BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 12:51:13 AM   #1
bostonbruck

In the garage:

United States

Default Should i buy this m3? Techno violet

Hey everyone. I have been using this forum for some time now but I mainly stay on the e46 m3 forum since that is the car I own. I have been looking for a "beater" for some time now, and my my friend is selling his e36 m3. I would like some insight and opinions on what you guys think. Here is some information about the car.

$3,500 (would maybe go to $3000 for me)
1997 Techno violet sedan
199k miles
Manual
Clean title
No accidents
Stock wheels

Recent work:
H&R lowering springs
subframe reinforcement
Bilstein sport shocks
front control arms
front sway bar links
tie rods
spark plugs
valve cover gasket
head gasket
clutch has been replaced sometime

The bad:
rust on fenders
lots of chips on hood
rust on hood and missing some paint
Front seats are beat up
ignition lock cylinder is going out
brakes are squishy, needs flushed

My question is.... Is this a good buy? Would any of you even consider this, or is it a shitbox?

My plan would be to flush the brakes, get a new hood, maybe new fenders or paint them. I would drive this as a daily to and from work. I am only considering this car because the price is low, and my friend owns the car currently. He just bought an e93 m3. I already have a 100k mile clean example of an e46 m3 manual, and it is my garage queen, not going anywhere. I think this car would be fun to drive, and I wouldn't have to care as much about it compared to my e46 m3. It would replace my e46 325i automatic, and could teach my friends/brothers who drive manual. I would daily it pushing the miles past 200k.

Am I getting carried away, or do you think this could be a decent car for the money? Keep in mind I am not familiar with the e36, but I am with the e46. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

2002 Jet black 6MT Coupe Beisan Vanos, Gloss black grills, F10 M5 knob, Supersprint Race Muffler, Powerflx rtabs, maintenance
1997 Techno Violet M3/4/5 Sunroof delete, Bilstein/H&R, subframe reinforcement, new head gasket
WTB: LSB or Imola interior (mint)
WTB: Supersprint V1 stepped headers

Last edited by bostonbruck; Mon, Jan-14-2019 at 01:02:58 AM. Reason: updates
Jump to top bostonbruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 01:09:06 AM   #2
Ajcanadian

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Should i buy this m3? Techno violet

I saw the forsale ad in craigslist. It seems decent and at that price, you really can't go wrong. At the end of the day it is an engine with 199k miles, it could blow up. But these engines are really easy to rebuild. That's coming from an 18 year old that rebuild his S50 us spec*. With the little work it needs, it's definetly worth fixing and it'd be a lot more fun than your E46 325i. I would suggest repainting the hood & fenders instead of getting new ones since you'll loose the options of having the vin sticker unless there's no point in saving them. I'd say pull the trigger!
Jump to top Ajcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 01:34:38 AM   #3
bostonbruck

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajcanadian View Post
I saw the forsale ad in craigslist. It seems decent and at that price, you really can't go wrong. At the end of the day it is an engine with 199k miles, it could blow up. But these engines are really easy to rebuild. That's coming from an 18 year old that rebuild his S50 us spec*. With the little work it needs, it's definetly worth fixing and it'd be a lot more fun than your E46 325i. I would suggest repainting the hood & fenders instead of getting new ones since you'll loose the options of having the vin sticker unless there's no point in saving them. I'd say pull the trigger!
He says the engine and transmission are in great shape. He is a friend so he wouldn't lie to me. He blew a head gasket and fixed that, along with timing chain tensioner, 24 new lifters, and a few more things. Thank you for your response. I will wait for a few others to chime in.

2002 Jet black 6MT Coupe Beisan Vanos, Gloss black grills, F10 M5 knob, Supersprint Race Muffler, Powerflx rtabs, maintenance
1997 Techno Violet M3/4/5 Sunroof delete, Bilstein/H&R, subframe reinforcement, new head gasket
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 01:34:51 AM   #4
dannyzabolotny

United States

$3000 for a Techno Violet M3/4/5? Heck yeah! I just bought a Techno Violet 97 M3 Sedan with similar mileage and almost zero maintenance done to it for $3800, except mine's an automatic. No rust though.

I'd do it! For that cheap you really can't go wrong.
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 01:46:50 AM   #5
westopher

Canada

Pictures are worth a thousand words.
This car without the issues is a 10k car. Just depends what you want out of it if you want to bring it up to that. For a brake overhaul, paintwork, and a new set of front seats you could pretty easily spend more than the car is worth, or you could also pretty easily DIY some stuff and get some moderately ok cash job on the paint and spend 2k.
Check the cooling system and suspension bushings. Those are other pretty big ticket items and can send you deep down a rabbit hole.
If you fix everything, and do it well, expect to care about it as much as the e46 pretty quickly.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 109k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 175k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 02:07:03 AM   #6
bostonbruck

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Pictures are worth a thousand words.
This car without the issues is a 10k car. Just depends what you want out of it if you want to bring it up to that. For a brake overhaul, paintwork, and a new set of front seats you could pretty easily spend more than the car is worth, or you could also pretty easily DIY some stuff and get some moderately ok cash job on the paint and spend 2k.
Check the cooling system and suspension bushings. Those are other pretty big ticket items and can send you deep down a rabbit hole.
If you fix everything, and do it well, expect to care about it as much as the e46 pretty quickly.
You really think its worth 10k even with 199k on it? Is it just cause the spec is rare? Also I can DIY the majority of stuff. Suspension parts/bushings are no biggie. Did most of that stuff on my e46. Could get used front seats and flush the brakes. I will say the rust is probably a little worse than you're expecting. The rust is probably the size of my fist on the fender. Bubbling and surface rust but its not a hole. And the hood has peeling clear coat and stuff. The car doesn't have to be perfect, but I would definitely want to invest in it to make it better.

Last edited by bostonbruck; Mon, Jan-14-2019 at 02:28:22 AM.
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 02:13:37 AM   #7
westopher

Canada

If the body was perfect, yes close to it, but as is not even close. Techno manual cars (if not dove) are probably top flavour of the month lately.
Honestly though most manual, well maintained cars don't get below 8-9k these days. Anything lower is reserved for auto/accident/vert/rusty cars or any combo of the aforementioned.
These cars are riding a pretty serious wave of appreciation compared to before. They were far too cheap for a long time.
The rust is a huge detractor though. If you can make it look decent though, go for it.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 109k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 175k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859

Last edited by westopher; Mon, Jan-14-2019 at 02:28:44 AM.
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 02:19:33 AM   #8
T3AMFiSh
Your mom goes to college

United States

Where you find rust, there’s always more lurking elsewhere
Jump to top T3AMFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 02:35:50 AM   #9
bostonbruck

In the garage:

United States

update: has mishimoto radiator, metal thermostat, and more maintenance that I didn't know about.

Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 02:54:53 AM   #10
bostonbruck

In the garage:

United States