BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Jul-19-2009, 02:05:52 AM   #1
ricochetron

United States

Default Car simply wont turn over, worked yesterday!

Never had this problem before. Went out to the garage to start the car, SMG in neutral and got nothing. All lights come on like normal but doesn't engage starter. Battery is a few months old. I read about re-programming the key and still no luck after a successful program with confirmation unlock of doors.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Jump to top ricochetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jul-19-2009, 02:57:56 AM   #2
///m1ka

United States

So does it crank and not fire or does nothing at all?

If it cranks and doesnt fire check to see if you get spark and also check to see if your getting fuel to the injectors.

If it doesn't do anything most likely battery or connection issues.

Also check starter and selonoid.

YOu really have to start with the basics and go from there.
Old Sun, Jul-19-2009, 03:18:21 AM   #3
JGallardo

United States

When you unlock the car, can you hear the smg pump go on? It may be your smg relay.
Jump to top JGallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-19-2009, 03:42:12 AM   #4
ricochetron

United States

Car makes the relay noise but no engine turnover. It acts exactly like when you forget and try to start it in first (on an SMG car). Simply nothing, no clicking sound. I've tried to start it a couple dozen times with no luck, moving the shifter from first to neutral, not that it would make a difference before starting.

Update, after reading a few posts I went out to try again. First try, nothing. Second try, engine starts. I have read many issues pertaining to this issue with everything from starter problems to SMG relays and what not. Has anyone found out exactly what this delayed starting problem ended up being?

Last edited by ricochetron; Sun, Jul-19-2009 at 04:00:06 AM.
Old Sun, Jul-19-2009, 04:33:17 AM   #5
nrubenstein

On my old car, intermittent no-start turned out to be the relay. After the third or fourth time it got towed to the dealer, they figured it out. The relay is so cheap that I would just replace it now. (Honestly, SMG drivers should make replacing the relay part of regular maintenance.)
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan - GC/Bilstein, Sway
1989 325is Alpinweiß/Black - S50B32 (321hp), GC/Koni, Sways, BBS RX, Hybrid C61-2, Sundown SA-12, JBL MS-8
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black - S62B50 in progress...

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamondschwartz/Black 5spd - Korman lengthened front driveshaft, Cam, Bilstein, H&R Sport, snow chains.

Jump to top nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-19-2009, 04:48:22 AM   #6
ricochetron

United States

What relay do I ask for at the dealer? The SMG one? Where is it located?
Old Thu, Sep-17-2009, 12:56:40 PM   #7
ricochetron

United States

This starting issue has reared it's ugly head again. MEDIC...

Yesterday I tried to start the car. Nothing but a light show. Tried for hours (6). I went as far as pulling every fuse in the fuse box to make sure it was'nt a bad connection or something (got desparate). Gave up at 2:00 am.

This morning still a no-go. Finally tried the method of holding the key in the on position for about twenty to thirty seconds than taking the key out. I re-inserted the key and the thing finally fired right up like there was never a problem.

What is this telling me? Where is this problem originating from? BTW, I did take it to a dealer previously and was told that everything seems to be fine and paid $49.75 for their efforts. Unsuccessful diagnostics suck. Money down the toilet. I want to narrow things down and get this issue fixed.
Old Thu, Sep-17-2009, 01:08:43 PM   #8
BAV_M_PWR

Reputation: 0 BAV_M_PWR has a reputation beyond reputeBAV_M_PWR has a reputation beyond reputeBAV_M_PWR has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Rico...may sound silly...but are you positiviely sure that your ground cable is connected
TIGHTLY to the battery? Maybe clean both terminals, and reconnect? If they aren't tight,
you will get the "light show", but it won't turn over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Ali View Post
What's lesson #2, oh Lord of Ridiculous Posts
Jump to top BAV_M_PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-17-2009, 01:26:52 PM   #9
m3 hal

United States

Search "intermittent starting". This is a somewhat common issue and happens to me at least 3-4 times a year. What works for me is to try to crank, remove key and flip key, reinsert and try to crank, repeat. Never takes more than 30 seconds or so.
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-17-2009, 02:33:24 PM   #10
ricochetron

United States

I checked the connections and they were extremely tight. The battery voltage at the terminals was 12.39v. Sight window was black not green but I had been trying to start the car for 5 hours before checking voltage state.

A theory has just come to mind. When people are holding the key on for several seconds if not minutes at a time to get the car to start, could this be warming up the wires enough to overcome low voltage or a bad connection to get the car to start. I think this is a big clue here.

This method has helped others and helped me as well. I read that holding down the key for too long has melted wiring. I only did it for appx. 30 seconds and finally got the car to start.