BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

View Poll Results: Are you helping the Folding@Home cause?
Yes 47 58.75%
No 33 41.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mon, Nov-26-2007, 02:18:22 PM   #1
Idz21
JohnnyCakes

Poland

Question Are you helping the Folding@Home Stanford research?

So I think I've heard of this before, but while snooping around my PS3 settings last night I came across the Folding@Home research that Stanford is running. Basically what they do is borrow your CPU processing to crunch through all the research that they need to perform in order to get their answers on curing diseases such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

I decided to install their application and have been helping out since yesterday. Just curious to see if anyone else has been doing this. Link with more info -> http://folding.stanford.edu/

Help M3Forum make a difference!:
Install the Folding@Home software on your PC, or let your PS3 do the work.
Use Team #: 95060
- Lets find out how we can do as a whole community!

Updates:
11/26/07 12:45 PM - I took the liberty of registering the M3forum.com to Folding@Home, and our new Team # is 95060. We are now officially part of the Folding@Home network, and you can see our progress here -> http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...&teamnum=95060

11/26/07 11:40 PM - Added PS3 set up instructions

Questions:
1. What is this for?
- You are lending your computer's processor to help Stanford do research on curing diseases such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

So this application periodically downloads a piece of research material, and then uses your CPU to break it down. Once it's done, it uploads it back to the main Stanford server and gives you a new chunk to process.

2. What's better the PS3 or a Desktop/Laptop computer?
- It's better to run the program on a PS3 because of the processing power that it possesses, but most of us would prefer to run it on our computers instead - I am.

3. How do I know when it's running?
- When you luanch the application, your CPU usage will immediately spike up and remain pretty constant. You should be able to see a new window which will show molecules & what project your PC is currently working on. Sample -> http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/attac...0&d=1196108956

4. Will it work on a Mac?
- Yes, you can download the Mac software here (scroll down) -> http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

5. How do I join the M3f team on my PS3?- Once you have installed and launched the application, press the Triangle button (this will bring up a menu). Now go to the Identify option -> Join an existing Team, and then enter 95060. You should also change your Donor Name (this is your nickname - for example mine is Idz21). This way we can see who donated the most within the team.
Originally Posted by Beowoulf View Post
I give up, you win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjimi View Post
I give up, you won.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebm3 View Post
you win.
Help M3Forum cure cancer!

Last edited by Idz21; Mon, Jan-14-2008 at 04:21:57 PM.
Jump to top Idz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Nov-26-2007, 02:57:07 PM   #2
amstel78
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself

Australia

Yeah, my PS3 has been folding for awhile... seems like that's the only thing it's good at apart from playing BD and SACD's.
Jump to top amstel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-26-2007, 03:24:08 PM   #3
Idz21
JohnnyCakes

Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
Yeah, my PS3 has been folding for awhile... seems like that's the only thing it's good at apart from playing BD and SACD's.
heyyyy you're back! Where you been? And vote!

I decided not to let my PS3 do the work and instead am contributing my Dual Core goodness to the project . I let them have 100% of my CPU over night.

Btw, we should create an M3Forum team, so that we can see how much we can contribute as a whole community. I nominate our team # to be 95060. This is the # that Folding@Home has assigned to us.
I give up, you win.
Quote:
I give up, you won.
Quote:
you win.

Last edited by Idz21; Mon, Nov-26-2007 at 04:47:42 PM.
Old Mon, Nov-26-2007, 04:13:09 PM   #4
amstel78

Australia

Well, the PS3 runs circles around my dual core CPU... that's one good thing with the cell, is it can crunch math like nothing else.
Old Mon, Nov-26-2007, 04:43:03 PM   #5
Sirius
How many licks..

In the garage:

United States

I have strange molecules floating on my screen now..

97' M3. '10 R6.
Jump to top Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-26-2007, 04:52:35 PM   #6
Idz21
JohnnyCakes

Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I have strange molecules floating on my screen now..
haha thanks! It's cool right? Btw, I updated my opening post, and my reply to James. I went ahead and registered M3Forum.com as a Team in the Folding@Home network. Our new Team # is 95060

They will track our collective progress. With the amount of people we have on the forum, we should be able to make a pretty nice dent, and also make it to the top of the leaderboard.

For our Team Logo, I used that "Welcome to M3Forum" thing on the main page -> http://www.m3forum.com/images/m3welcome.gif Do you know if we have something different?

For those who are not too PC literate, you need to enter our Team # in the Configuation Settings menu, under the User tab:
Attached Thumbnails. Click the image(s) to view the full size.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TeamNumber.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	69143  
I give up, you win.
Quote:
I give up, you won.
Quote:
you win.
Old Mon, Nov-26-2007, 06:19:35 PM   #7
Wonoraj

Russian Federation

How do I know when it's running? The viewer doesn't work at all, it's all blurry and stuff. Does anything need to be open, or will it just automatically run?
Old Mon, Nov-26-2007, 06:37:49 PM   #8
amstel78

Australia

Pete, I'm telling you... the PS3 will go through the WU's almost 10 times faster than your dual core....
Old Mon, Nov-26-2007, 06:38:49 PM   #9
Sirius
How many licks..

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idz21 View Post
haha thanks! It's cool right? Btw, I updated my opening post, and my reply to James. I went ahead and registered M3Forum.com as a Team in the Folding@Home network. Our new Team # is 95060

They will track our collective progress. With the amount of people we have on the forum, we should be able to make a pretty nice dent, and also make it to the top of the leaderboard.

For our Team Logo, I used that "Welcome to M3Forum" thing on the main page -> http://www.m3forum.com/images/m3welcome.gif Do you know if we have something different?

For those who are not too PC literate, you need to enter our Team # in the Configuation Settings menu, under the User tab:
I didn't know that graphic existed here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonoraj View Post
How do I know when it's running? The viewer doesn't work at all, it's all blurry and stuff. Does anything need to be open, or will it just automatically run?
The program works by using your 'extra' computing cycles. For example: Pretend you are running a game, and it is using 72% of the processor. The folding program will use the remaining 28%. Now, let say you close the game and the processor usage drops down to 12%. The folding program will then jump up to 88% usage.

You can see if it's working by pressing ctrl-alt-delete, go to your processes tab, sort by processor usage and the top program using the most processor time should be the folding application. (FahCore_7b.exe)

97' M3. '10 R6.
Jump to top Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-26-2007, 06:42:58 PM   #10
Mash3
Look out below!

United States

Too bad we Mac users can't help. Although maybe we can in Boot Camp???

I've ditched my Alienware PC for a Mac, and I'm not looking back...

Greg

Jump to top Mash3 is offline   Reply With Quote