BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jan-16-2017, 09:01:25 PM   #1581
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E46 M3 Market Sales Tracker: Please Report Your Purchase or Sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenhart View Post
I don't think this is meaningful stats without knowing the investment into the vehicle. Knowing the average doesn't do anyone any good because we're not buying every car, we're buying one. Knowing only the mileage at this point would be a horrible way to buy this car. You need to know all sorts of things, like you did allude to in your post, at least, but you can't just have this data on it own, it's meaningless as a buyer or seller whom this thread is for.

Don't get me wong, it's cool that you put this together for real but

Condition is most important - timely service of all maintenance items, paint, interior etc.
Then cpe or vert
then miles
Combos of color/tranny
then year or other options maybe
etc..

Something like that would describe it imo

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"

Last edited by TboneM3; Mon, Jan-16-2017 at 09:05:53 PM.
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jan-16-2017, 09:44:25 PM   #1582
maw1124

In the garage:

United States

^Fair comment.

I'd rank the value drivers as follows:

(1) Year;
(2) Model (ZCP or not, Coupe or Convertible);
(3) Color Combo;
(4) Maintenance History; and
(5) Mileage (fifth only because these are 300k mile cars, easy, if cared for).
(6) Condition (I'm not worried about worn interior bits on the right car -- replace them).

Just my ranking. The market may or not agree, but... My $.02

maw
Jump to top maw1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-17-2017, 12:05:53 AM   #1583
UDPride

United States

In my opinion, condition will always trump everything else. You cannot fake condition, and immaculate condition is not cheap to maintain. The condition of the car is a direct reflection on the prior owner(s) and how they viewed the car.

Next would be the spec of the car. You have to buy what you like. Some colors and specs will always be harder to find, but no sense buying just to buy if you aren't going to be happy with it. When you find the color and spec you want in great condition, I think everything else falls into place. The mileage becomes secondary. The specific year becomes secondary, etc. The price of the car is ultimately going to be steered predominately by condition.

In a perfect world a car in great condition also has the maintenance records with it. But its amazing how few do. My car was perfect and had 17,000 miles, but the prior owners never thought passing along the receipts would be beneficial by the time I got it. I wish I could flog car owners for this.

Ever car Ive ever owned, I have a binder with every receipt in it I ever spent in nice plastic protected sheets in chronological order, and also a spreadsheet that line-item summarizes every transaction in the binder. I want people to think Im so over-the-top nuts they have to buy the car from me no matter what price Im asking. If I so much as buy a screw or nut for the car, I archive the paperwork. They may not like my car, but they aren't saying no because they dont have all the answers.
2006 CAYMAN S | 45K mi | Guards | Tweaked but Daily Driven

Front Engined! Mid-Engined! Rear-Engined!
There Is No Substitute for the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Jump to top UDPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-18-2017, 12:33:44 AM   #1584
liam821

United States

Are you the Buyer or Seller?: Buyer
Model Year: 2005
Mileage: 17,017 miles
Coupe or Convertible?: Coupe
Exterior Color: Interlagos Blue
Interior Color: Black Cloth (G8AT)
Manual or SMG?: SMG
Major Options: Xenon's, ZCP, sunroof delete, cloth interior, manual seats
Under Warranty?: No
Overall Condition (Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor): Excellent 10/10
Any unusual items that affected value?: Super low mileage, Brembo BBK front/back, Bilstein PSS9, bunch of turner motorsports suspension parts, subframe inspection/reinforcement, full PPI
With Whom Did You Complete the Sale? (Private, BMW Dealership, Other Dealership, Auction): Private
How Did You Find Seller/Buyer?: Autotrader

Sale Location (City, State): Naperville, IL
Sale Date (Month, Year): Jan 2017
Seller Asking Price: $30,990
Final Sales Price (amount seller received): $28,500
Est. Published Value, if known (KBB, Edmunds TMV, NADA, etc.): unknown
Other Comments (amount of time in the market, successful negotiating tactics, words of advice, pictures, etc.): I've been looking for an example like this for months, getting harder to find super lower mileage mint condition examples that are not being sold by EAG with a large markup. Grab 'em while you can!
Jump to top liam821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-18-2017, 05:05:17 AM   #1585
HD-M3

Puerto Rico

Are you the Buyer or Seller?:Buyer
Model Year: 2004
Mileage: 27,900
Coupe or Convertible?: coupe
Exterior Color: Alpine White
Interior Color: Cinnamon
Manual or SMG?: Manual
Major Options: Harman Kardon sound system, xenons, park assist, sunroof, leather, power seats.
Under Warranty? (if yes, please indicate type and remaining coverage):no
Overall Condition (Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor):excellent
Any unusual items that affected value?: no
With Whom Did You Complete the Sale? (Private, BMW Dealership, Other Dealership, Auction):private
How Did You Find Seller/Buyer?: local classifieds

Sale Location (City, State): Puerto Rico
Sale Date (Month, Year): Jan 2017
Seller Asking Price:
Final Sales Price (amount seller received):
Est. Published Value, if known (KBB, Edmunds TMV, NADA, etc.): unknown
Other Comments (amount of time in the market, successful negotiating tactics, words of advice, pictures, etc.): over 5 years looking before pulling the trigger. Good color combo w/ 6mt and low miles without braking the bank was hard to find.

Last edited by HD-M3; Wed, Mar-15-2017 at 06:17:37 AM.
Jump to top HD-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-18-2017, 07:32:12 AM   #1586
armenhart

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
I don't think this is meaningful stats without knowing the investment into the vehicle. Knowing the average doesn't do anyone any good because we're not buying every car, we're buying one. Knowing only the mileage at this point would be a horrible way to buy this car. You need to know all sorts of things, like you did allude to in your post, at least, but you can't just have this data on it own, it's meaningless as a buyer or seller whom this thread is for.

Don't get me wong, it's cool that you put this together for real but

Condition is most important - timely service of all maintenance items, paint, interior etc.
Then cpe or vert
then miles
Combos of color/tranny
then year or other options maybe
etc..

Something like that would describe it imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
^Fair comment.

I'd rank the value drivers as follows:

(1) Year;
(2) Model (ZCP or not, Coupe or Convertible);
(3) Color Combo;
(4) Maintenance History; and
(5) Mileage (fifth only because these are 300k mile cars, easy, if cared for).
(6) Condition (I'm not worried about worn interior bits on the right car -- replace them).

Just my ranking. The market may or not agree, but... My $.02

maw
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDPride View Post
In my opinion, condition will always trump everything else. You cannot fake condition, and immaculate condition is not cheap to maintain. The condition of the car is a direct reflection on the prior owner(s) and how they viewed the car.

Next would be the spec of the car. You have to buy what you like. Some colors and specs will always be harder to find, but no sense buying just to buy if you aren't going to be happy with it. When you find the color and spec you want in great condition, I think everything else falls into place. The mileage becomes secondary. The specific year becomes secondary, etc. The price of the car is ultimately going to be steered predominately by condition.

In a perfect world a car in great condition also has the maintenance records with it. But its amazing how few do. My car was perfect and had 17,000 miles, but the prior owners never thought passing along the receipts would be beneficial by the time I got it. I wish I could flog car owners for this.

Ever car Ive ever owned, I have a binder with every receipt in it I ever spent in nice plastic protected sheets in chronological order, and also a spreadsheet that line-item summarizes every transaction in the binder. I want people to think Im so over-the-top nuts they have to buy the car from me no matter what price Im asking. If I so much as buy a screw or nut for the car, I archive the paperwork. They may not like my car, but they aren't saying no because they dont have all the answers.
Main problem with ranking the condition is that while 10/10 is the same for everyone (straight out of the factory 0 miles), 9/10...8/10...etc are definitely not the same for people. My buddy bought a 2002 m3 a couple months ago and he looked at the interior as a 7/10 while I rated it a 9/10 (it's ridiculously clean). But he was more accustomed to always having new cars whereas I have never owned a new car so I'm used to the "used" look.

I wish I was better with excel and maybe make some some 3d charts that could factor everything in. I made the mileage x price chart knowing that it wasn't an end-all-be-all to the discussion of 'what is an e46 m3 worth' but rather a simplified form of that. Something easy to look at. I supposed I should've made that clearer in my original post.

Regardless, thanks for criticism. I'll keep working at it since it intrigues me, maybe one day I'll come up with something actually useful!

AKG | GC | Turner | Achilles | Redish | Apex | Exhaust
Instagram: armenhart_m3
Jump to top armenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-18-2017, 02:49:10 PM   #1587
rhythim
Career parts guy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDPride View Post

^This. My 'vert had 110K on it when I bought it, but the impeccable service history is what sold me on it, even though it came in the form of a manilla folder stuffed full of receipts somewhat haphazardly. I've since put all of it in a 3-ring binder and cataloged/organized it chronologically and log everything on an Excel spreadsheet. Every car I've sold has been passed on to the next owner this way, even the 1986 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 70K original miles on it I sold last November. The guy couldn't get the cash out of his pocket fast enough, and I was asking way over market for it. It makes a difference.
Jump to top rhythim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-19-2017, 06:43:25 PM   #1588
Ceshomru

In the garage:

United States

Are you the Buyer or Seller?: Buyer
Model Year: 2003
Mileage: 148K
Coupe or Convertible?: Coupe
Exterior Color: Silver
Interior Color: Imola Red
Manual or SMG?: SMG
Major Options: No Sunroof and manual seats
Under Warranty? :No
Overall Condition (Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor): Very Good
Any unusual items that affected value?: Needs new headliner and a couple of new trim clips
With Whom Did You Complete the Sale? (Private, BMW Dealership, Other Dealership, Auction): Small Dealer
How Did You Find Seller/Buyer?: Craigslist

Sale Location (City, State): Houston, TX
Sale Date (Month, Year): Dec 2016
Seller Asking Price: $10,000
Final Sales Price (amount seller received): $8500
Est. Published Value, if known (KBB, Edmunds TMV, NADA, etc.): UK
Other Comments (amount of time in the market, successful negotiating tactics, words of advice, pictures, etc.): Car was a single owner with all records maintained. Body and interior were in terrific condition considering the age. Zero rust anywhere.

Jump to top Ceshomru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-23-2017, 02:26:48 AM   #1589
AngelesCrest

United States

This thread is so confusing. The price of these cars is all over the board, maintenance records or not. No seeming rhyme or reason. It seems like there are quite a few that are selling for KBB/NADA value, especially <100,000 mile examples. Does having over 100,000 miles significantly reduce the price, even with mods and service records?
Jump to top AngelesCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-23-2017, 02:43:16 AM   #1590
maw1124

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelesCrest View Post
This thread is so confusing. The price of these cars is all over the board, maintenance records or not. No seeming rhyme or reason. It seems like there are quite a few that are selling for KBB/NADA value, especially <100,000 mile examples. Does having over 100,000 miles significantly reduce the price, even with mods and service records?
Yes, re: sub-100k mile examples. I don't know about how significant that difference is though. Seems to me top of the market is $25k-$30k, for sub-100k mile manual coupes of rare/desirable color combos. The manual, coupe thing is weird to me -- manual I guess I understand (although that's changing, with the advent of SMG and PDK to the "collector" mix), but not coupe over convertible. So with the exception of a coupe preference, I think it tracks Car Collecting 101 -- low mileage (sub 100k since these are German Muscle not American), late models ('05/'06), rare/desirable color combos (non-gray or black interiors), manuals -- command premiums. Today, that premium price is $25k to $30k, non-premium is mid-teens. Maybe the premium rises in the future (as the car ages), maybe not. But the lines will be the same I think -- sub100k miles, late model, desirable colors, manual.

Where I depart from most is I think the SMG convertibles will overtake the manual coupes. I think the market is working on a logic that doesn't appreciate how much the "auto manuals" (dual clutches, PDKs and the like) have overtaken the classic manuals, first on the race track and now therefore in real life.

maw

Last edited by maw1124; Mon, Jan-23-2017 at 04:09:55 PM.
Jump to top maw1124 is offline   Reply With Quote