BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Oct-03-2009, 02:23:24 AM   #1
FishingCrue

United States

Default Hardtop Headliner Removal

My hardtop's headliner is sagging and I want to take it apart to re-glue it. Has anyone ever taken the hardtop apart? It's sagging like a 1974 Lincoln and needs to be re-glued. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a hardtop disassembly DIY? (I tried searching but didn't find much). Alternatively, anyone in the Miami area know a good interior shop who could do this on the cheap? Thanks in advance.
Jump to top FishingCrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, May-22-2010, 12:55:54 PM   #2
FishingCrue

United States

Just put my hardtop back on for the summer and have the same question. So I'm reviving this poor orphaned thread. Anyone know?
Jump to top FishingCrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-22-2010, 09:15:11 PM   #3
deadlysyns

United States

remove the rubber stripping on the edges and you should be able to get the headliner out.

You will have to use the correct glue or it will seep through the thin headliner fabric.
Old Sun, Dec-19-2010, 05:05:28 PM   #4
M Pete

United States

Fish, did you ever get this completed? If so what glue did you use?

I just put my HT on today since it's chilly and gloomy out and noticed the fabric has pulled away. Probably from being in the garage with all the temp changes over the past three months.
Old Sun, Dec-19-2010, 05:20:04 PM   #5
M Pete

United States

Additionally, if anyone knows, I looked around on realoem to see about just buying a new one. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=54&fg=20 is the link.

#11 is the liner, but then is lists #12 as a covering left @ right. So if I read this right the headliner doesn't come with the fabric already on it? What a crock. so it looks like you are better off just re-gluing your fabric since you would have to do it to a new one anyway.
Old Sun, Dec-19-2010, 05:24:53 PM   #6
deadlysyns

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pete View Post
Additionally, if anyone knows, I looked around on realoem to see about just buying a new one. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=54&fg=20 is the link.

#11 is the liner, but then is lists #12 as a covering left @ right. So if I read this right the headliner doesn't come with the fabric already on it? What a crock. so it looks like you are better off just re-gluing your fabric since you would have to do it to a new one anyway.
Contact one of the guys from Tischer to make sure.
Old Sun, Dec-19-2010, 10:31:46 PM   #7
MPOWERD
Mod Hound!

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Hardtop Headliner Removal

WAIT... Dont folow any of the adivce for headliner removal in this thread...

Hardtops (for verts) have a very different procedure for removing the head liner...

PM me your email address and I will send you the info on how to remove and reinstall...

<> CSL Carbon Fiber Intake w/MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo, Euro Headers & Cats, K&N 69, Radenergie Carbon Fiber Strutbar
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills, Carbon Fiber Fender Grills, SMG Carbon Fiber Paddles, Vorsteiner 2 Sided CF VCSL Boot
<> EAS Slvr Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Blk Carbon Fiber SMG Dome, Carbon Fiber Console, & Blk/Slvr Steering Wheel Trim
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Engine Bay, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Valve Cover, RPI Intake Scoops, CarPC w/Nav/MP3/HD Radio/TV
<> Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Supersprint X-Pipe with Resonator, Ekarbon 1/2 Carbon Fiber Diffuser, DEPO Smoked Corners
<> 19x8.5 19x9.5 VMR V710s in HyperSilver, Painted Corner Reflectors, EAS Carbon Fiber Emblems, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent
<> Slvr CF Pedals, OEM 2-Tone Hardtop, Windscreen, & Alarm, 6K Headlights & HID Fogs, Blk Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Jump to top MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-28-2010, 07:04:13 AM   #8
jdub765

United States

Could you post the info here too? It'd be helpful to have in case one of us ever needs the info as well
Jump to top jdub765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-23-2011, 04:01:51 PM   #9
taosx5

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pete View Post
Fish, did you ever get this completed? If so what glue did you use?

I just put my HT on today since it's chilly and gloomy out and noticed the fabric has pulled away. Probably from being in the garage with all the temp changes over the past three months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingCrue View Post
My hardtop's headliner is sagging and I want to take it apart to re-glue it. Has anyone ever taken the hardtop apart? It's sagging like a 1974 Lincoln and needs to be re-glued. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a hardtop disassembly DIY? (I tried searching but didn't find much). Alternatively, anyone in the Miami area know a good interior shop who could do this on the cheap? Thanks in advance.
Hey all, I am new to the M3 forum and have only had mine for a few weeks. Never even had the top off yet due to winter conditions. But same thing is happening and I had been unable to find much info on it so was curious what fixes might be available. My fabric is in great shape but is so thin I am afraid most adhesives would bleed thru. Thanks in advance for any advise.
Jump to top taosx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-23-2011, 06:04:00 PM   #10
MPOWERD
Mod Hound!

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub765 View Post
Could you post the info here too? It'd be helpful to have in case one of us ever needs the info as well
Cant as it is in the TIS manual. I have PDF manuals showing proper procedures for removing the headliner...

I can email them to anyone that needs them, but I have not removed it myself, as I have not worked on my headliner yet.

The bodyshop that broke my hardtop trim did the work for me instead for free...

<> CSL Carbon Fiber Intake w/MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo, Euro Headers & Cats, K&N 69, Radenergie Carbon Fiber Strutbar
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills, Carbon Fiber Fender Grills, SMG Carbon Fiber Paddles, Vorsteiner 2 Sided CF VCSL Boot
<> EAS Slvr Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Blk Carbon Fiber SMG Dome, Carbon Fiber Console, & Blk/Slvr Steering Wheel Trim
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Engine Bay, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Valve Cover, RPI Intake Scoops, CarPC w/Nav/MP3/HD Radio/TV
<> Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Supersprint X-Pipe with Resonator, Ekarbon 1/2 Carbon Fiber Diffuser, DEPO Smoked Corners
<> 19x8.5 19x9.5 VMR V710s in HyperSilver, Painted Corner Reflectors, EAS Carbon Fiber Emblems, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent
<> Slvr CF Pedals, OEM 2-Tone Hardtop, Windscreen, & Alarm, 6K Headlights & HID Fogs, Blk Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Jump to top MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote