioning or getting stuck. Near the positive battery terminal under the hood there is a pin that is pushed down when the hood is down. If the pin is stuck or broken, while the car is locked the alarm system thinks someone is opening the hood and the alarm goes off. Try disconnecting or fiddling with the hood sensor switch - if that fixes your false alarm problem, the switch is a cheap thing to replace.

Thanks man, I'll def check that out... Also, now that I've been reading about the trunk sensor and stuff made me think that maybe putting trunk bike rack on my car might have something to do with it ... It's one one of the best trunk racks and the bike is only 15 lbs... Do u think that that might have something to do with it??? Thanks once again
Jump to top TheArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-10-2010, 08:14:43 PM   #9
franklin

United States

+1 on "A common problem with the OEM alarm system is the hood sensor switch malfunctioning or getting stuck" I almost had my M lit on fire as the folks living around me had torches and pitchforks as my alarm was going off for no reason... it WAS the hood sensor...
Jump to top franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-10-2010, 11:26:44 PM   #10
Daydrea///M
/\/\/\/\/\/\/ in my ///

United States

Took a look at my hood sensor switch as well..... Looks to be ok (i unplugged and re-plugged it a few times)

Gently nugged my bumper, no alarm... so far so good.

Problem is I can't bring myself to hit it any harder than a light tap to really test it out...
Jump to top Daydrea///M is offline   Reply With Quote