BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Dec-31-2007, 08:50:21 AM   #11
m3 guy
Do you even praise the sun?

In the garage:

United States

I have 424A and 420B and the secret I found for the drivers side is to look closely at the wiper arm. You should see a black plastic clip in the wiper arm by the spring on the inside that held the stock blade in place. Pry off this plastic clip and the icon blade will sit flush. This is because the plastic clip sticks out past the width of the wiper arm and touches the icon blade preventing the wiper arm from exerting its full force on the windshield.
Jump to top m3 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jan-04-2008, 09:56:20 PM   #12
davesoly

United States

Default Secret to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
I have 424A and 420B and the secret I found for the drivers side is to look closely at the wiper arm. You should see a black plastic clip in the wiper arm by the spring on the inside that held the stock blade in place. Pry off this plastic clip and the icon blade will sit flush. This is because the plastic clip sticks out past the width of the wiper arm and touches the icon blade preventing the wiper arm from exerting its full force on the windshield.

I have no idea what clip you're talking about here. I just pulled my old blades off and put the Icons on (422A & 420B). I tested the blades out by spraying my windshield with water and I noticed the section that doesn't get covered by the first wipe. I'm expecting that to go away after a couple of uses. Is that what you're talking about? How to cure that problem or to install the blades?

Anyway, I can't wait to try these things out on the road (although I hate driving my baby in the rain). I've seen these blades on all the new BMWs, the Lamborghini Gallardo, and even my mom's new Chevy Tahoe. It's about time I got with the program!
Jump to top davesoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-05-2008, 03:39:09 AM   #13
xPhantom

In the garage:

United States

i have this same problem...
except mine have been on my car for months...
and it still hasn't gone away.
i don't know how to get full contact on my windshield.
Jump to top xPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-05-2008, 05:42:52 AM   #14
Ti-mola///

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesoly View Post
I have no idea what clip you're talking about here. I just pulled my old blades off and put the Icons on (422A & 420B). I tested the blades out by spraying my windshield with water and I noticed the section that doesn't get covered by the first wipe. I'm expecting that to go away after a couple of uses. Is that what you're talking about? How to cure that problem or to install the blades?
Same here, bang on.
Jump to top Ti-mola/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-05-2008, 07:44:43 AM   #15
m3 guy
Do you even praise the sun?

In the garage:

United States

The first picture with the finger representing the arm shows how the piece sticks out from the arm. The other pictures are various angles of the part that needs to be removed. Just pry it out from the arm
Jump to top m3 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-05-2008, 08:07:52 PM   #16
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzjed View Post
I think stock work great, how much better can these be?
I don't think they can work ANY better than new stock ones. Most people are comparing new Bosch Icon wipers with worn Bosch stock wipers..
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster.
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - the REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's new toy.
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-06-2008, 07:49:00 PM   #17
davesoly

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
The first picture with the finger representing the arm shows how the piece sticks out from the arm. The other pictures are various angles of the part that needs to be removed. Just pry it out from the arm
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't bother to try to fix it because I assumed it was a "wear in" issue, but after I looked at my car using your pics, I knew exactly what you were talking about. I pulled the part out, and it worked like a charm. I hope everyone that has this problem takes two minutes out of their day to fix it. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
I don't think they can work ANY better than new stock ones. Most people are comparing new Bosch Icon wipers with worn Bosch stock wipers..
I agree that new blades make a big difference, but the real difference is this. 1) They should last a little longer (no big deal), but more importantly, 2) Try using your wipers in the rain at higher speeds...say 70+. Normal wipers will tend to skip across the windshield and leave a little water behind. I use to just shut them off at those speeds. In contrast, the Icons stay glued down and work quietly and perfectly, even at high speed.

One more thing for everyone. If you have a local Kragen around you, the Icons are on sale this month. I got mine for $32 after rebate. Great deal!!
Old Sat, Jan-12-2008, 04:09:09 PM   #18
Ti-mola///

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3
Thanks for the info! I just did this and they now work perfect.
Jump to top Ti-mola/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-14-2008, 11:02:18 PM   #19
YYZ-M3

United States

Anyone have a good Canadian source (or US source willing to ship to Canada) for the 422a driver's side wiper? Tom @ EAS only has the 420b's... so I have 2 b's and no a's!
Jump to top YYZ-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-15-2008, 01:34:17 AM   #20
Turbofans
Glitter Gulch

United States

I've got the 424A for the driver and the 420A for the passenger. For those of you running the 422A on the driver side, the 424A works (fits) well and wipes a larger area. I am happy with these wipers. To me, they work just as good as the stock ones. I also think that the Icon's look more sleek and low profile. I got mine at my local AutoZone.

TC Kline SA 400 front/500 rear, TC Kline camberplates, OEM Tower re-enforcement plates (on top of the camberplates), OEM front strut brace, Powerflex RTAB's, Powerflex FCAB's, TC Kline RSM's, OEM csl's, CDV delete, SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, Brass brake bushings, K&N drop in panel filter, Optima red top battery, painted reflectors, Ipod adaptor. Former '95 M3 driver.
Jump to top Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote