BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Nov-24-2018, 08:00:13 AM   #1
zingbmw

United States

Default Headliner replacement options..suggestions?

So my headliner fabric is almost completely separated from the headliner now

I assume my options are to reglue whats there, replace the fabric, or replace the entire headliner. From my experience with re-gluing the pillars, I might opt for the 2nd or 3rd option (it holds up pretty well, but I've had to reglue spots that I didn't use enough glue on). From what Ive read, it seems that removing the headliner is no easy feat, so I want this to be a one and done type of repair (first one lasted 12 years and its recently had to sit outside in the fl sun ).

What are your experiences with replacing the fabric or headliner? Tips or places to purchase either?
Jump to top zingbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Nov-24-2018, 02:40:26 PM   #2
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Headliner replacement options..suggestions?

In my 330, I used micro suede from Hobby Lobby and 3M spray adhesive 90 (black/green can) to redo my headliner and a/b/c pillars.

I peeled off the backing from the micro suede. If you do, you have to be careful with the spray adhesive so it doesnít bleed through.

You might be able to leave the backing on when you do the headliner. Must take it off if you do the pillars and other small bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-24-2018, 03:21:32 PM   #3
BlazenXLT
We've had one yes, what about second breakfast?

In the garage:

United States

I re-covered my headliner when I took my sunroof out. You can see pics in my journal, starting around post #390. I sourced the fabric here
https://www.headlinerexpress.com/imp...ard-p-773.html

Not too difficult, just a time consuming task.
Old Sat, Nov-24-2018, 03:38:41 PM   #4
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

Beware of headliner express. I've been waiting since Feb for the anthracite headliner material. I had enough and asked for my money back earlier this month. He tried to send foam backed suede as a replacement when I asked for a refund and then he went silent when I said I would rather have a check. At this point I just want my money and will get real alcantara instead.
Jump to top dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-25-2018, 12:05:58 AM   #5
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

Make sure you wait long enough till the spray turns tacky before applying the fabric, lay it down too soon and it will absolutely bleed through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sun, Nov-25-2018, 12:20:14 AM   #6
Cheapbimmer

United States

It’s not hard to do, especially if yousis that bad. I did my headliner, pillars, and rear deck lid in Alcantara. The material I think was around $450 and I used a couple cans of 3m glue. It’s held up great for a couple years now.

Just rip the fabric off, and use a steel brush. Like a grill cleaning brush. Shop vac all the junk and be careful not to break off the little edges and tabs. Watch a couple YouTube videos.
Old Sun, Nov-25-2018, 12:51:33 AM   #7
R1pilot

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapbimmer View Post
Itís not hard to do, especially if yousis that bad. I did my headliner, pillars, and rear deck lid in Alcantara. The material I think was around $450 and I used a couple cans of 3m glue. Itís held up great for a couple years now.

Just rip the fabric off, and use a steel brush. Like a grill cleaning brush. Shop vac all the junk and be careful not to break off the little edges and tabs. Watch a couple YouTube videos.
I am in the same boat as the OP.

My question to those who replaced it with different material, be it Alcantara or whatever, do the sunvisors and other bits look like crap now that they dont match? Did you do the panel for the sunroof buttons, the sunroof cover and the alarm dome thingie?

I would pay someone but those things keep me thinking of going to the dealer and ordering with BMWCCA discount.

BTW OP, not sure where in Fl you are but Braman WPB matched Tisher prices last time I went there with my BMWCCA card. Might be an option.
Jump to top R1pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-25-2018, 04:33:12 AM   #8
zingbmw

United States

Im ok with the idea of recovering the headliner, but Id rather have a similar material to stock. Does anyone have a reliable source for something like this??
Old Sun, Nov-25-2018, 04:33:52 AM   #9
zingbmw

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
In my 330, I used micro suede from Hobby Lobby and 3M spray adhesive 90 (black/green can) to redo my headliner and a/b/c pillars.

I peeled off the backing from the micro suede. If you do, you have to be careful with the spray adhesive so it doesn’t bleed through.

You might be able to leave the backing on when you do the headliner. Must take it off if you do the pillars and other small bits.

I've reglued my a,b, and c pillars. The A pillars I removed completely and reglued, while I just touched up the b and c pillars, so I didn't have to remove them. however, I used 3M 77 adhesive spray and I've already had to reglue areas that I probably didn't use enough glue the first time. Is 3M 90 that much stronger or am I going to end up pulling the whole thing apart again in a year or 2 to touch it up??

If I use new material for the headliner will the pillars look out of place if I dont recover them as well?
Old Sun, Nov-25-2018, 06:11:30 AM   #10
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingbmw View Post
I've reglued my a,b, and c pillars. The A pillars I removed completely and reglued, while I just touched up the b and c pillars, so I didn't have to remove them. however, I used 3M 77 adhesive spray and I've already had to reglue areas that I probably didn't use enough glue the first time. Is 3M 90 that much stronger or am I going to end up pulling the whole thing apart again in a year or 2 to touch it up??

If I use new material for the headliner will the pillars look out of place if I dont recover them as well?

I tried 77, doesnít work, had to use 90. Iím guessing youíre going to have to pull it all apart. 90 is a much stronger adhesive.

Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote