BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Jan-16-2019, 12:48:55 AM   #31
BugsWest

United States

Default Re: Should i buy this m3? Techno violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
You're entitled to your opinion but you might not be aware that there are indeed people who want nice E36s. not everyone wants to roll around in a total shitbox like Facebook groups would lead you to believe. Because no matter how you slice it, a $5000 E36 M3 in today's market is a shitbox. Doesn't mean you can't fix it with time and more money, but at that point it's no longer a 5K car. Sorry but I don't think that makes me an elitist, but rather just a realist.
I completely second this. I think referring to an e36 M3 as ďcheap, careless funĒ really demeans the value these cars present as a reliable, analog, and well-handling platform. I suppose treating the cars as cheap allows for the good ones to appreciate in value, though. I have no qualms paying mid teens for my car.
Jump to top BugsWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-16-2019, 01:33:06 AM   #32
bostonbruck

In the garage:

United States

I bought the car. The car has cosmetic flaws. More than what was expected. I will be started a new thread here in a few days with more pictures...

It drove amazing, and was in great mechanical shape. I’m not worried about looks too much.

At the end of a day, i own a techno violet m3/4/5 for $3000 lol

2002 Jet black 6MT Coupe Beisan Vanos, Gloss black grills, F10 M5 knob, Supersprint Race Muffler, Powerflx rtabs, maintenance
1997 Techno Violet M3/4/5 Sunroof delete, Bilstein/H&R, subframe reinforcement, new head gasket
WTB: LSB or Imola interior (mint)
WTB: Supersprint V1 stepped headers
Jump to top bostonbruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-16-2019, 05:24:01 AM   #33
dannyzabolotny

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
As someone who has purchased MANY sub $5k E36, I can't begin to tell you how unfounded your opinion is. The maintenance alone on these cars can easily top $10k, DOING THINGS CORRECTLY. The enjoyment of a properly built car will far exceed anything $5k will buy you. Limping along your $5k car defeats the purpose of buying an E36 M3, in my opinion. Don't think for one second that the guys with $20k+ cars don't drive them properly either.
Not sure where you got the $10k figure from... unless you're referring to a full nuts-and-bolts restoration of every major component, which is beyond what most people are willing to do. You can get an E36 M3 to be 90% sorted for a lot less money. Sure, it makes for a pretty build thread when every bolt is nicely zinc-coated, but that's not the only way to do things.

I may have generalized a bit with my statement, I'll admit. But I like the E36 M3 for being a cheap thrill, that's my take on it. Parts are cheaper and more readily available than for the E39, hence why I sold my E39 and moved into an E36.

My M3 was $3800 and at $5000 invested will most likely have all of the major issues taken care of (tired suspension and bad tires are the worst of it). It might not be up to your standards, but for thrashing around town and canyon-carving, that will do just fine. I'm not trying to set lap times in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
You're entitled to your opinion but you might not be aware that there are indeed people who want nice E36s. not everyone wants to roll around in a total shitbox like Facebook groups would lead you to believe. Because no matter how you slice it, a $5000 E36 M3 in today's market is a shitbox. Doesn't mean you can't fix it with time and more money, but at that point it's no longer a 5K car. Sorry but I don't think that makes me an elitist, but rather just a realist.
Oh I'm aware that there are people that want nice E36's. I'm not one of those people, haha. For me, the purchase price being cheap is the biggest factor, because I have plenty of time to gradually nurse a car back to being nice. It's almost like paying off a car on a loan, just with more new parts and without a depressing interest rate.

Idk, maybe it's just because I come from a middle to lower class background that I can't imagine paying $10k for any car. That's more money than I've ever had at one moment. I'm sure it's peanuts for most people but $5k cash is a stupidly large amount of money for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsWest View Post
I completely second this. I think referring to an e36 M3 as “cheap, careless fun” really demeans the value these cars present as a reliable, analog, and well-handling platform. I suppose treating the cars as cheap allows for the good ones to appreciate in value, though. I have no qualms paying mid teens for my car.
I guess it depends on what you want out of the E36 M3. I like that they're cheap to buy and cheap to repair, that makes them more fun to thrash. I own another M3 with my buddy— we bought it for $3k and it's been one of the most fun cars ever, and that's including much more expensive cars that I've driven. It's awesome to be able to do donuts and burnouts on a daily basis without worrying about anything major breaking. And when stuff does break, it's super cheap to replace and parts are plentiful at junkyards since so much is shared with the 328i. A good portion of that M3 is held together with junkyard parts, no shame in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbruck View Post
I bought the car. The car has cosmetic flaws. More than what was expected. I will be started a new thread here in a few days with more pictures...

It drove amazing, and was in great mechanical shape. I’m not worried about looks too much.

At the end of a day, i own a techno violet m3/4/5 for $3000 lol
Heck yeah! Glad you bought it! I was trying to get a friend to buy it if you didn't go through with it. You just saved me yet another Iowa to Arizona roadtrip, haha.
Old Wed, Jan-16-2019, 06:24:08 AM   #34
bostonbruck

In the garage:

United States

Update: the deal was a little too good to be true. I found out the car is a rebuilt title, including an accident back in 2011. The car was slightly misrepresented. I can still back out of the deal. Honestly it doesn't bother me. It drives amazing and that's what matters. Will maybe offer a little lower and see what happens. Still probably going to buy it.

2002 Jet black 6MT Coupe Beisan Vanos, Gloss black grills, F10 M5 knob, Supersprint Race Muffler, Powerflx rtabs, maintenance
1997 Techno Violet M3/4/5 Sunroof delete, Bilstein/H&R, subframe reinforcement, new head gasket
Old Wed, Jan-16-2019, 01:11:19 PM   #35
Ajcanadian

In the garage:

United States

I'm sorry but the people that say 5,000$ M3's aren't worth buying are completely wrong. I've had a lot of fun fixing my sub 3000$ manual M3s. I've made a lot of friends and have learned a lot. I did an engine rebuild,re did the suspension, brakes, and a little bit of drivetrain. Part prices for these cars are dirt cheap, but when I'm 17 year old, I couldn't see myself dropping 10k for an e36 m3. I'd instead drop that 10k on an e46 m3 6speed or even an e39 M5.

18341725_1889135057778910_6757124178888635797_n.jpg

33892846_10209643318038453_8783432656915267584_o.jpg
The cosmos, I'm in less than 3500$ and all I had done was throw in a fuel pump to get it running. Then I did a little bit of suspension refresh, brakes, and cleaned up the interior a little. Yes, it's a manual. Ugly: it's just got a wee bit of rust. Enough to scare off the BAT high wallet bidders

The dakar, I paid 3,000$ for. Did a lot of work to it. Did a top end refresh. Threw in a new headgasket, all associated rubber hoses/gaskets, rebuilt the vanos, threw in some headers, suspension refresh, heatercore, brakes, and tires. I'm sure it was within 4200$ ish in it. Ugly it had a banged quarter when a PO failed to drift it. But oh well, it was my dream car and my first M at the age of 17. Nuff, said.

Last edited by Ajcanadian; Wed, Jan-16-2019 at 01:21:23 PM.
Jump to top Ajcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-16-2019, 02:10:59 PM   #36
pbonsalb

If the car is cheap enough and is just a driver to you, I would not worry about the rebuilt title. However I would inspect the damaged areas before finalizing the deal to make sure the work was done well. The fact that the work was done 7 years ago makes it more likely it was done right but there could also be welds that are about to rust through that are hidden by body coating or something like that.

I like drivers because the fun in a car to me is driving. I don’t mind the maintainance that comes with driving. Garage queens don’t interest me, but I understand some people prefer to park their nice car and drive a beater instead.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-16-2019, 02:28:38 PM   #37
simon_c

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbruck View Post
Update: the deal was a little too good to be true. I found out the car is a rebuilt title, including an accident back in 2011. The car was slightly misrepresented. I can still back out of the deal. Honestly it doesn't bother me. It drives amazing and that's what matters. Will maybe offer a little lower and see what happens. Still probably going to buy it.
I would not buy a car from someone that misrepresented a clean title car for a rebuilt car. Period. That doesn't seem like a slight misrepresentation to me. You have no idea how that thing got the rebuilt title (with the accident on top to boot) and how well it was fixed up. This may cause a whole lot of headaches for you in the future. I'd walk away from the deal immediately.

And didn't you mention you were buying this from a friend? Seems strange that a friend wouldn't disclose this from the beginning.

You know what they say: If a deal is too good to be true...
Old Wed, Jan-16-2019, 03:11:25 PM   #38
bostonbruck

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_c View Post
I would not buy a car from someone that misrepresented a clean title car for a rebuilt car. Period. That doesn't seem like a slight misrepresentation to me. You have no idea how that thing got the rebuilt title (with the accident on top to boot) and how well it was fixed up. This may cause a whole lot of headaches for you in the future. I'd walk away from the deal immediately.

And didn't you mention you were buying this from a friend? Seems strange that a friend wouldn't disclose this from the beginning.

You know what they say: If a deal is too good to be true...
He claims that he never ran the Carfax, and didnít know. He truly thought it was a clean title but wasnít 100%. I know that sounds sketchy.. Heís had it for years. He got it for trade in price at a shop he works at. Honestly Iím not too worried about the title. It was repaired 7 years ago and itís had a subframe reinforcements since then. Iím pretty sure it was just a bumper replaced. The car drove fantastic, seemed like it had 100k miles on it. Nothing bad to say about how it drives. Lots of money were invested into mechanical parts. Lots of engine and suspension parts were replaced. $6k in the last year. It is beat up and has some rust, but Iím glad he invested it into the engine/suspension rather than cosmetics. Itís going to be my beater, and I am looking forward to beating on it. This car is the perfect contender for a track car. A clean example with 118k sold for 20k. Iím getting it for $3000. For the price i really canít go wrong. If something happens then I will learn my lesson and never do this again.

Old Wed, Jan-16-2019, 03:31:58 PM   #39
bostonbruck

In the garage:

United States

He was not trying to hide it from me. He was the one who ran the Carfax and told me he was wrong and that it was a rebuilt title. He also told me about the accident.

Old Wed, Jan-16-2019, 04:05:45 PM   #40
spaghettiM3

In the garage:

United States

I wouldn't say the deal was too good to be true.

You're buying a $3k e36 M3, expectations should already be very low.

No matter what you do to this car in the future, it will not sell for more than $3k with rust, high miles and a rebuilt title.

At the end of the day, it's exactly as you've said, a beater. Beat on it.