BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 05:25:48 PM   #1
Alpine 318is
Twinscrewed

United States

Default Bought over Built Round 2 - 1998 Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew

Hello M3 Forum,

I wanted to share the next chapter of my BMW journey. Two and half years ago I decided to buy a Eurosport Twinscrew E36 M3 instead of turbo'ing my Estoril M3. It was the right decision at that time in my life and I have absolutely loved the car. It's everything an E36 should be. As much as I loved the car the color scheme, Fern Green on Sand Beige, always just bothered me. Most people like it and give it compliments but it just wasn't for me, but I didn't want to give up the nice bump in power of a stock car so I dealt with it. Then I was browsing BF for sale section and I see "Twin Screw 1998 M3 Estoril Blue." I thought to myself, just don't click in there its only going to make you want it. Lightly put I am obsessed with Estoril, I think it is one of the best BMW colors ever made. I read the for sale ad and it was quit a bit more modified than mine and located in Kansas City, 1800 miles from where I live outside Seattle. It took me about 2 months of convincing myself it wasn't worth the effort before I caved and emailed the seller. After we chatted we had an agreed upon price and I had a flight to Kansas city on my birthday (May 17) to pick up the car and drive it back to Seattle. The trip took us 3 days and other then a bit of exhaust drone we made it in one piece

First Picture:

Couple Pictures from the Trip:

I started work on cleaning up the Fern Green one for sale but a Dyno Day popped up so I decided to take both in and see what the Stage 2 one made over the Stage 1. A whopping 5 RWHP.....needless to say I was pretty disappointed. The car is running really lean and overall the AFR's just suck. I started digging into the car more and more and it started to become obvious that there were a fair amount of things the PO didn't disclose or only told half the story. I went to get an emissions test and the car failed despite not having a CEL present. Turns out the CEL bulb was burnt out and a couple codes are present. The only things I have done to this point was adding Clear Tails.

At the same time I was trying to get the Fern Green M3 for sale I had just started a new job and was in the process of moving so the Estoril didn't get much love but was drove here and there. More recently after wrapping up some projects and getting everything line up I washed the car and took a couple pictures and then put her up on the lift to start the process of digging into some issues. Things I need to do or want to replace.

-Full Exhaust: The Current exhaust is way too loud for my liking so I will be installing AA headers, Section B and a Dinan Catback. Hopefully that quiets it down.
-Suspension: The Spring rates on the coilovers are too high and so I have some lighter ones ready to go in
-CEL Light Fix: Chase down the CEL light, one issue is that one of the Pre Cat O2 sensors isn't plugged into anything.
-Power Steering: New pump, lines and ZHP rack.

That will get me started but I'm sure other things will pop up here and there. Pictures from today:

Both Cars Together

License Plate from my Grandfathers 2000 528i he got on Euro Delivery. Been on 7 of my BMW's since

On the lift ready to go under the Knife

Thanks for looking!

--Seppi
Jump to top Alpine 318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 05:44:54 PM   #2
simon_c

United States

Default Re: Bought over Built Round 2 - 1998 Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew

I've been on the hunt for an estoril E36 m3 and it's tough to find anything at all. Congrats on the buy!
Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 08:12:04 PM   #3
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

Default Subscribed

Funny, I went the other way. Had an ES twinscrew car, planned to swap everything over to my Estoril but was ultimately disappointed with the output/power delivery and ended up going turbo instead. Glad I did as I learned all about the dirty secrets of the ES kit from those in the know... still a nice setup though if you are just looking to keep the car feeling stock-ish. S52 is just begging for boost either way

Incredibly well-built kit too. You can see why it took so long to come to market. Shame they missed the boat, very few aftermarket products have such good fit and finish.

'04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///M3 SMG coupe
V-CSL, BBS CH, Öhlins R&T, Supersprint, Brembo GT, custom Z4M seats, AVIN, G5R projector swap

'06 Jet Black + Black ///M3 SMG coupe
100% Stock. 48k mi ***FOR SALE***

'06 Alpine White + Cinnamon ///M3 ZCP 6MT coupe
Built motor by ACE performance, VF Stage 3, (610whp@16psi), KW V3
Jump to top twentyseven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 08:29:00 PM   #4
lcrain

United States

Very nice car. I am partial to estoril non-sunroof e36 m3s. Mine is a sedan.
Jump to top lcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 10:53:49 PM   #5
Alpine 318is
Twinscrewed

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post
Funny, I went the other way. Had an ES twinscrew car, planned to swap everything over to my Estoril but was ultimately disappointed with the output/power delivery and ended up going turbo instead. Glad I did as I learned all about the dirty secrets of the ES kit from those in the know... still a nice setup though if you are just looking to keep the car feeling stock-ish. S52 is just begging for boost either way

I've never ridden in a Turbo E36 but considering the cost difference the extra power just wasn't worth it for me. I'm even thinking about doing a 3.15 LSD for a longer 1st and 2nd gear. For the driving I do the level of power is perfect.

Incredibly well-built kit too. You can see why it took so long to come to market. Shame they missed the boat, very few aftermarket products have such good fit and finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Very nice car. I am partial to estoril non-sunroof e36 m3s. Mine is a sedan.
I didn't really seek out the non-sunroof but considering I rarely used the last one I guess its nice to lose the weight and have something more simple
Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 11:03:16 PM   #6
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
I've never ridden in a Turbo E36 but considering the cost difference the extra power just wasn't worth it for me. I'm even thinking about doing a 3.15 LSD for a longer 1st and 2nd gear. For the driving I do the level of power is perfect.
The difference a 3.15 will yield will be almost imperceptible - don't bother.

Turbo setups have generally been more affordable than TS believe it or not... it wasn't even about the extra power for me though as mine turbo kit is a Stg1 so very similar numbers. Assuming you didn't buy your kits new but they were about $11k when they were on the market. The $/hp was always the Achilles heel of the twinscrew so if you are happy with what it makes then ''more power to ya''

V-CSL, BBS CH, Öhlins R&T, Supersprint, Brembo GT, custom Z4M seats, AVIN, G5R projector swap

Old Thu, Jan-03-2019, 01:34:33 AM   #7
pbonsalb

I have thought about a 2.93 for my turbo E36M3. With massive torque, a long diff works great. When I had a centrifugal, I kept going shorter — 3.23 to 3.38 to 3.64. Now I have a 3.15.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-03-2019, 05:39:33 PM   #8
abcurran

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Subscribed

Quote:
Glad I did as I learned all about the dirty secrets of the ES kit from those in the know...
I always thought this was the holy grail of forced induction for e36. Linear, stock-like power delivery that was usable without being a dyno queen.

Interested to hear what these dirty secrete are.
Old Thu, Jan-03-2019, 09:45:23 PM   #9
Alpine 318is
Twinscrewed

United States

Quote:
The difference a 3.15 will yield will be almost imperceptible - don't bother.

Turbo setups have generally been more affordable than TS believe it or not... it wasn't even about the extra power for me though as mine turbo kit is a Stg1 so very similar numbers. Assuming you didn't buy your kits new but they were about $11k when they were on the market. The $/hp was always the Achilles heel of the twinscrew so if you are happy with what it makes then ''more power to ya''
The idea of going 3.15 mostly came about when I was under the car yesterday and the diff looks pretty worn and tired. 'IF' I end up replacing it it will be with a 3.15 at that point just for a more useable first and second gear.

Yes to build, absolutely turbos can be much more affordable. I would argue that issues and maintenance is more on a turbo car but I don't have any person experience. I looked for a Turbo Estoril for years and never found the right one at the right price. For me the $/HP of buying over building was better with this Twinscrew than putting together a turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I have thought about a 2.93 for my turbo E36M3. With massive torque, a long diff works great. When I had a centrifugal, I kept going shorter — 3.23 to 3.38 to 3.64. Now I have a 3.15.
The Twinscrew has enough torque low enough compared to a centrifugal, but that with the way I drive 1st and 2nd could use a bit more length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcurran View Post
I always thought this was the holy grail of forced induction for e36. Linear, stock-like power delivery that was usable without being a dyno queen.

Interested to hear what these dirty secrete are.
They are considered the Holy Grail of super chargers but more recently Turbo's have taken over. If you have a decent amount of knowledge you can use a GT35 Turbo, 60lb tune and standard parts to hit 450 rwhp with relative ease.
Old Thu, Jan-03-2019, 10:18:36 PM   #10
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
The idea of going 3.15 mostly came about when I was under the car yesterday and the diff looks pretty worn and tired. 'IF' I end up replacing it it will be with a 3.15 at that point just for a more useable first and second gear.

Yes to build, absolutely turbos can be much more affordable. I would argue that issues and maintenance is more on a turbo car but I don't have any person experience. I looked for a Turbo Estoril for years and never found the right one at the right price. For me the $/HP of buying over building was better with this Twinscrew than putting together a turbo.

The Twinscrew has enough torque low enough compared to a centrifugal, but that with the way I drive 1st and 2nd could use a bit more length.

They are considered the Holy Grail of super chargers but more recently Turbo's have taken over. If you have a decent amount of knowledge you can use a GT35 Turbo, 60lb tune and standard parts to hit 450 rwhp with relative ease.
A 3.15 will only be about 60rpm lower than the 3.23 at most rpm's; it was only used to compensate for the difference in tire size between 95 235/40 and 96+ 245/40. Odds of finding a freshER 3.15 are pretty low given that they are older and fewer made. I'd suggest getting the 3.07 ring and pinion from an e46 non-M and rebuilding your diff with 40% lockup. That should really accomplish your goals nicely and be much better than any 25 year old diff.

I also 'bought not built' my twinscrew car as it was more cost effective - plus the ES kits were NLA anyways so you're basically hostage since not many of them out there to begin with. You probably own 5-10% of the entire population lol. I drove many turbo E36's and the ball bearing turbos spooled too quickly for what I wanted at the time. Being my first turbo car I went with old school journal bearing just to keep the costs down and get my feet wet. Zero complaints. And funny enough everyone is under the impression that turbo kits require more maintenance but it has been one of the most trouble-free mods i've ever done. It has never given me a single issue which even surprised me. Much more work to install and get dialed in, but far more rewarding. My version of a poor man's Supra. With the 6spd swap I get over 30mpg too. As you know the twinscrew isn't exactly fuel efficient lol.

But stoked to see your project evolve. I don't want to make the twinscrew sound like a bad choice by any measure, fun to still see them. People love their character and rightfully so. Shame most of the craftsmanship is hidden, they really are a work of art.