BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Tue, Oct-03-2006, 10:40:33 PM   #1
amstel78
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself

Australia

Default BMW's xDrive vs Quattro, Subaru, and 4Matic, etc?

Don't know much about xDrive, so was wondering how it stacks up against the other manufacturers AWD offerings? Any opinions?

BTW, I watched this presentation: http://www.bmw.ca/com/en/index_highe...ml/content.xml

Pretty impressive technology, at least compared to traditional 4WD vehicles which I'm used to driving.
Jump to top amstel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Oct-03-2006, 11:14:28 PM   #2
Dan I Am
Steep and Deep

In the garage:

Antarctica

Don't know about 4matic but....

xDrive is electronic. Audi and Subaru use a viscous coupling (mechanical).

I think on the average road, the electronic system is superior. It drives the majority of the power to the rear wheels which is of course ideal. My Audi drives damn near 50/50 on dry pavement so you get a little more understeer than you do on a BMW.

Inclimate weather is a different story.......
I did an autocross on a frozen lake last year that was put on by the BMWCCA and the Audis and Subarus trounced the BMW's. It was very interesting watching the computer try to figure out where it could get traction on the lake. It would spin one wheel, take power away, spin another wheel, take power away. It was totally confused.

In my Audi, I just stepped on the gas and all 4 wheels spun until I got some speed up.

I think both systmes have their benefits, but I think the mechanical systems are more predictable to drive with at the limits. For the average driver, electronic is going to be just fine.

Last edited by Dan I Am; Wed, Oct-04-2006 at 01:29:18 AM.
Jump to top Dan I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-04-2006, 12:04:58 AM   #3
Rob's Archive

the xdrive is a great system and just as KU stated, they (electronic) systems are great for average on road to light unprepared surface work. Though as the severity of the work to be done goes up the need for a mechanical setup comes to be. The x5 with the older 4wd setup was seen as a more engaging drive on the track than the current setup with Xdrive.
Jump to top Rob's Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-04-2006, 12:12:31 AM   #4
apollo322

I have both a Subaru and mercedes 4matic, but I've never driven the x drive for more than a test drive. Of the other two, the Subaru is without question the better car in high snow, and the benz is 10 times better in heavy rain.
Jump to top apollo322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-04-2006, 04:20:46 AM   #5
RONIN009
Raiders Fan (RIP the original A.D.)

Mozambique

When my X5 4.6is was featured in Bimmer Magazine, we did a test drive comparing my Dinan modified X5 vs a 4.8is. Basically we took both trucks up into the hills above Malibu, CA and flogged both vehicles. I can hands down flat out say that the 4.8is with X-Drive had a distinct advantage over the 4.6is and its mechanical AWD system.
Jump to top RONIN009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-04-2006, 04:26:08 AM   #6
Dan I Am
Steep and Deep

In the garage:

Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin009
When my X5 4.6is was featured in Bimmer Magazine, we did a test drive comparing my Dinan modified X5 vs a 4.8is. Basically we took both trucks up into the hills above Malibu, CA and flogged both vehicles. I can hands down flat out say that the 4.8is with X-Drive had a distinct advantage over the 4.6is and its mechanical AWD system.

Hmmm. In a real off road situation, you need a locking differential. I can't see how an electronic system would be better in a real climbing type setting.

I can say without any hesitation that the mechanical system was far superior on the frozen lake. Out of our group of 13, I took second behind another S4, followed by several Subbies, then a BMW.
Old Wed, Oct-04-2006, 04:47:43 AM   #7
RONIN009

Mozambique

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUpolo
Hmmm. In a real off road situation, you need a locking differential. I can't see how an electronic system would be better in a real climbing type setting.

I can say without any hesitation that the mechanical system was far superior on the frozen lake. Out of our group of 13, I took second behind another S4, followed by several Subbies, then a BMW.
Oh, I agree completely, what I am talking about is on the twisty roads, not off the road. I guess I didnt make that clear when I was talking about being in the mountains.
Old Wed, Oct-04-2006, 05:06:58 AM   #8
Dan I Am
Steep and Deep

In the garage:

Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin009
Oh, I agree completely, what I am talking about is on the twisty roads, not off the road. I guess I didnt make that clear when I was talking about being in the mountains.

Ahhh then I agree electronic is better on road, mechanical is better in bad weather or off road.
Old Wed, Oct-04-2006, 05:09:28 AM   #9
RONIN009

Mozambique

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUpolo
Ahhh then I agree electronic is better on road, mechanical is better in bad weather or off road.
Old Wed, Oct-04-2006, 05:13:02 AM   #10
Rob's Archive

will u2 get a room!
Jump to top Rob's Archive is offline   Reply With Quote