BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Wed, Dec-09-2009, 03:20:26 PM   #1
rettags

United States

Default Rettags - '06 E46 M3

2006 - Jet Black - 6MT - All options except Nav

I've been meaning to put together a journal for a while. Since it's well into my "build" I'll try to give a summary of what was done along the way, what was changed/swapped again, and where the car is heading. I'm going to try and do it chronologically, but my brain has been fried for years!

My wife wanted me to sell my bikes ('06 R1, '07 1098), so the agreement was I could buy any car I wanted. It was between this M3, a C6 Z06, C63 AMG, Lexus IS-F and E92 M3. Since the latter three meant I would have to wait for their official releases, and the Z06 sits too low and I wasn't a fan of the interior, I wound up with my M. I purchased my M3 in October 2007. It was 1 yr old and picked it up from someone out in Boston.

Here it is in stock form

My first thought was to get some new wheels along with AP headers, SS high flow cats, Meisterschaft sec 2, Eisenmann race muffler, DA pulleys, filter and tune. So I called Vorsteiner for the wheels, and got on the horn with Sean at DA for the rest.

I don't have pictures of the power parts, or even the dyno. But it put down 297 rwhp. That's EXTREMELY disappointing considering how much I spent on the parts!

Yikes, this thing looks like a 4x4!!!

Good looking wheels IMO, but HEAVY!! I always wanted a nice lip, which is also why I went with these.

As soon as I put these wheels on I realized I needed some suspension work. I went through all the choices and decided to go with the Billstein PSS10 for the time being. It turned out to be a very good suspension for street, and adequate for the few track days I see. At the same time I installed the UUC adjustable rear control arms.

As it sat with PSS10, and some shots of suspension.

I then added Dinan front and rear braces

That was the end of 2007. I put her away for the winter and started the waiting process for the warm weather to return.

Performance: AA Gen 6 Stg 2, Competition steering rack, AP headers, SS High Flow Cats, RE Diablo Track Edition, RE X pipe w/ EVC, UUC short shifter w/ DSSR, RE Race Brace, Dinan shock tower brace, TC Kline D/A 550/600, UUC ARCA, Volk CE28n, Brembo Monobloc BBK 380mm 6 pot/345mm 4 pot, AA clutch/flywheel
Interior: Sparco EVO 2 Plus, Safety Devices roll bar, Schroth Profi II, CF trim, Custom gauges in dash, Flat bottom wheel, Full interior wrapped in blk alcantara/red stitch and blk perf leather, custom door/rear panels, Halotron extinguisher, UUC e-brake, Defi, AEM
Misc: Pioneer, Stealth V1, M45 Jammers, Lightwerkz quad projectors

Journal from Euro to JDM
Jump to top rettags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Dec-09-2009, 03:49:03 PM   #2
rettags

United States

I decided to start the new year with some new parts. Since it was still winter I figured it was a good time to in tall an Eclipse Navigation and VCSL console, along with LeatherZ shift and e-brake boots.

When I decided to buy this car one of the main reasons was because I thought the body was perfect. With previous cars I changed bumpers, rockers, etc. So once again, I changed my mind and decided to experiment with some add-ons
Once spring hit I installed my Vorsteiner VRS lip

Then I continued my exterior mods with the VCSL bootlid and Vorsteiner GTS3 diffuser. Regardless of what direction I take the car, I think the CSL trunk is a great look!!

I started thinking of getting more power into this car. So I began researching the different s/c and turbo options. I also started to prep the car for the extra power. I had TKX do the rear subframe reinforcement kit from Turner, as well as Powerflex RTABs and FCABs that I bought from Obioban. I knew I would need to do something with the brakes as well. A lot of people say just get better pads, lines, fluid, etc. I love Brembo and whenever possible use their kits on my cars/bikes. So I went with the 380mm 6 piston,345mm 4 piston monobloc kit. Unfortunately I sold my Vorsteiner wheels around the same time. So I had to install 18mm front and 10mm rear spacers to fit the OEM 19's over these beasts.

Stopping power is great and there is very little to no fade with these. Especially running them on the street and N/A. I know it was overkill doing front and rear (and the 380mm for that matter), but it's my car and love the look.

Performance: AA Gen 6 Stg 2, Competition steering rack, AP headers, SS High Flow Cats, RE Diablo Track Edition, RE X pipe w/ EVC, UUC short shifter w/ DSSR, RE Race Brace, Dinan shock tower brace, TC Kline D/A 550/600, UUC ARCA, Volk CE28n, Brembo Monobloc BBK 380mm 6 pot/345mm 4 pot, AA clutch/flywheel
Interior: Sparco EVO 2 Plus, Safety Devices roll bar, Schroth Profi II, CF trim, Custom gauges in dash, Flat bottom wheel, Full interior wrapped in blk alcantara/red stitch and blk perf leather, custom door/rear panels, Halotron extinguisher, UUC e-brake, Defi, AEM

Journal from Euro to JDM
Old Wed, Dec-09-2009, 03:57:01 PM   #3
rettags

United States

After staring at my current setup I grew very tired of that lip, and knew I needed some nicer wheels. So I ordered a full carbon VCSL bumper with 1-piece race splitter, and the full carbon power dome hood. I ordered the bumper in 2x2 twill, but received a 1x1. But so is the business of Vorsteiner I guess. They also refused to send me the correct one until I sent back the incorrect. Being the lazy guy I am, I just kept the 1x1. I also had the new BBS CH black series wheels on order.

A big improvement over OEM

Contemplated painting, but thought I would stay with the exposed carbon for a while.

Journal from Euro to JDM
Old Wed, Dec-09-2009, 03:57:36 PM   #4
05m3smg

United States

Looks nice, How much did them brembos run you?
Old Wed, Dec-09-2009, 04:16:31 PM   #5
rettags

United States

NO that the car was ready to go F/I, I went ahead and purchased a used AA Gen 2 Stage 3 with a/w injection. I don't remember who the seller was, but he was a real d0uche. It turned out I needed to order another $800 in parts to complete the kit he sold me. So for those of you buying used, it may pay to have the seller send the kit back to the manufacturer to go over everything. It will save you time and money in the long run.

I got pretty descent numbers with the setup. Remember, I was only at 297 rwhp when N/A. I was now putting down 432rwhp/319tq with SAE correction and a little over 450rwhp without. That's over 130 more to the wheels, for LESS than what I spent on the exhaust setup but I guess you need a freer flowing exhaust, and the weight reduction is nice too.

Journal from Euro to JDM
Old Wed, Dec-09-2009, 04:19:17 PM   #6
rettags

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05m3smg View Post
Looks nice, How much did them brembos run you?
Don't remember exactly. I got them from Vorsteiner, but I think slightly under $6k.

Journal from Euro to JDM
Old Wed, Dec-09-2009, 04:29:41 PM   #7
rettags

United States

Last mod for 2008 was adding the slim line JL speaker/box and amp. I like some bass with my music and this did the trick without taking up too much space. This setup didn't last too long though. I'm still in the process of figuring out a good setup that adds bass but doesn't require adding too much weight. If anyone wants the sub/box and amp, let me know

Journal from Euro to JDM
Old Wed, Dec-09-2009, 04:46:33 PM   #8
rettags

United States

So now it was winter time, which means new projects! I took the opportunity to add the VCSL carbon roof, Sparco Evo 2 Plus seats, Safety Devices Rollbar, Volk CE28N, rear seat delete, schroth 6 point harnesses, custom console, custom door panels, custom dash with integrated gauges, headliner/pillars/deck, V1 etched mirror and flat bottom wheel.

A good friend of mine does all the interior work, so it was an easy decision to leave my car at his shop for the winter. Everything was done in black alcantara. The seats have perforated leather insert, and the rear seats were done to match. I wound up pulling out the rear seats when the rollbar went in and had him do the rear seat delete. The delete is an alcantara piece with a heavy duty backing. He secured it with snaps, which allows me to put it down easily. And with the heavy duty backing, I can load track wheels in without worrying about damaging anything.

Roof panel install

Stock wheel and seats

Rollbar mounting points welded in and bar installed

And a bunch of interior shots

Journal from Euro to JDM
Old Wed, Dec-09-2009, 04:49:43 PM   #9
rettags

United States

A couple shots of the Volks...I LOVE these wheels! Light and very strong!

I also added TMS's stud conversion.

Journal from Euro to JDM

Last edited by rettags; Wed, Dec-09-2009 at 06:37:29 PM.
Old Wed, Dec-09-2009, 06:49:56 PM   #10
rettags

United States

With the new year brought some more changes. Although I cut back a lot from the previous two. My goal this year was to make it to some track days and to further set up the car to my liking.
I picked up a set of CCW C10 18" wheels. For all those members who said "you can't fit the 380mm bbk with an 18" wheel", I say you're wrong. Jon at CCW was extremely helpful. He had the wheels made and shipped to me within a week. I added Nitto NT-01 r compound tires to the package as well. I didn't use these at my first track day of the year since it was a very wet day at Limerock. But I did get to use them at Pocono (North). They're very sticky, and even with the s/c it was nearly impossible to lose grip.

Journal from Euro to JDM