BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Jan-09-2019, 07:32:11 AM   #21
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

Default Re: Danny's Techno Violet Sedan

^ good plan.

Be sure to weld in RTAB pocket reinforcements and rear sway bar (bushing mount) reinforcements when you're in there.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 05:50:15 AM   #22
dannyzabolotny

United States

The other day the M3 got a much-needed oil change. Based on what I saw on the oil change sticker from a generic lube place in Wisconsin, the car had 0W20 oil and was way overdue for an oil change. The stuff that came out was dark and quite thin, gross.

I put in Mobil 1 15W50 and a Mann filter, and the engine sounded a fair bit quieter afterwards, especially in the valvetrain. It rarely ever gets below 50ºF here in Arizona and gets to like 118ºF in the summer, hence my decision to run a thicker oil weight.

It still desperately needs a good detail but it still looks pretty darn good:

A few other small victories today— I got the Pioneer head unit to kinda match the interior lighting. I can certainly live with it for now, especially now that I've dialed out some of the sillier EQ settings from the previous owner; he had the bass at max, treble at max, and all speaker levels cranked up to the point of clipping.

I still need to find an OBC with a working display... mine is missing so many pixels that it's borderline useless. At least the clock works. Eventually I want to put in the full 18-button OBC, but as I understand, that requires a bit of wiring so I'm not in a rush to do that.

The other small victory was getting the extra keys from the previous owner. He promised to mail them to me as he had misplaced them at the time of purchase, and he followed through. Now I have 2 keys and 2 remotes. Having keyless entry is real nice, I really got used to having that with my Range Rover and the E39 I used to own.

As an added bonus, the nicer key works perfectly to lock and unlock the doors manually, whereas the key that I had been using was extremely stubborn and didn't work half of the time without a lot of fiddling.

Next up on the list are rear tires... I have people buying some E39 parts from me in the coming weeks so I'll be able to order a rear set of tires. My buddy runs Riken Raptor ZR A/S tires on his Cosmos M3 coupe and they're surprisingly good in terms of ride quality, road noise, and grip. He's been daily driving with them and doing donuts with them plenty, and they've held up admirably. Plus at $177 shipped for 2 tires, you really can't beat that value.

This is definitely going to be a budget build, no fancy track car stuff here. Just a broke guy daily driving his M3 and trying to fix stuff along the way.
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 05:52:18 AM   #23
cblock

In the garage:

United States

Looks good, interesting oil choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jump to top cblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 06:07:42 AM   #24
dannyzabolotny

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblock View Post
Looks good, interesting oil choice.
The oil pressure light had been coming on at warm idle when I first bought the car, so I figured I'd try running a heavier weight of oil to see if that would solve it.

It got a little better but didn't fix the issue entirely, even when overfilled by a quart. I replaced the oil pressure switch as well, no change. I have a thread about that specific issue on this forum.

Since the engine runs okay and the oil pressure light goes away with the slightest application of throttle, I'm gonna live with it in the meantime. The eventual goal is to either install an upgraded S52 oil pump + Z3 pickup tube (cracked pickup tubes are apparently a common cause of low oil pressure at warm idle) or go full hog with an S54 oil pan and S54 oil pump, as they're better at handling abuse. That being said, I don't see myself tracking this M3 any time soon (track days cost $$$, whereas parking lot donuts and mountain roads are free) so I might be overthinking it a bit.
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 10:20:58 AM   #25
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

15w50 is fine for a warm climate, especially if you'll often be in traffic (or thrashing it). I reason that more people should base their oil decision on their climate and driving conditions.

About the oil pressure there's no chance you have any underdrive pulleys do you? That may cause low pressure readings under some circumstances (I would think). Might be worth a look although I see from your other thread it may be more of a common problem than that.
Old Sun, Jan-13-2019, 05:10:11 AM   #26
dannyzabolotny

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN View Post
15w50 is fine for a warm climate, especially if you'll often be in traffic (or thrashing it). I reason that more people should base their oil decision on their climate and driving conditions.

About the oil pressure there's no chance you have any underdrive pulleys do you? That may cause low pressure readings under some circumstances (I would think). Might be worth a look although I see from your other thread it may be more of a common problem than that.
Pretty sure it doesn't have underdrive pulleys, the engine is bone stock aside from a cold air intake and a tune.
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 06:57:08 AM   #27
dannyzabolotny

United States

If you guys don't want to see a million pictures of my M3, skip this post. Otherwise, read on!

The M3 was in need of some cleaning, as it was still covered in brake dust, road grime, salt, bug splatters, and general grime from its 2000-mile drive home from Wisconsin. Before cleaning it, I had to take care of two major eyesores...

For whatever reason, it had a coupe indicator corner instead of a sedan one. A lot of people don't know it, but the coupe and sedan ones have a different shape. Not sure why BMW felt they needed to do that, but it is what it is. A quick junkyard run procured a decent condition corner so now everything fits and matches correctly, much to my satisfaction.

Before:

After:

Much better!

Next up was removing the stickers on the trunk lid... there was some random "Ridendrive" sticker and a super faded Texas flag sticker.

Before (forgot to take a before pic so here's one from a few days prior)

After:

The Texas flag sticker was particularly hard to remove as it was a giant piece of metal that was seemingly superglued to the trunk lid. Ample amounts of Goo-Gone and zip ties were used to force it off. There's still a few marks from it, but nothing that can't be buffed out when I do a proper paint correction.

With all the glaring cosmetic flaws sorted, it was time to address the rest of the dirty car. I tried to take a few "before" pictures, but they make it look too nice— it was pretty dirty.

I did my usual wash routine with AmmoNYC products— Plum & Brute on the wheels, Foam on the paint, dried off with Hydrate, and finished off with a coating of Spit. Eventually once I do a proper clay bar + paint correction I'll coat it properly with Ammo Skin. Unfortunately it was a bit overcast by the time I was done, but the car still looked real nice.

I even washed/waxed the door jambs, for that extra clean feeling:

Had to get gas afterwards and grabbed a few more pics that showed off the paint color a bit better (I also got 21mpg calculated in mixed driving, not bad!).

You can see my buddy's 2002 540it in the background, it looks remarkably nice for 216k miles!

You can also see how bad the swirls are in some spots:

I wrapped up the day with going to the weekly car show here in Scottsdale. I went with my buddy and his 540it, and somebody showed up in a Hellrot 328i vert so that was cool. Another guy actually showed up with a Techno Violet M3 coupe, but I had to leave before I could get a picture of it.

All in all, a pretty good weekend with the M3! It still needs a bunch of things but I'm glad I can still enjoy it as it is. It gets decent gas mileage, is still pretty fun to drive even with the autotragic, and I love the color.
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 05:25:09 PM   #28
jayjaya29
Photographer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN View Post
The oil pump is chain driven. Underdrive pulleys would have zero effect on the oil pressure.
Jump to top jayjaya29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 06:15:25 PM   #29
Texaz3

United States

Looking good!
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 10:35:52 PM   #30
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
The oil pump is chain driven. Underdrive pulleys would have zero effect on the oil pressure.
lol @me!