BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Jan-25-2019, 02:40:59 AM   #111
Texaz3

United States

Default Re: E36 M3 4-Door: Contracheatcode Build Journal

I actually find E46m seats quite comfortable, but I am 6'2 and 220.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-30-2019, 03:05:27 PM   #112
Contracheatcode

In the garage:

United States

Captain's Log:

Seat Update:

Not going to lie, I love the look and comfort of the e46 m3 seat. But something just is not sitting right for me about the seats. I think my biggest hangup is that you cannot move them too far back as the seat control plastic panel hits the B-pillar. Funny thing, it moves far enough back for me (6-foot tall), but it still bugs me. I am guessing the front door on the sedan is more narrow than the coupe thus this becomes an issue.

I am now leaning towards putting the e36 M3 sedan seats back in the car. Albeit a leather swap from passenger to drivers. I love the look of the Recaro seats (Speed looks nice), but at $1k per seat, I have better places to put that money at this moment.

Front Suspension Update: COMPLETE
With new tie rods, control arms, boots, etc. the front suspension is done. The car is currently at the shop (Valley Motorwerks) getting an alignment, 4-corner balance, and new tires. The drive over was a bit sketchy due to the mis-alignment of the wheels. I did my best to adjust the new tie rods length to that of the old, but it was still super off. Glad the drive was not too long to the shop.

Tires:
Going with the POTENZA RE-71R. I have read amazing things and since I plan to do some autocross, these seem like a good choice. Plus the tread looks cool. That means something right. LOL.

Next Projects (IN ORDER...):
  • Headlight Restoration
  • e36 m3 sedan passenger to drivers seat swap
  • Power steering diagnose and fix leak (or I think that is what is leaking 2-3 drops per night on my garage floor)
  • Auto to manual swap
  • Front bumper repair crack and respray / install lip

Last edited by Contracheatcode; Wed, Jan-30-2019 at 03:11:02 PM.
Jump to top Contracheatcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-30-2019, 03:35:11 PM   #113
Texaz3

United States

Looks like you got your work cut out for ya....
Old Thu, Jan-31-2019, 02:04:54 PM   #114
crqflier

Late to the game. Looks like I missed the first quarter. Great work! Motivates me to refresh my rear suspension bushings. The glue job on the tail light though...? kidding.... Welcome to the e36mOCD club.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Jump to top crqflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-31-2019, 06:00:12 PM   #115
Contracheatcode

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
Late to the game. Looks like I missed the first quarter. Great work! Motivates me to refresh my rear suspension bushings. The glue job on the tail light though...? kidding.... Welcome to the e36mOCD club.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I need the motivation sometimes.

I am a bit OCD by nature. Plus this car is a learning opportunity for me, as this is my first project car. So far, it's turned out to be a good project car. The e36 platform seems relatively straight forward to work on. For instance the number of tools needed is not that numerous. So far 90% of the tools needed come from a good set of metric sockets + the "GearWrench 9902D 16 Piece Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set Metric". Plus a torque wrench to keep things in spec. Though the more I work... the more I feel comfortable approximating the torque when I cannot put a torque wrench on a nut/ bolt due to tight space.
Old Tue, Feb-05-2019, 02:51:19 AM   #116
Contracheatcode

In the garage:

United States

Default E36 M3 4-Door: Contracheatcode Build Journal

Captain's Log: Finished refinishing the stock headlight. Sanded all the way to 3000 grit and then random orbit with a cut then with polish, all followed by wax.

Pictures Before:

Pictures After:
The end result was really fantastic. Only a few light scratches that are noticeable from 6 inches away. Even then you still have to look hard. I found you can keep "chasing" these scratches, but it seems like a never ending cycle. In other words, I would get all the way through polish, find some scratches, then go back with 1000 grit on the section, then 1500, then 3000 on that section. Then polish all again. Then I would find other scratches. This process could go on forever. I keep going until it looked good enough. I would say it's 98% new looking. #1 TIP: Have all the grits (up to 3000) and really move methodically through all of them. After each grit, examine and make sure you got all the previous grit scratches off. Look for uniform finish after each grit. The process does not take that long, so take the extra few minutes on each grit to make sure you got a uniform scratch pattern.

• Headlight Restoration (COMPLETE)
  • e36 m3 sedan passenger to drivers seat swap
  • Power steering diagnose and fix leak (or I think that is what is leaking 2-3 drops per
  • night on my garage floor)
  • Auto to manual swap
  • Front bumper repair crack and respray / install lip

Last edited by Contracheatcode; Tue, Feb-05-2019 at 03:04:38 AM.
Old Sat, Feb-09-2019, 03:57:27 AM   #117
Contracheatcode

In the garage:

United States

Captain's Log: Swapping passenger to driver side leather. All was going well until I was steaming the cushions as the foam bounces back (leather pulled back away from foam), and the steamer was too close to leather (I did not notice while steaming). It burned the leather by accident.

On another note, I really need to get on the auto to manual swap. The auto is killing me.

Arg.

Good news: New 1.5w cluster bulbs from the dealership fixed my odometer fading light.
Old Sun, Feb-17-2019, 12:34:07 AM   #118
Contracheatcode

In the garage:

United States

Captain's Log: Nothing major going on, just enjoying the car. Thinking the auto to manual swap will happen April time period. My list of thing's to do is getting bigger. I think that is a good thing. More to learn.

• e36 m3 sedan passenger to drivers seat swap (PM me if you have a set to sell in NorCal)
  • Power steering diagnose and fix leak (or I think that is what is leaking 2-3 drops per
  • Auto to manual swap (APRIL time period)
  • Spoiler (Really liking the higher version)
  • S50 manifold swap (Is the kit on http://m50manifold.com/ the way to go to ensure a good install?)
  • CARB approved CAI (Open to advice on which one I should consider)
  • Front bumper repair crack and respray / install lip)

Last edited by Contracheatcode; Sun, Feb-17-2019 at 12:46:09 AM.
Old Tue, Feb-26-2019, 02:40:57 PM   #119
Contracheatcode

In the garage:

United States

Default E36 M3 4-Door: Contracheatcode Build Journal

Captain's Log: Picked up some rear seats to replace my mine. When I bought the car, one of the pros was that it was a 1 owner. One of the cons was that the 1 owner had 2 dogs that always sat in back seat. Although there are no rips in the leather, they are pretty beat up. This car is never intended to be brought to full perfect restoration/ stock. But for the price, I think it was a good upgrade. This was not even on my list of projects. Arg.

• e36 m3 sedan passenger to drivers seat swap (PM me if you have a set to sell in NorCal)
  • Auto to manual swap (APRIL time period)
  • Spoiler (Really liking the higher version)
  • S50 manifold swap (Is the kit on http://m50manifold.com/ the way to go to ensure a good install?)
  • CARB approved CAI (Open to advice on which one I should consider)
  • Front bumper repair crack and respray / install lip)

Last edited by Contracheatcode; Tue, Feb-26-2019 at 02:44:46 PM.
Old Tue, Feb-26-2019, 03:53:31 PM   #120
Texaz3

United States

Headlights look fantastic.
I did this on my car as well, but I skipped the sandpaper, and just used coarse grit polishing compound to start, and gradually switched to fine polish and then sealant. YOu go through few polishing pads, but no manual labor and no scratching.