BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Tue, Sep-27-2016, 08:11:54 PM   #1
leeboysf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 293
Reputation: 0 leeboysf is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Steering rack upgrade for square wheel setup a must?

Is it just me or having wider tires with aggressive offset worsens the steering responsiveness really badly on our platform? I do understand that aggressive offset wheels in the front causes larger turning radius, but I am really noticing the difference in steering feedback/input. It feels as if I'm driving a Cadillac... Perhaps it's time to replace my steering rack with ZCP or Z4 ones. Any recommendations on which steering rack to buy? ZCP or Z4M one?
__________________
2004 AW/IR 6MT 26K miles as of 10/2016
My build journal

Last edited by leeboysf; Wed, Sep-28-2016 at 06:55:12 AM.
Jump to top leeboysf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Sep-27-2016, 09:33:50 PM   #2
Jovica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 301
Reputation: 0 Jovica is on a distinguished road
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Canada




Default Re: Steering rack upgrade for square wheel setup a must?

If money is no object, go for Z4M coupe rack. If you want value for the buck, get a ZHP rack. Search and you'll understand...
Jump to top Jovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-27-2016, 10:20:53 PM   #3
cscat87
Registered User
 
cscat87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,481
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 cscat87 is on a distinguished road
Location: Long Island, NY

United States




Default Re: Steering rack upgrade for square wheel setup a must?

I'd dig a little deeper to see if there are any other issues with the car first. Wider front wheels should increase the steering response. I am running a square 255 setup and noticed it as well. The only thing a super wide front tire may cause is the steering to feel a bit heavier. Though I do not notice a weight difference in mine.
__________________
1997 M3 Coupe
2003 M3 Convertible
2003 M3 Coupe
2014 320i Jalopnik Edition
2011 Ram 3500
Jump to top cscat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-28-2016, 01:33:02 AM   #4
rpearl555
So Shiny So Chrome
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 641
Reputation: 0 rpearl555 has disabled reputation
Location: Florida

United States




Default Re: Steering rack upgrade for square wheel setup a must?

I also have 255 squared. Sensitivity is increased but if anything I feel like the steering wheel is lighter. Probably placebo.
Jump to top rpearl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-28-2016, 01:57:33 AM   #5
BTB
Registered User
 
BTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,745
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 BTB is on a distinguished road
Location: Chicagoland

United States




Default Re: Steering rack upgrade for square wheel setup a must?

Driving a cadillac?? If anything wouldn't a wider front tire make the front end pull around harder (tramline) and be more touchy/responsive? I never had a problem with 255 or 245 fronts. Though I will say a light, rigid 'racing' steering wheel makes a huge difference in the way the car/steering feels.

I recently drove the car after about a week+ of it sitting and I will say the steering is incredibly slow. At low speeds its almost impossible to flick the car around, at least without flailing your arms around like an idiot. A faster rack would help, though so would an angle kit, which is what I plan on doing.
__________________
UIUC / TU Munich Mechanical Engineering 2018
2003 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola Red/Black Napa, slicktop, manual seats
My Journal
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-28-2016, 04:12:44 AM   #6
leeboysf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 293
Reputation: 0 leeboysf is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Steering rack upgrade for square wheel setup a must?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
...I will say the steering is incredibly slow. At low speeds its almost impossible to flick the car around, at least without flailing your arms around like an idiot. A faster rack would help, though so would an angle kit, which is what I plan on doing.
This is exactly it! Steering feels slower now that I have ZCP square wheel setup with 265 in the front. This morning I went around a slow moving car as I was accelerating, and the car wasn't changing the lane fast enough with the same amount of steering input as with the stock wheels and tires.. After changing the lane I actually got pretty close to curb until I turned the steering wheel more to compensate. Having to steer so much felt like I was driving a Caddy...
__________________
2004 AW/IR 6MT 26K miles as of 10/2016
My build journal
Jump to top leeboysf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-28-2016, 04:19:34 AM   #7
BTB
Registered User
 
BTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,745
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 BTB is on a distinguished road
Location: Chicagoland

United States




Default Re: Steering rack upgrade for square wheel setup a must?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeboysf View Post
This is exactly it! Steering feels slower now that I have ZCP square wheel setup with 265 in the front. This morning I went around a slow moving car as I was accelerating, and the car wasn't changing the lane fast enough with the same amount of steering input as with the stock wheels and tires.. After changing the lane I actually got pretty close to curb until I turned the steering wheel more to compensate. Having to steer so much felt like I was driving a Caddy...


Interesting... though I was just talking about the cars rack in general, Im not sure it's possible that your car isn't turning as much as a result of a 4cm wider tire. The steering input angle correlates to motion of the rack linearly and a certain steering angle will always move the wheels the same amount (unless you mess with the stock setup).

Unless someone else can explain if that is possible..?
__________________
UIUC / TU Munich Mechanical Engineering 2018
2003 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola Red/Black Napa, slicktop, manual seats
My Journal
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-28-2016, 04:28:45 AM   #8
leeboysf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 293
Reputation: 0 leeboysf is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Steering rack upgrade for square wheel setup a must?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat87 View Post
I'd dig a little deeper to see if there are any other issues with the car first. Wider front wheels should increase the steering response. I am running a square 255 setup and noticed it as well. The only thing a super wide front tire may cause is the steering to feel a bit heavier. Though I do not notice a weight difference in mine.
No other issues.. And yes I do have more grip in the front... I guess I didn't explain what I meant by "felt like driving a caddy"... Slower steering and having to steer more than what I am used to with the stock wheels and tires felt like driving a Caddy.. Faster steering rack should fix this issue...
__________________
2004 AW/IR 6MT 26K miles as of 10/2016
My build journal
Jump to top leeboysf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-28-2016, 04:37:00 AM   #9
leeboysf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 293
Reputation: 0 leeboysf is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Steering rack upgrade for square wheel setup a must?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
Interesting... though I was just talking about the cars rack in general, Im not sure it's possible that your car isn't turning as much as a result of a 4cm wider tire. The steering input angle correlates to motion of the rack linearly and a certain steering angle will always move the wheels the same amount (unless you mess with the stock setup).

Unless someone else can explain if that is possible..?
All the steering components are stock. I've recently added new coilovers, lowered, square wheels and wider tires.. Perhaps it's just a placebo effect since it was my first day driving my M3 after three weeks of only driving my Range Rover...

Anyways, I was never a fan of the stock steering rack... Time to replace it...
__________________
2004 AW/IR 6MT 26K miles as of 10/2016
My build journal
Jump to top leeboysf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-28-2016, 04:40:21 AM   #10
BTB
Registered User
 
BTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,745
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 BTB is on a distinguished road
Location: Chicagoland

United States




Default Steering rack upgrade for square wheel setup a must?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeboysf View Post
All the steering components are stock. I've recently added new coilovers, lowered, square wheels and wider tires.. Perhaps it's just a placebo effect since it was my first day driving my M3 after three weeks of only driving my Range Rover...
Ahh haha ok I see. Like I said, the same happened to me and I hadn't driven any cars for over a week, started driving down my parking garage and I could not believe how much I had to move the wheel to get the front end to move around.

The e92s steering is incredibly fast in comparison, you can pull little slides without taking your hands off the wheel! I think a fast rack would really transform the e46
__________________
UIUC / TU Munich Mechanical Engineering 2018
2003 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola Red/Black Napa, slicktop, manual seats
My Journal
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:49:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Shock dynos, Fat Cat Motorsports and custom valved Bilstiens in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)