BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 11:27:58 PM   #31
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Danny's Techno Violet Sedan

Welcome, good progress so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
The oil pressure light had been coming on at warm idle when I first bought the car, so I figured I'd try running a heavier weight of oil to see if that would solve it.

It got a little better but didn't fix the issue entirely, even when overfilled by a quart. I replaced the oil pressure switch as well, no change. I have a thread about that specific issue on this forum.

Since the engine runs okay and the oil pressure light goes away with the slightest application of throttle, I'm gonna live with it in the meantime. The eventual goal is to either install an upgraded S52 oil pump + Z3 pickup tube (cracked pickup tubes are apparently a common cause of low oil pressure at warm idle) or go full hog with an S54 oil pan and S54 oil pump, as they're better at handling abuse. That being said, I don't see myself tracking this M3 any time soon (track days cost $$$, whereas parking lot donuts and mountain roads are free) so I might be overthinking it a bit.
This issue is something that has plagued my car as well. But it's likely nothing major. I replaced the oil pump and pickup tube, sender switch, did VANOS, etc etc etc... Long story short, you should still do all those things but the oil squirters inside the block are 99% likely the culprit. I guess what happens is sometimes these get clogged or stuck open or something like that (can't remember exactly but there are threads about it), and that causes the slightly low oil pressure at idle. But pressure builds normally under load and therefore it's not really detrimental to the engine. I would throw a pressure gauge on and check to make sure you are in good shape under load.

#14 on this diagram

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6083

Short of rebuilding the entire block, there's no real way to replace these since they aren't accessible, like, at all... I deal with the issue by also running 15w50 Liqui Moly or Redline, but the flickering oil light still happens when it's hot out or when the engine is slightly low on oil. You can overfill by a half quart or quart which also helps if you get valve lifter noise.

All that being said, it is possible you have an issue with a cracked oil pickup tube, or a oil pump nut, so I won't say not to do that stuff... But if your oil pressure builds fine under load then it's very possible and likely these little ****ers.

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
Jump to top Nate047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-15-2019, 05:37:01 AM   #32
dannyzabolotny

United States

Default Re: Danny's Techno Violet Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Welcome, good progress so far!

This issue is something that has plagued my car as well. But it's likely nothing major. I replaced the oil pump and pickup tube, sender switch, did VANOS, etc etc etc... Long story short, you should still do all those things but the oil squirters inside the block are 99% likely the culprit. I guess what happens is sometimes these get clogged or stuck open or something like that (can't remember exactly but there are threads about it), and that causes the slightly low oil pressure at idle. But pressure builds normally under load and therefore it's not really detrimental to the engine. I would throw a pressure gauge on and check to make sure you are in good shape under load.

#14 on this diagram

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6083

Short of rebuilding the entire block, there's no real way to replace these since they aren't accessible, like, at all... I deal with the issue by also running 15w50 Liqui Moly or Redline, but the flickering oil light still happens when it's hot out or when the engine is slightly low on oil. You can overfill by a half quart or quart which also helps if you get valve lifter noise.

All that being said, it is possible you have an issue with a cracked oil pickup tube, or a oil pump nut, so I won't say not to do that stuff... But if your oil pressure builds fine under load then it's very possible and likely these little ****ers.
Yeah, I figured it could be something deep inside the engine, but it's probably not a bad idea to replace the oil pump and oil pickup tube just to know that it's been done, especially on an engine with 212k miles and no real service records.

I'm already running Mobil 1 15W50 a quart over and the light is still there when the engine is warm, but it's become a little more intermittent lately. I hardly saw it when I drove a bunch earlier today, so who knows, maybe the thicker oil is helping out a bit. With the 0W20 that the previous owner put in, the light was almost always on at idle.