BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convert) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convert) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Thu, Jun-18-2009, 10:38:41 PM   #11
Cleveland
///M POWERED

Reputation: 1172 Cleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENJMNS View Post
they need to do a back-milled BBS LM wheel - all these others still don't look as good
They already have...(sort of)

It's called the LM-R.

They came out with that slightly revised design just for that reason. No, it's not exactly the same spoke design, but that's about as close as you're going to get.

I was told that all the new BBS wheels that incorporate this new technology, will have the "R" designation attached to it's name. Hence the LM-R & CH-R models.

Note: The "R", as you may already assume...means racing.
True leaders are not those who strive to be first, but those who are first to strive and give their all for the success of the team. They can be identified by the clarity of their vision, the strength of their actions, and the integrity of their intent. A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, and the courage to make tough decisions. A true leader has compassion, and is willing to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but he becomes one by the confidence that he inspires in others. He commands the respect of his peers, and is humbled by the admiration of his followers. True leaders are first to see the need, envision the plan, and empower the team for action. By the strength of the leader's commitment, the power of the team is unleashed.
Jump to top Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jun-18-2009, 11:14:31 PM   #12
PencilGeek
2008 M3 - Red

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
You must be thinking about the 'regular' CH Black Series.

To the naked eye, they look like the same wheel.

Tire rack sells the CH, not the CH-R. (not yet anyway)

The new CH-R wheels are just coming out now (in Europe), and I don't think they are available anywhere in the United States.

That's a bummer...unless you have a connection in Germany.

The new CH-R wheel has a back-milled spokes (like the LM-R) to reduce weight. Similar to a H-beam connecting rod.
I wonder if the weight of these was misprinted on the BBS web site. According to BBS, these wheels weight 27.2 and 29.4 pounds (front/rear). That's 5-7 pounds heavier than other 20 inch wheels. Given these are racing wheels, I've got to believe that's a misprint.

Anybody know for sure?
Old Thu, Jun-18-2009, 11:21:40 PM   #13
WillC310

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I wonder if the weight of these was misprinted on the BBS web site. According to BBS, these wheels weight 27.2 and 29.4 pounds (front/rear). That's 5-7 pounds heavier than other 20 inch wheels. Given these are racing wheels, I've got to believe that's a misprint.

Anybody know for sure?
Heh, 20's and racing together seem to be an oxymoron.
Jump to top WillC310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-18-2009, 11:30:17 PM   #14
PKumarM3
Banned

India

car needs to be slammed. before any wheels go on

these are stock wheels!
Jump to top PKumarM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-18-2009, 11:31:08 PM   #15
askiles

United States

I believe those are the correct weights. Look at the weight of the CH's. They are a very heavy wheel.

-Andy
Jump to top askiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-18-2009, 11:53:22 PM   #16
tinman143

United States

loved my old CH's but didn't love the weight. wonder how much this new technology reduces the weight of these tanks...
Jump to top tinman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-19-2009, 12:25:51 AM   #17
Cleveland
///M POWERED

Reputation: 1172 Cleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond reputeCleveland has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post

Anybody know for sure?
That weight is actually correct for the 20" versions...

I have a BBS document that states the kg weights, and that conversion rate (in pounds) is accurate.

You may think that's heavy, but that's pretty damn good for a 20" CAST wheel with those front and rear withs (9" F, 10.5" R) . And that's for arguably the best quality wheel manufacturer on the planet. (BBS) Not bad for a set of 20" wheels that cost $2700 bucks retail.

Most of the wheels in a 20" size for the E9x M3, are in the mid-to-upper twenty pound range in weight. Hell, even some of the 20" FORGED wheels are hovering around or slightly over the 30lb. mark.

Several very expensive 19x10.5 Forged rear wheels ($1000-$1500 ea) are in the mid 20lb range as well.

CH & CH-R wheels are flow-formed CAST wheels. (which is stronger than the cheaper gravity CAST wheels) That's as good as it gets for a CAST wheel product. Considering the limitations of CAST wheel manufacturing, these weights are good for a wheel THAT big.

To put these weights in to their proper perspective, the standard CH wheel in a smaller and narrower 19" size is very similar.

BBS CH "Black Series" 19's

Front wheel: 19 x 8.5 (20 offset) 26.1 lbs.

Rear wheel: 19 x 10 (20 offset) 27.9 lbs.

Since a 19" CH-R does not exist at this time, there is no way to make a true apples-to-apples comparison. (yet)

Still, even with a smaller diameter wheel, and a narrower front and rear widths, a the two wheels are still very close in weight. When the 19" CH-R is released, the weight advantages will be much easier to see.
True leaders are not those who strive to be first, but those who are first to strive and give their all for the success of the team. They can be identified by the clarity of their vision, the strength of their actions, and the integrity of their intent. A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, and the courage to make tough decisions. A true leader has compassion, and is willing to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but he becomes one by the confidence that he inspires in others. He commands the respect of his peers, and is humbled by the admiration of his followers. True leaders are first to see the need, envision the plan, and empower the team for action. By the strength of the leader's commitment, the power of the team is unleashed.
Jump to top Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-19-2009, 01:01:39 AM   #18
CarFanatic56

In the garage:

cleveland, any more side shots of that AW with the black CH-R's?

Imola Rot/Schwarzes SMG
Jump to top CarFanatic56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-19-2009, 03:55:00 AM   #19
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...

United States

When you look at the weights of expensive and high-quality wheels I continue to be amazed at how good the OEM 19's really are. Forged and light and practically free when you consider the cost to upgrade over the 18's. I think I will be content for a long while with the stockers.

2009 E90 M3 - LeMans Blue - Speed Cloth - 6 speed
ESS Tune - BMW Performance Exhaust - StopTech Trophy BBK - KW Clubsport Suspension - TE37SL Wheels
Jump to top AMPowerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-19-2009, 04:05:26 AM   #20
M3_Dust
Long time lurker, first time poster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saag View Post
Financial security, good looking women, fine automobiles and clothing. That is how my friends and I portray ourselves to the rest of society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggb View Post
Must be horrible that you cannot afford one..
Jump to top M3_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote