BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Feb-27-2007, 05:59:04 AM   #1
bmwJohhnyD
user formerly known as bmwbob

United Nations

Default brembo bbk install

some interesting things on my 4 corner brembo bbk install today.

1. i did not need to trim the outer portion of the rear brake shield. some diy's from www.my330i.com and also the install pdf's and even the supplemental sheet from the brembo kit for the e46 m3 stated you had to trim about 1 inch from the rear dust shield all the way around the circumference, and then cut some more of it away to fit the caliper and the bracket. also it was stated that it was difficult to cut away the rear dust shield because it was thick. a good friend of mine did most of the work. all we had to do was cut about 1.5 inch triangle from where you mount the caliper, essentially to widen that space. and we cut them with regular tin snips. the rest was just simply bent out of the way and with this we had about an 1/8 to a quarter of an inch clearance all the way around the rotor and the caliper and the bracket...:nixweiss: i will let you know if sparks start coming from the car or it catches on fire.. so far on the drive home.. zero rubbing etc...

2. we did not cut the front triangle near the tie rod end from the front brake shield either.. we simply bent this out of the way and gained plenty of clearance... we even put the wheel bolts back in along with washers ( to substitute for the wheels) in order to ensure the rotors were completely mounted on the hub... so nothing was cut from the front rotor shield.. it was just slightly bent out of the way

3. regarding the rear stainless steel brake lines. the middle anchor point stock clip that holds the line away from the moving parts had to be 'tweaked' a bit to get that to fit tightly. we think it was due to the diameter of the goodridge anchor point included with the brakes being a bit smaller than stock

4. with regards to the rotor screws that mount the rotors to the hub.. for some reason we could use two screws [just like stock] on 3 of the 4 rotors. however, on the driver side we could only get one of the screws to actually hold the rotor because the 2nd hole was just a little two big [as a matter of fact the 2nd pre-drilled hole looked to be just like the pre-drilled holes for the rear rotor hats ] again i read in a couple of the diy's that you would only get to use one screw on each rotor. we think that if you had a rear rotor screw for that front hole that was too big that it would fit fine... we made sure that the rotors were lined up also. there is a distinct difference in the holes for the screws versus the holes for the dowels in the hub [screw holes are indented so screws sit flush]

5. we used an eye-ometer to measure the run-out on the rotors [since my dads meter did not work with teh magnetic base he bought] and decided it was well within the limits .. just make sure the rotors are mounted with a couple of lug bolts on them though.. or else they will look crazy out of round..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineEcstasy View Post
Just like sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken, sticking a monstrous engine in this car doesn't make it desirable.

Last edited by bmwJohhnyD; Tue, Feb-27-2007 at 09:08:59 PM. Reason: clarification
Jump to top bmwJohhnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Feb-27-2007, 01:15:09 PM   #2
ShakeNbake
Texas 2 step

Canada

If you plan to track the car, remove the front backing plates. With the stock plates in place, there is not much airflow to center of the hub on the center back side, where the rotors **** in their air.

W/r to the bolt holes holding on the rotors. There is a reason only one is used and that it does not seem like it holds the rotor on securely. My guess is that it has to do with allowing the hub to expand/contract a little.

09 E90 M3 DCT | Turner Studs | RedNeck cutouts | Britax Seat | Diaper survival kit | Bassified

Last edited by ShakeNbake; Tue, Feb-27-2007 at 01:24:50 PM.
Jump to top ShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-27-2007, 07:42:26 PM   #3
bmwJohhnyD

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacy View Post
If you plan to track the car, remove the front backing plates. With the stock plates in place, there is not much airflow to center of the hub on the center back side, where the rotors **** in their air.

W/r to the bolt holes holding on the rotors. There is a reason only one is used and that it does not seem like it holds the rotor on securely. My guess is that it has to do with allowing the hub to expand/contract a little.
thanks for the response.. in the brembo supplied directions.. ( i know they are generic) but they state to refasten the rotor with whatever was used on the stock setup ...if the directions would have specifically said to only put it back with one to allow this expansion/contraction i would have certainly did it.. but who knows..

it just seems everytime i do a mod it is a little different than what the other people have experienced .. which concerns me at times..

Quote:
Just like sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken, sticking a monstrous engine in this car doesn't make it desirable.
Old Tue, Feb-27-2007, 08:34:54 PM   #4
exotic///M
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob View Post
some interesting things on my 4 corner brembo bbk install today.

1. i did not need to trim the outer portion of the rear brake shield. some diy's from www.my330i.com and also the install pdf's and even the supplemental sheet from the brembo kit for the e46 m3 stated you had to trim about 1 inch from the rear dust shield all the way around the circumference, and then cut some more of it away to fit the caliper and the bracket. also it was stated that it was difficult to cut away the rear dust shield because it was thick. a good friend of mine did most of the work. all we had to do was cut about 1.5 inche triangle from where you mount the caliper, essentially to widen that space. and we cut them with regular tin snips. the rest was just simply bent out of the way and with this we had about an 1/8 to a quarter of an inch clearance all the way around the rotor and the caliper and the bracket...:nixweiss: i will let you know if sparks start coming from the car or it catches on fire.. so far on the drive home.. zero rubbing etc...

2. we did not cut the front triangle near the tie rod end from the front brake shield either.. we simply bent this out of the way and gained plenty of clearance... we even put the wheel bolts back in along with washers ( to substitute for the wheels) in order to ensure the rotors were completely mounted on the hub... so nothing was cut from the front rotor shield.. it was just slightly bent out of the way

3. regarding the rear stainless steel brake lines. the middle anchor point that holds the line away from the moving parts had to be 'tweaked' a bit to get that to fit tightly. we think it was due to the diameter of the anchor point being a bit smaller than stock

4. with regards to the rotor screws that mount the rotors to the hub.. for some reason we could use two screws [just like stock] on 3 of the 4 rotors. however, on the driver side we could only get one of the screws to actually hold the rotor because the 2nd hole was just a little two big [as a matter of fact the 2nd pre-drilled hole looked to be just like the pre-drilled holes for the rear rotor hats ] again i read in a couple of the diy's that you would only get to use one screw on each rotor. we think that if you had a rear rotor screw for that front hole that was too big that it would fit fine... we made sure that the rotors were lined up also. there is a distinct difference in the holes for the screws versus the holes for the dowels in the hub [screw holes are indented so screws sit flush]

5. we used an eye-ometer to measure the run-out on the rotors [since my dads meter did not work with teh magnetic base he bought] and decided it was well within the limits .. just make sure the rotors are mounted with a couple of lug bolts on them though.. or else they will look crazy out of round..
bmwbob,

Thanks for the write up. Your review and information is definitely appreciated.

I too have done this install with very similar results to what you have noted. I did later remove the front dust shield to help promote fresh airflow to the inner disc plate and I did trim the rear shield as close to the e-brake as possible. I used a brilliant tool called "The Nibbler" that I picked up at SEMA a few years ago. Trimming both rear dust shields took less than 5 minutes.

As for the eye-ometer to measure run-out, and even using a true run-out meter, neither method is correct when dealing with a floating disc. With the amount of float provided by the 2pc. discs, at low RPM's, there will always be a minimal amount of visible run-out. At road speeds, and higher RPM's, the discs actually finds it's true centerline with zero run-out. That's one of the major benefits of a Brembo system.
- True floating hardware that actually works.

I hope you enjoy the system, and I'm sure many people here would appreciate your feedback after driving the kit for a while.
Jump to top exotic///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-27-2007, 09:05:27 PM   #5
bmwJohhnyD

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotic///M View Post
bmwbob,

Thanks for the write up. Your review and information is definitely appreciated.

I too have done this install with very similar results to what you have noted. I did later remove the front dust shield to help promote fresh airflow to the inner disc plate and I did trim the rear shield as close to the e-brake as possible. I used a brilliant tool called "The Nibbler" that I picked up at SEMA a few years ago. Trimming both rear dust shields took less than 5 minutes.

As for the eye-ometer to measure run-out, and even using a true run-out meter, neither method is correct when dealing with a floating disc. With the amount of float provided by the 2pc. discs, at low RPM's, there will always be a minimal amount of visible run-out. At road speeds, and higher RPM's, the discs actually finds it's true centerline with zero run-out. That's one of the major benefits of a Brembo system.
- True floating hardware that actually works.

I hope you enjoy the system, and I'm sure many people here would appreciate your feedback after driving the kit for a while.
thanks for the kind words... i will post a follow up review... and i am glad i wasnt the only one that found the above things to be true...

Quote:
Old Tue, Feb-27-2007, 10:26:50 PM   #6
Synthetic

The 6-piston Monoblock and 380mm rotors for the front set I had used both rotor screws to hold the rotor in place. Maybe it is the specific rotor was over drilled at the factory?
E46 325i - Daily Driver - SOLD
E46 M3 - To Be Found...

My rep if anyone is curious:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=153194
Jump to top Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-04-2007, 01:21:01 PM   #7
bmwJohhnyD

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
The 6-piston Monoblock and 380mm rotors for the front set I had used both rotor screws to hold the rotor in place. Maybe it is the specific rotor was over drilled at the factory?
very interesting...

Quote: