BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 06:16:31 PM   #21
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

Default Re: A What's it Worth Thread

Donít even think about it, just buy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 07:19:16 PM   #22
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
If someone tried to lowball me based on a bolster foam ripple on a car I priced 10k below market value Iíd set the car on fire in front of them before I sold it to them, even if they came back up to asking price.
Lots of people donít need the money and donít appreciate those bullshit games when selling a car that you will maybe never have the opportunity to purchase again.
I had someone lowball me on my car because his two ďexpertsĒ said that rear shock tower failure is the number one concern on the E36. Mine have reinforcement plates welded on...

I wasnít interested in selling to him after that. Iíd rather keep the car than sell it to a clown for $8k
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 09:17:44 PM   #23
Braymond141

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwormjlm View Post
Rather suspect quotes you have there...

Early model M3's have a different construction for the vaders, and lack any metal supporting for the bolsters. Over time, the foam fails, and the bolsters sag, bulge or hang to the side like your example is.

See circled area, the "bolster."

By comparison, here is a later model with no bolster failure.

You should be aware of any and all issues with a car, this is one to highlight since upholstery work is quite expensive. At the very least, use it to try to get a lower price.
I love you. Only detail that was wrong is that the bolster leather will probably be fine for many years to come. It’s more that the failed foam is ugly AF, doesn’t support your body well and is just really annoying design flaw.

Quote:
If someone tried to lowball me based on a bolster foam ripple on a car I priced 10k below market value I’d set the car on fire in front of them before I sold it to them, even if they came back up to asking price.
Lots of people don’t need the money and don’t appreciate those bullshit games when selling a car that you will maybe never have the opportunity to purchase again.
Spoken like a true early vader owner.

(I love you too)

Last edited by Braymond141; Fri, Jan-11-2019 at 12:26:39 AM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 11:13:56 PM   #24
TomS2
BS Buster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
If someone tried to lowball me based on a bolster foam ripple on a car I priced 10k below market value I’d set the car on fire in front of them before I sold it to them, even if they came back up to asking price.
Lots of people don’t need the money and don’t appreciate those bullshit games when selling a car that you will maybe never have the opportunity to purchase again.
When I was selling my mint M Roadster somoene came and pointed out that in the 18 years it's been on the planet the rear bumper was painted, and agreed all other paint was original. Also agreed that the bumper was original.

I thanked him for his lowball offer and ignored all other correspondence from him telling me he had cash in hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grumpy_Cat View Post
I feel I should also mention the older gentleman selling the car has owned it since new. He is in no rush to sell the car and has no intention of putting it up for sale publically. As far as I know, he is only willing to sell the car to either me or my aforementioned friend, so there's no real rush. He did say that he would like to hang onto it until the spring and try to drive it a few times before he is truly willing to part with it. He has also kept all records relating to the car, i.e. receipts, and maintenance records from new as far as I can tell. It is clear that the consensus seems to be to buy it and never look back.
A friend, former co worker has a Dakar/black 95 with 10,500 miles. Owned since 95. He turned down 17k six or seven years ago. You have a willing seller. Commit to it, and keep it for a long time.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.

Last edited by TomS2; Thu, Jan-10-2019 at 11:17:22 PM.
Jump to top TomS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 11:40:18 PM   #25
Rakshas

In the garage:

India

Trying to haggle down a steal based on bolster foam

When I was selling my Mercedes E63, I had a guy try to knock off 2000 dollars because "maintenance in the future might be expensive". I politely informed him that the car was already priced 2000 dollars under market, that maintenance in the future WOULD assuredly be expensive given the car in question, and that his money was no longer good here.
Jump to top Rakshas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 03:46:47 AM   #26
The_Grumpy_Cat

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
Trying to haggle down a steal based on bolster foam

When I was selling my Mercedes E63, I had a guy try to knock off 2000 dollars because "maintenance in the future might be expensive". I politely informed him that the car was already priced 2000 dollars under market, that maintenance in the future WOULD assuredly be expensive given the car in question, and that his money was no longer good here.
I have no intention of haggling with the seller, lol, someone else suggested that I offer less due to the bolster failure....

| 2006 M3 ZCP | Silver Grey & Cinnamon | 6MT | 1 of 4 in North America | @SilberGrauM3 |

Last edited by The_Grumpy_Cat; Fri, Jan-11-2019 at 04:47:32 AM.
Jump to top The_Grumpy_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 04:36:39 AM   #27
Braymond141

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grumpy_Cat View Post
I have no intention of haggling with the seller, lol, someone else suggested that I offer less due to the "bolster failure"....
Don’t get too caught up in the blown out of proportion responses. It isn’t an unreasonable thing to point out on a car in “pristine” condition.

If a car has flaws, don’t play dumb. That detail is a legitimate one and he doesn’t need to be given shit for it (EarthwormJim).
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 04:58:26 AM   #28
Rakshas

In the garage:

India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Donít get too caught up in the blown out of proportion responses. It isnít an unreasonable thing to point out on a car in ďpristineĒ condition.

If a car has flaws, donít play dumb. That detail is a legitimate one and he doesnít need to be given shit for it (EarthwormJim).

Itís not unreasonable to point out, but it is unreasonable to suggest utilizing it to ask for more money off a car thatís already 10k undervalued.
Jump to top Rakshas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 05:35:03 AM   #29
Braymond141

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
It’s not unreasonable to point out, but it is unreasonable to suggest utilizing it to ask for more money off a car that’s already 10k undervalued.
We don’t have an exact number, indepth pictures or the intentions of the person buying it. There’s also a question of actual BaT value simply being an early 95.

This also appears to be a personal contact purchase. You can definitely pick apart a car in this type of a situation (respectfully) and why shouldn’t he? It isn’t even presented that well from the two photos posted on a car with such low miles. Broken tweeter, dirty, floor mats all bunched up, steering wheel looks much older than it should, cankled seat, torn door seal, the huge ****ing bubble in the door panel, ETC ETC ETC... Pick this car apart and get it cheap as possible. You're going to need to put money into restoring it.

Last edited by Braymond141; Fri, Jan-11-2019 at 06:53:45 AM.
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 05:42:40 AM   #30
Earthwormjlm
Imolarot M3

United States

Quote:
It’s not unreasonable to point out, but it is unreasonable to suggest utilizing it to ask for more money off a car that’s already 10k undervalued.
Also unreasonable to call the car a time capsule, which is what people were saying earlier on in the thread. It's a very nice car, and if I was after low mileage, I would definitely consider it at sub $20k. I do not offhand agree with the 10k under value assessment people keep throwing out though. It's a '95 model for one thing, and the interior looks a little dirty. Broken tweeter cover. Small details add up though, especially when you're searching for a pinnacle example.

It's not unreasonable to mention the sagging bolster though. If you're in the market for a collectable E36 example, you should be aware of any issues, otherwise what is the point of posting here? Just to join in on the circle jerk?

Last edited by Earthwormjlm; Fri, Jan-11-2019 at 05:49:32 AM.
Jump to top Earthwormjlm is offline   Reply With Quote